Those of you who are regular readers of my blog already know about my stockpile of Dave’s Gourmet Pasta Sauce. We’ve been using the sauce on pasta every week since January, but I wanted to try to do something different with it. We never really get tired of the pasta + veggie combo, but I wanted to adapt the dish we’ve been making with the Butternut Squash sauce into a cauliflower and tofu lasagna. Could I do it? Would it be a success like my Chicken Florentine Casserole Redux? Or a massive failure like my attempt at vegetarian meatloaf?
The answer: IT WAS A SUCCESS! This was so good, even better than I had anticipated. So kudos to me. The crumbled tofu gives the lasagna a meaty, chewy texture and the slightly nutty flavor of whole wheat noodles are perfect with the butternut squash sauce and roasted cauliflower. If you can’t find Dave’s Gourmet Butternut Squash Sauce near you, use the sauce from my Whole Wheat Penne with Butternut Squash Sauce recipe–the flavors are the same, it’s just a little more work.
- 1 small head of cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 1 medium yellow onion, quartered into wedges and separated
- Olive oil cooking spray/mister
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1-12 oz. package of extra firm tofu, drained, pressed for 30 minutes (I use the Tofu Xpress), and crumbled
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups of butternut squash pasta sauce (like Dave's Gourmet)
- 9 whole wheat lasagna noodles, cooked according to package
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese (omit for vegan version)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Toss cauliflower and onion on rimmed baking sheet with olive oil spray, salt, and pepper. Roast in oven for about 45 minutes, or until golden, stirring halfway through. Cool for 20 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees. While veggie mixture is cooking, heat olive oil spray in medium skillet. Add tofu crumbles, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Cook until golden brown, stirring constantly, about 8 minutes.
- Put cooled veggies into a food processor; pulse 3-4 times or until coarsely chopped.
- In a greased 8x8 inch baking dish, spread 3 tablespoons of pasta sauce. Add a layer of lasagna noodles and top with crumbled tofu. Spread 1/3 of remaining pasta sauce onto tofu, top with another layer of noodles. On top of this, spread chopped veggie mixture and another 1/3 of pasta sauce.Top with a final layer of noodles, the remaining pasta sauce, and cheese, if using.
- Bake for 40 minutes.