It’s a bit of a mystery how Brussels sprouts became one of the go-to veggies on the Thanksgiving menu — after all, they likely originated in ancient Rome, not the early Americas. We’re thankful that they did, though, and because fall is their true growing season, making them as welcome at our national harvest celebration as the more traditional corn and squashes.
You may have remembered the awesome grilled veggie tacos we posted over the summer featuring fresh veggies and herbs all from my local Food Lion. Well this fall I’m excited to see the continued abundance of affordably priced, fresh, seasonal vegetables, fruits and herbs (with plenty of organic options) available at Food Lion. It got me inspired thinking about exciting new takes on traditional Thanksgiving sides, especially the Brussels sprouts!
It’s not as hard to see why these mini-cabbages became practically the candy of the vegetable world — somewhere along the way, someone figured out that roasting brings out their best. A full pan of these roasted beauties, with their warm, sweet flavor, will disappear quickly — they’re downright addictive!
For those who aren’t as crazy about kale as everyone else seems to be, Brussels sprouts, a cousin from the cruciferous vegetable family, is an appealing alternative. Packed with vitamins (especially K and C), minerals, antioxidants, and fiber, you’d do well to add them to your weekly repertoire all throughout the fall.
In this delectable dish, the Brussels sprouts are coated with a sweet apple cider glaze, with a hint of maple syrup and mustard. The optional pomegranate gives the dish a pop of color that’s really festive. This recipe makes a company-sized helping as a side dish. For everyday meals, it’s easy to cut the amount of all the ingredients in half.
- Preheat the oven to 400º F.
- Trim the ends from the Brussels sprouts. Cut larger ones in half; leave small ones whole. Remove and discard any discolored leaves.
- Line a roasting pan with baking parchment. Arrange the Brussels sprouts in a single layer and drizzle the olive oil evenly over them. Place the roasting pan in the oven.
- Start the glaze at once. Dissolve the cornstarch in a little of the cider.
- Heat the cider in a small saucepan. When it comes to a gentle simmer, whisk in the dissolved cornstarch and cook just until thickened.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the maple syrup and mustard.
- Remove the roasting pan from the oven and pour the glaze over the Brussels sprouts, stirring continually — the nooks and crevices will absorb more than you’d expect!
- Return the sprouts to the oven and continue to roast for 15 to 20 minutes longer, or until touched with brown spots here and there.
- Season with salt and pepper while still in the pan, then transfer to a serving dish.
- If using pomegranate seeds for garnish, scatter over the top. Serve at once, or cover and keep warm until needed.
Check out more great Thanksgiving recipes on Food Lion's Recipe page.
Leave a comment telling me what your favorite fresh take on a Thanksgiving recipe and you will be entered to win a $100 Food Lion Gift Card!
No duplicate comments.
You may receive (2) total entries by selecting from the following entry methods:
1. Leave a comment in response to the sweepstakes prompt on this post
2. Tweet (public message) about this promotion; including exactly the following unique term in your tweet message: “#SweepstakesEntry”; and leave the URL to that tweet in a comment on this post
3. Blog about this promotion, including a disclosure that you are receiving a sweepstakes entry in exchange for writing the blog post, and leave the URL to that post in a comment on this post
4. For those with no Twitter or blog, read the official rules to learn about an alternate form of entry.
This giveaway is open to US Residents age 18 or older (or nineteen (19) years of age or older in Alabama and Nebraska). Winners will be selected via random draw, and will be notified by e-mail. The notification email will come directly from BlogHer via the [email protected] email address. You will have 2 business days to respond; otherwise a new winner will be selected.
The Official Rules are available here.
This sweepstakes runs from 10/17/16-11/23/16