This vegan banana bread baked oatmeal with chocolate chips is the perfect dessert for breakfast! Made with just a few simple ingredients, it has an incredible banana bread flavour, a soft texture, and is ready in around 30 minutes. Gluten-free.
I love breakfast, a lot. I also love dessert. But something that's even better is dessert for breakfast. I mean, I just love starting my mornings with a treat that tastes like cake, but requires very minimal fuss. And the fewer ingredients, the better. That way, I can get something cosy on the table in no time!
That's exactly the case with this banana bread baked oatmeal. If you love banana bread, you will love this delicious morning treat. Give it a go, and you will see for yourself the full potential of enjoying dessert for breakfast.
What's to love about this vegan banana bread baked oatmeal?
In short? Pretty much everything. I've been making it non-stop for breakfast, and there's absolutely no end in sight to my addiction. After all, it's banana bread and oatmeal - two absolute breakfast classics - put together!
If you've never tried baked oatmeal before, I couldn't recommend it more. It's great if you're not a fan of normal oatmeal because of the texture. Baked oatmeal is more 'cakey', but still has the same amazing flavour. Plus, the addition of banana and peanut butter make it more moist and of course, add that classical banana/peanut butter flavour.
I also added chocolate chips because you just can't go wrong with chocolate. Then, all you need are a few more simple ingredients, 30 minutes, and you're good to go!
Ingredients and substitutions
- Oats. Ensure gluten-free if necessary.
- Coconut sugar. Maple syrup also works well.
- Dark chocolate chips. Optional, but very much recommended! You can also add fresh/frozen berries.
- Cinnamon. This will make your kitchen smell amazing!
- Peanut butter. You can leave this out, or replace with any other nut/seed butter of your choice.
- Mashed banana. You will also need extra for adding on top of the oatmeal.
- Vegan yoghurt. I usually use soy yoghurt or coconut yoghurt.
- Plant based milk. Any plant based milk of your choice will work.
- Baking powder.
How to make banana bread oats
It's incredibly easy! Firstly, preheat the oven to 180 degrees C (350 F).
Meanwhile, add the oats, coconut sugar, chocolate chips, salt, cinnamon, peanut butter, mashed banana, vegan yoghurt, plant based milk and baking powder to a mixing bowl and stir together well.
Transfer the batter to a rectangular baking dish, adding extra banana coins and chocolate chips on top. Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes.
Can I make this ahead of time?
Yes - this baked oatmeal makes a great meal prep option. You can keep it in the fridge as individual portions in an airtight container for up to 4-5 days.
Other vegan oatmeal recipes you might love
- Pumpkin baked oatmeal.
- Savoury oatmeal with zucchini and black beans.
- Chocolate coconut oatmeal.
- Banana oatmeal cookies.
- Carrot cake oats.
Let me know in the comments: what's your favourite way to cook oats? If you give this vegan banana bread baked oatmeal a go, be sure to tag me on Instagram (@ohmyveggies), so I can see your creations, and leave your feedback in the comments below together with a star rating.
- Conventional oven
- Rectangular baking dish
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C (350 F).
- Add the oats, coconut sugar, chocolate chips, salt, cinnamon, peanut butter, mashed banana, vegan yoghurt, plant based milk and baking powder to a mixing bowl and stir together well.
- Transfer the batter to a rectangular baking dish, adding extra banana coins and chocolate chips on top. Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes.