If you enjoy eggplant you have to try this creamy eggplant dip. The perfect appetizer to serve up with pita chips, crisp vegetables, and more. This roasted eggplant dip is loaded with flavor and so simple to make.
This Creamy Eggplant Dip Is...
- Dairy Free
- Easy Appetizer Recipe
How to Make Creamy Eggplant Dip
Full directions for how to make this eggplant dip recipe, this is a quick walk through.
- Preheat your oven as directed. Then wash and prep your eggplant.
- Slice eggplant lengthwise and place cut side down on a baking sheet.
- Bake as directed, and then allow the eggplant to cool.
- Then remove the flesh and place in a food processor, and then add the other ingredients.
- Blend until creamy, and then chill in the fridge.
Helpful Tips for Eggplant Dip
You can use a high speed blender or food processor for mixing up the eggplant with the other ingredients. Just make sure it is going to make it blended to become creamy.
Flesh Side Down
Make sure that when you bake the eggplant you place it flesh side down. This will help ensure the eggplant cooks properly without drying out.
Variations to Eggplant Dip Recipe
Spices and Herbs
Feel free to change up the spices used for making the eggplant dip. I used cumin and garlic but you could easily swap with salt, pepper, Indian inspired spices, etc.
Plant Based Dairy
If you want feel free to add in some plant based dairy. I have really liked using a plain non-dairy yogurt to elevate the creaminess of the dip even more.
If you like onion toss in some red onion to help elevate the dip even more in richness and flavor.
You can top with some pumpkin seeds or even pine nuts for a nice crunch factor. Or even toss some nuts in to blend up with the eggplant.
Eggplant Dip FAQs
What is a good seasoning to put on eggplant?
Cumin, garlic, coriander, and smoked paprika are all very popular spices to use when flavoring eggplant. Any of these would be delicious in this dip.
Should I peel eggplant?
You do not have to peel eggplant, as the skin is completely edible to consume. But, you will find the skin can be tough and that is why most peel eggplant before eating.
How to store eggplant dip?
Place your dip in an airtight container and store in the fridge for 4-5 days. Then serve the dip cold with crackers, vegetables, pita bread, or any other dipper of choice. This dip also is delicious spread on bread when making a sandwich.
Can I grill eggplant instead of baking in oven?
If you don't want to roast your eggplant you can grill it instead. Just cook with the skin on and then once the eggplant is cooked and cooled then peel and blend the same. Grilling your eggplant will of course alter the flavor of the dip a bit. I find it adds an enhanced flavor.
- Preheat oven to 400 F, wash and slice eggplant lengthwise then lay cut-side down on a large baking sheet.
- Cook for 40 minutes, or until softened.
- Allow eggplant to cool, then carefully scoop out the insides from the skin. Add to a food processor or high speed blender along with half the oil, lemon juice, cumin, garlic powder, salt.
- Blend on high speed and once smooth carefully drizzle in the remaining olive oil and continue to blend until creamy and light
- Chill in the refrigerator, serve with veggies, crackers, etc