Fully loaded chickpea veggie burgers are full of fresh vegetables, whole grains and of course spices for flavoring. Serve your veggie burgers on a bun with your favorite condiments and toppings. A delicious chickpea burger that is bursting with flavor.
Do you love veggie burgers? I sure do, and you will find there are tons of recipes to try out. Make sure to check out these vegetarian grilling recipes or tailgating vegetarian recipes for more vegetable filled recipes.
These Chickpea Veggie Burgers Are...
- Made with Whole Grains
- Fresh Vegetables
How to Make Chickpea Veggie Burgers
Full directions on how to make these chickpea veggie burgers are in the printable recipe card.
- In a pan you are going to cook your vegetables to saute them to soften them. Once softened, set aside to cool.
- Next you will add in the chickpeas, rice, oats, and Italian seasoning, chia egg, and parsley, into a food processor. Toss in the veggies.
- Pulse 3-4 times until it is a coarse texture.
- Make 4 equal patties, and then set aside.
- Heat oil in the pan, and then sear on each side as directed.
- Serve on a bun with condiments.
Helpful Tips For Veggie Burgers
Food Processor - Pulse
Make sure you pulse and don't just allow it to puree. You want to have texture to your veggie burgers, so a few pulses is all it takes. You just want to break up the vegetables a bit.
Heavy Duty Skillet
Using a quality skillet is going to allow the oil to heat evenly. This will prevent hot spots and an uneven cook on your veggie burgers.
Variations to Chickpea Veggie Burgers
If you don't want to use brown rice you can use white, Jasmine or any other variety of rice you would like. This is a great recipe to use for next-day rice.
So I seasoned this with Italian seasoning, but if you would prefer a different flavor you can season with a seasonal salt, Cajun spices, etc. Feel free to flavor as you wish, or do a simple salt and pepper.
Instead of serving your burgers on a bun, lighten it up with lettuce. Use large lettuce leaves to mimic the wrap and dive in!
Chickpea Veggie Burgers FAQs
How to store leftover veggie burgers?
Any burgers you do not eat right away can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days. Just reheat in the microwave or warm in a skillet on the stove. You can also freeze your burgers, for 2-3 months. Then thaw in the fridge overnight or warm it up from being frozen.
How to make a chia seed egg?
You will add your chia seeds with the water and allow it to sit and thicken. It is very important to give the mixture time to thicken. This is going to become nice and thick and will act as the binder to hold the ingredients together.
Does this recipe double well?
Yes, it sure can be doubled or even tripled. Just make as many burgers as you would like. This recipe makes 4 burgers.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 1 cup matchstick carrots
- 1 stalk celery diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 can chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 1 cup quick oats
- ½ cup cooked brown rice
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds + 3 tablespoons of water one chia “egg”
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a medium pan, heat olive oil over medium heat, then add onion, carrots, and celery and cook, stirring frequently, until veggies start to soften, 2-3 minutes, stir in the garlic and cook an additional minute; set aside to cool
- Add the chickpeas, oats, brown rice, chopped parsley, chia egg, italian seasoning and salt to a large food processor along with the cooked veggies.
- Pulse 3-4 times, until the mixture is coarse but not pureed
- Divide the mixture into 4 equal portions, and shape each into a small patty
- Heat a large greased skillet over medium high heat, and cook the patties 4-5 minutes each side, or until golden brown and cooked through
- Serve on a bun with your favorite toppings!
Something to say? Leave a comment.