This vegan French onion soup with baguette and dairy-free cheese is tangy, savory and made with a handful of simple ingredients! Served either as a starter or main course, it's guaranteed to be a crowdpleaser.
As I'm writing this, it's getting progressively colder outside. Which, of course, means that I'm making all the vegan soup recipes I possibly can - soup is just the perfect cold weather food! And the one that I'm sharing today is an all-time favorite of mine that I like to make multiple times during soup season. More precisely - vegan French onion soup!
The best vegan French onion soup
What I love about this French onion soup is how well it works both for special occasions and a weeknight dinner. Impressive and fancy, yet super simple at the same time. Everyone is guaranteed to love it!
If I’m honest, it took me ages to try French onion soup and my only regret is that I didn’t try it sooner. This stuff is so good, I can eat it by the bucketful. And no panic if you’re not an onion fan. This dish won’t leave you with that sharp, pungent aftertaste.
Instead, the flavour is earthy and savoury. The vegetables give a lot of texture. And the best part is probably the addition of crusty baguette and grated vegan cheese. Even without, it's delicious. But the addition of bread and cheesy deliciousness just takes it over the top.
Ingredients for vegan French onion soup
- Olive oil for cooking the onions. Pick a good quality olive oil for the best depth of flavor.
- Salt and cumin. These spices will be toasted briefly at the start of the cooking process.
- Garlic. A must in any soup recipe!
- Onions. A lot of them. This is, of course, the star ingredient of the recipe. If you've never tried dishes involving caramelized onions before (like my amazing caramelized onion pasta) you are definitely missing out!
- Balsamic vinegar. This will help to create the signature tangy flavor of the French onion soup.
- Soy sauce. Use tamari for a gluten-free alternative.
- Flour. Use a standard gluten-free flour blend as an alternative to plain flour.
- Lemon juice. I love adding a hint of citrus to soup for a great finishing touch.
- Bay leaves and sage leaves. These will be simmered for a bit to infuse the soup with flavor and discarded at the last minutes.
- Baguette, or any other bread of your choice. You can leave this out if you wish, for instance if serving the soup as a side dish, but it really does make an amazing finishing touch.
- Vegan cheese. Pick a brand that melts well, or make your own easy vegan cheese sauce from scratch and add that instead.
How to make vegan French onion soup
Start by adding the olive oil to a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan over a medium heat. Add the salt, cumin and garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until fragrant and lightly toasted.
Now add the onions, and it's time to caramelize them! Turn down the heat to low-medium and cook for around 40-45 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes or so, until the onions are lightly browned and translucent. De-glaze the pan using vegetable stock or water if necessary.
Now add balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, ½ cup vegetable stock, flour and lemon juice. Stir for around 5 minutes, until the mixture starts to thicken.
Next, pour in the rest of the vegetable stock together with bay and sage leafs and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. In the meantime, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
Divide around ¾ of the soup between oven-safe soup bowls or large ramekins. Now add two small baguette slices to each bowl, before adding the rest of the soup. Sprinkle the vegan cheese on top, and place in the oven for 5-7 minutes, until the cheese melts and browns slightly.
Serve and enjoy the soupy deliciousness!
Can I freeze this French onion soup?
For sure! Simply allow the soup to cool down fully, then divide between freezer-friendly bags, allowing some space for expansion. Freeze for up to 3 months. When ready to eat, allow to thaw fully in the fridge and then reheat in a saucepan over a medium heat until fully warmed through. You can then eat straight away, or bake with the addition of baguette and vegan cheese.
Other vegan soup recipes you must try!
- My spicy butternut squash soup never fails as a weeknight dinner!
- Vegan tomato soup is a must-try with a side of olive oil skillet bread.
- If you love gnocchi, you have to give vegan gnocchi soup a go.
- Vegan lasagna soup is easy to make and super cozy.
If you give this vegan French onion soup recipe a go, be sure to tag me on Instagram (@ohmyveggies) so I can see your creations, and leave your feedback in the comments below! I love hearing from you.
- Large, heavy-bottomed saucepan
- Conventional oven
- Oven-safe soup bowls or ramekins
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 cloves garlic sliced
- 4 large onions sliced
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- ¼ cup flour use gluten-free if necessary
- 1 large lemon for lemon juice
- 3 bay leafs
- 2 sage leafs
- 4 slices baguette or any other bread of your choice
- ½ cup vegan cheese
- Add the olive oil to a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan over a medium heat. Now add the salt, cumin and garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until fragrant and lightly toasted.2 tbsp olive oil, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp cumin, 2 cloves garlic
- Caramelize the onions. Turn down the heat to low-medium and cook for around 40-45 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes or so, until the onions are lightly browned and translucent. De-glaze the pan using vegetable stock or water if necessary.4 large onions
- Add balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, ½ cup vegetable stock, flour and lemon juice. Stir for around 5 minutes, until the mixture starts to thicken.¼ cup balsamic vinegar, 3 tbsp soy sauce, 3 cups vegetable stock, ¼ cup flour, 1 large lemon
- Pour in the rest of the vegetable stock together with the bay and sage leafs and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.3 cups vegetable stock, 3 bay leafs, 2 sage leafs
- In the meantime, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
- Divide around ¾ of the soup between oven-safe soup bowls or large ramekins. Now add two small baguette slices to each bowl, before adding the rest of the soup. Sprinkle the vegan cheese on top.4 slices baguette, ½ cup vegan cheese
- Placee in the oven for 5-7 minutes, until the cheese melts and browns slightly. Serve and enjoy the soupy deliciousness!