Rice Krispie treats always make for a great snack. So whether you need an easy dessert for your child's class or you just want to nibble on something, these Vegan Rice Krispie Treats are delightful.
These vegan rice treats require just a handful of ingredients. They're sweet and tasty—just how you remembered them. Only this time they're entirely vegan! These treats come together with very little effort. With just a little bit of heat and some vegan-friendly ingredients, you have yourself a delightful treat.
Whether you make these treats for Easter, St. Patrick's Day, Valentines' Day, or no holiday at all, Vegan Rice Krispie Treats are the perfect choice!
This Vegan Rice Krispie Treats recipe is...
- 100% vegan
- Easy to make
- Versatile (drizzle with dark chocolate for a bolder taste!)
- A delicious treat anytime
How to Make Vegan Rice Krispie Treats
- Heat the coconut oil in a small non-stick pot over low heat.
- Add in vegan marshmallows and stir to coat in coconut oil.
- Add vegan Rice Krispie cereal to the pot and continue mixing.
- Pour the mixture into a well-greased pan and set it aside to cool for one hour.
Full directions for how to make Vegan Rice Krispie Treats are in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post.
Tips & Tricks for Vegan Rice Krispie Treats
When pouring the Rice Krispie treat mixture into the greased pan, it might be sticky. You may need to use your hands to press the mixture into the pan. Make sure to be cautious when doing this—the mixture might be very warm as it just came off of the stove!
Use Vegan Krispies
Rice Krispie brand cereal is not vegan. Some rice cereals that are vegan include...
- Nature’s Path
- One Degree Brown Rice Crisps Cereal
- Made Good Vanilla Brown Rice Cereal
Make sure to melt the coconut oil and the vegan marshmallows on low heat. Melting them on high heat can make your krispie treats turn out rock hard. So spend the time and make sure you melt them on low heat. These vegan rice Krispie treats are worth the wait!
If you love these Vegan Rice Krispie Treats, you might love some of our other vegan treats! Check out these ones:
Variations to Vegan Rice Krispie Treats
Take it up a notch
Once your vegan rice treats are complete, it's time to dress them up a bit! Drizzle your treats with dark chocolate, sprinkle them with sprinkles, or top with dark chocolate chips. It doesn't take much to make these vegan treats a bit more decadent.
Make it festive
Whether it's for St. Patrick's Day, Valentines' Day, or someone's birthday, you can add a few drops of vegan food coloring to change the color of your treats.
Here are a few examples of vegan food coloring:
Swap the coconut oil
If you prefer vegan butter, you can swap it out for the coconut oil. The recipe will still work beautifully. You can find our favorite Vegan Butters over here—Best Vegan Butter.
Vegan Rice Krispie Treats FAQs
Is Kelloggs Rice Krispie cereal vegan?
Unfortunately, Kelloggs Rice Krispie cereal is not vegan. To keep this recipe vegan, try one of the vegan cereals we mentioned above: Nature’s Path, One Degree Brown Rice Cereal, Made Good Vanilla Brown Rice Cereal.
Are vegan marshmallows hard to melt?
Vegan marshmallows take a bit longer to melt than non-vegan marshmallows, but vegan marshmallows can definitely be melted. It's worth the wait to make this vegan Rice Krispie recipe!
Why are my krispie treats falling apart?
The right ratio between cereal and marshmallows is the key to these Rice Krispie treats. There has to be a certain amount of marshmallows in the treat for the Krispies to stick together.
And if you're looking for even more tasty lunch ideas, go check out my new e-book Healthy Plant-Based School Lunches. It's loaded with all my favorite tips for making meatless school lunches that the kids will love!
- In a large nonstick pot, heat the coconut oil over low heat.
- Add the vegan marshmallows and stir to coat them with coconut oil. Continue stirring over low heat until the marshmallows are mostly melted. You can use the back of a spoon or spatula to help break them up.
- Add the rice krispie cereal, and stir to combine. Continue to fold the mixture together.
- Lightly grease an 8" square baking pan, and pour in the rice krispie mixture. It will be very sticky and somewhat stiff, so you may need to use your hands to form it into the pan. Be careful—the mixture is hot!
- Set aside to cool for one hour.
- Cut into squares and serve!
- You can substitute vegan butter for the coconut oil if desired.
- Rice Krispies brand cereal is not 100% vegan, but there are vegan options available from brands such as Nature's Path.
- For a fun twist, consider topping your vegan rice krispie treats with a drizzle of dark chocolate, sprinkles, or chocolate chips.