Guides/ Tips & Hints

9 Ways to Use Leftover Cranberry Sauce

9 Ways to Use Leftover Cranberry Sauce

9 Ways to Use Leftover Cranberry Sauce
As I mentioned yesterday, this was the first Thanksgiving that I cooked myself. And it was my first time making cranberry sauce. And we have lots of cranberry sauce left over. LOTS! So much, in fact, that I’ve (desperately) started trying to think of different ways to use leftover cranberry sauce. Sure, we could just eat it as is, but how much fun is that? (Answer: Not very.)

Cranberry-Glazed Brussels Sprouts: Roast some brussels sprouts and toss with a little bit of your leftover cranberry sauce. We had this over the weekend and it was a nice, easy side. (I’ve also done this with roasted winter squash too.)

Thanksgiving Leftover Sandwiches: Why not, right? And no, this doesn’t have to be a gross, sloppy mess. Check out this Turkey Cranberry Panini on Following in My Shoes. I had planned on making these with any leftover Field Roast that we had, but we didn’t end up having any left. Next year!

Cranberry Flavored Cream Cheese: Mix a little cranberry sauce into some plain cream cheese for a deliciously different bagel topping.

Whole wheat muffins made with cranberry sauce
Cranberry Muffins: Stir some cranberry sauce into your favorite muffin or quick bread recipe.

Cranberry Orange Popsicles: Ever since buying a Zoku, I’m all about finding new and different ways to make popsicles. Mixing orange juice and cranberry sauce would make a sweet-yet-tart frozen treats. You could do this as a granita too.

Cranberry Syrup: Simmer the cranberry sauce on low heat and add some orange juice until it’s a syrup-y consistency. This is the perfect syrup to top pumpkin pancakes or gingerbread waffles.

Cranberry Sauce Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Cranberry + Cheddar Grilled Cheese: Start with some sturdy bread and top with sharp cheddar and some of your leftover cranberry sauce. It’s a little messy, but it is so good!

Cranberry Apple Pie: Make your favorite apple pie recipe and add some cranberry sauce to the apple mixture before baking.

Baked Sweet Potatoes with Cranberry Topping: I love baked sweet potatoes and topping them with a spoonful of cranberry sauce is so much tastier than adding butter or brown sugar.

What are your favorite ways to use leftover cranberry sauce?

Liz @ ANIAN
    November 28, 2011 at 8:50 am

Sadly, cranberry sauce is the first thing I run out of every year, and once it’s gone, I’m no longer interested in any of the leftovers. I like it THAT much!

The Type A Housewife
      November 28, 2011 at 8:57 pm

That’s funny, because I really like cranberry sauce, but I need it with other things & it always ends up being the last thing we have left. If I have nothing to put it on/with, I’m at a loss, hence the list. πŸ™‚

Kelly
    November 28, 2011 at 8:56 am

I love these! For some reason I’m in the minority and would much rather all of the leftover Thanksgiving side dishes than the turkey. Unfortunately all of the cranberry sauce I made got gobbled up and we didn’t have any leftovers but I’ll make a double batch at Christmas so I can try these out!

The Type A Housewife
      November 28, 2011 at 8:58 pm

Even when I ate meat, I wasn’t crazy about turkey. The sides are the best part!

Toni @ A Daily Dose
    November 28, 2011 at 10:44 am

OHHH I bet the muffins would be divine. I love cranberry sauce, it’s my favorite side dish…or the sweet potato casserole. Probably bad that my two faves are the sweet thigns LOL

The Type A Housewife
      November 28, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Well, sweet potatoes are really healthy! And cranberries are full of antioxidants. So just focus on the good, not the bad. πŸ™‚

Jen-Eighty MPH Mom
    November 28, 2011 at 11:40 am

I love these ideas! The cream cheese is a great one!

Audrey
    November 28, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Winter squash is fairly tasteless. What a fun way to put some sweetness into the flavor. I tend to use jarred jellied cranberry sauce, but I’m certain that would work too. Thanks for sharing your ideas.

The Type A Housewife
      November 28, 2011 at 9:04 pm

This was the first time I made my own cranberry sauce and I was surprised at how easy it was. But to be honest, I really like the canned stuff too. I used to always buy a bunch of cans when they were discounted after Thanksgiving. I can vouch for the fact that the canned stuff is really good on sweet potatoes and I bet it would work on the squash too. πŸ™‚

Beeb Ashcroft
    November 28, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Thank you for this! I have a jar of cranberry sauce left over and I was wondering what to do with it. Pancakes is a great idea! Now, what shall I do with the leftover jar of gravy? LOL!

The Type A Housewife
      November 28, 2011 at 9:06 pm

Ooh, I just saw a recipe today for mashed potato pancakes with gravy. It made me wish I had leftover mashed potatoes! Other than that, I’m at a loss. πŸ™‚

Beeb Ashcroft
        November 29, 2011 at 6:22 pm

Ooh, I made potato pancakes prior to Thanksgiving and they were yummy! They’d be really nice with gravy. I’ll probably cook the gravy with some meat or something.

Matt @ FaveDiets
    November 28, 2011 at 6:27 pm

What a great recipe round-up! I’ve seen lots of leftover turkey recipes, but this list definitely interests me more.

Jennifer @therebelch
    November 28, 2011 at 7:01 pm

I’ve never actually eaten cranberry sauce, but those apple cranberry sauce muffins sound yummy!

Julie
    November 28, 2011 at 7:14 pm

OH!!!! I sounds wonderful on winter squash! We primarily used it on sandwiches and then I dumped it (along with 3 lbs of stuffing) in the trash. It’s salad time!

This was our first thanksgiving too. How did the turkey turn out? Surprisingly we only set off our smoke alarm twice, but the turkey turned out great!

The Type A Housewife
      November 28, 2011 at 9:10 pm

3 pounds of stuffing!? WOW! Since it was just me & my husband (our families are up in Illinois), I didn’t make very much food, so apart from the cranberry sauce, we didn’t have a ton of leftovers.

We don’t eat meat, so no turkey for us, which made things easier for me. πŸ™‚ I remember all the drama surrounding how to cook it, when it’s done, making sure it’s not too dry, etc.

Audrey
    November 28, 2011 at 9:10 pm

Since you like the canned stuff also, pour two cans into the crockpot, then throw in a roast, I use the most on sale roast I can find. Add in half a packet of onion soup mix and then water. Comes out delicious πŸ™‚

Danielle S
    November 28, 2011 at 10:43 pm

We love it on our toast in the morning, and making it our jam on peanut butter and jam sandwiches.

Maria
    November 28, 2011 at 10:48 pm

I’m definitely one of the ladies that enjoys the sides better than the turkey! Great recipes and ideas, though!

BKWilliams
    November 29, 2011 at 12:14 am

All of these sound delish, but my favorite would be the cranberry cream cheese! Spread on a flour tortilla, roll up real tight and then cut in 1/2 inch slices and make pinwheels. Sorry, your posts make me hungry every time.

The Type A Housewife
      November 29, 2011 at 7:45 am

YES! That would be so good! I love those cream cheese pinwheels. πŸ™‚

{Not Quite} Susie
    November 29, 2011 at 12:24 am

I can’t stand cranberries BUT my Hubby LOVES them so I’ll have to make one of those for him! πŸ™‚

Val
    November 29, 2011 at 11:09 am

Fantastic ideas and post! My family is notorious for forgetting to put the cranberry sauce out so these are perfect for us. πŸ™‚

Leslie
    November 29, 2011 at 3:58 pm

Oh yes, and am I ever glad we still have some because it’s great on oatmeal!

The Type A Housewife
      November 29, 2011 at 7:48 pm

Oh, another good idea that I didn’t even think of! Cranberry sauce would be fantastic on oatmeal!

ElfRenee
    November 29, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Cranberry cream cheese!!! Yum!!! These all sound good, I love cranberry sauce.

Creative Kitchen
    December 13, 2011 at 11:17 am

Love, love cranberry sauce!! Just made my first homemade batch this year as well. It is SO good! I used to love the canned jellied kind, but now that I am in love with fresh real cranberries I want to put them in everything.

Recently made cranberry orange scones for the first time. Last year lemon cranberry muffins. I love this list…gave me many ideas I hadn’t thought of. This year I used leftovers on my salads. It was good!!

The Type A Housewife
      December 13, 2011 at 9:04 pm

Yes! I always liked the canned kind too–the kind that would just plop out and retain the shape of the can. πŸ™‚ But the homemade stuff was so good and now I’m on a cranberry kick too. I love how they pop open when you cook them. Just made chipotle cranberry ketchup today!

Rachel @ Following In My Shoes
    November 17, 2012 at 10:58 pm

First, thanks for mentioning my sandwich — sorry it took an entire year for me to notice!

Second, GENIUS to put it on roasted sweet potatoes. That sounds REALLY good.

November 19, 2012 at 5:26 pm

Ha! And I totally need to save some leftovers to make that sandwich this year. I’ve been doing cranberry sauce on a grilled cheese this week though, which is also pretty darn amazing.

Camille Anderson
    November 20, 2012 at 11:17 am

A tip I got from my coworker is to add leftover cranberry sauce to your cornbread mix and bake as usual. It puts a yummy, tangy spin on cornbread paired with soup from leftover turkey.

November 20, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Adding it to cornbread is a great idea–thank you!

Mary Beth Elderton
    November 20, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Ooooh! Cranberry Syrup! Great idea!

michele
    November 26, 2013 at 1:45 pm

I put slices of brie on whole wheat crackers & top with my homemade cranberry sauce. Looks like I worked & everyone loves it. It’s a great idea when folks drop by & you want to put something out quickly!

November 26, 2013 at 9:02 pm

That sounds amazing! I love cranberries with cheese. It’s good with a sharp cheddar too. πŸ™‚

Heather
    November 29, 2013 at 11:32 am

Cranberry mimosas! 1 tablespoon plus a flute of champagne – it is absolutely delish! (And needed after a day of slaving away!)

December 1, 2013 at 9:12 pm

I love this idea! πŸ˜€

Emily
    November 29, 2013 at 7:20 pm

Happy Thanksgiving! I’m going to try a few of these – the cream cheese is very intriguing…bet that would be delicious on a bagel or crackers. Usually, I add it to oatmeal. Yum. But, homemade cranberry sauce is delicious right off the spoon. πŸ™‚

December 1, 2013 at 9:10 pm

Oatmeal is a good one! Or breakfast quinoa. πŸ™‚ I hope you had a great Thanksgiving!

Leslie
    November 29, 2013 at 8:58 pm

Spread it into a BLT sandwich. (Use a fried green for the tomato)
    No, I mean it, A seriously good sandwich.Try it!

December 1, 2013 at 9:10 pm

I don’t eat bacon, but I’m intrigued by the fried green tomato and cranberry sauce combo. πŸ™‚