Potato salads are quintessential summertime food, making appearances at potlucks, barbecues and picnics all season long. But here’s a confession: I don’t even give them a second glance. I’ve never been a mayo person (especially not in large quantities). For years I didn’t even realize that there was such a thing as non-mayo potato salad! Growing up, that was all that was ever around, so I learned to just cruise right on by and find something else to enjoy.
But this Mediterranean Potato Salad? I’ll definitely stop for this version. With no mayo in sight and a variety of veggies, this is no boring potato salad. Red onions, green beans, eggplant and zucchini are all roasted in the oven with just a touch of garlic to make them tender and flavorful. Move over, mayo. There’s a new potato salad in town.
I used fingerling potatoes since I find them adorable and grab them whenever I see them. But you could use whatever potatoes you like! While the potatoes are boiling, whisk together a simple vinaigrette. Be sure to add the dressing to the potatoes and veggies while still hot so they really soak up the flavor. Fresh herbs are the finishing touch.
Potato salad gets better as it sits, so if you can hold off from digging in right away you’ll definitely be rewarded.
A simple Mediterranean-inspired potato salad filled with roasted veggies, plenty of fresh herbs and a bright lemon mustard vinaigrette.
- 3 pounds fingerling potatoes, halved lengthwise (quartered if large)
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3/4 cup chopped red onion
- 5 ounces slender green beans, trimmed and cut in half
- 2 cups cubed eggplant (1/2-inch chunks)
- 1 small zucchini, cut into thick rounds and quartered
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, minced
- 6 large fresh basil leaves, chiffonade
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Place the potatoes in a large saucepan or stockpot and add enough water to cover. Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt to the pot. With the heat on high, bring the water to a boil. Once it reaches a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes, until the potatoes are tender. Drain the potatoes and then add to a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, spread the red onion, green beans, eggplant and zucchini onto a large rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with the olive oil and toss with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and the garlic. Bake for 15-20 minutes, stirring once halfway through, until tender. Remove from the oven and add to the bowl with the potatoes.
- To make the dressing, add the mustard, lemon juice, vinegar, oregano, salt, pepper and olive oil to a small bowl. Whisk vigorously until smooth. Pour the dressing into the bowl with the potatoes (do this while the potatoes are still hot) and toss to combine. Once the potatoes are no longer piping hot, sprinkle on the fresh parsley and basil.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled.