This vegan chicken sandwich is made with vegan chicken strips and a delicious dairy-free yoghurt sauce. It's a great lunch that's ready in under 15 minutes, or a perfect ideas for picnics and BBQs that will impress vegans and non-vegans alike!
A good sandwich is always a great idea. That especially holds true when I want a quick, delicious lunch and don't quite know what to make. Sandwiches are just so straightforward: choose a filling, your favourite bread, and some extras in the form of sauces and garnishes. That's it! Truly all it takes to make an afternoon of studying marginally better.
And sandwiches certainly don't have to be boring. Take this vegan chicken sandwich, for instance. I think it speaks for itself. The chick'n strips are cooked with vegetables in a very simple, four-ingredient sauce. Then, a refreshing soy yoghurt-based sauce is added, as well as mashed avocado. The flavors work incredibly well together, and you only need 10 minutes to make this plant based lunch from start to finish!
So, if you're busy, but still want something delish, give this one a go. It's also great for sharing at picnics, or bringing along to BBQs in the summer! Even the most fussy eaters will love amazing vegan chicken sandwiches.
You may wonder - what's the best vegan chicken alternative to use for this sandwich? Well, above all, I would recommend making it at home using my guide on how to make vegan chicken. It's much easier than you think to make chick'n from scratch using vital wheat gluten (seitan). The process takes a little bit of extra time, but it's worth it as you then have it ready to go in the fridge for the whole week.
A different option is, of course, using a store-bought vegan chicken alternative. Opt for minimally flavored vegan chicken strips or chunks. You can also use jackfruit, in a similar way to my BBQ pulled jackfruit.
Ingredients you'll need
You need just a few simple ingredients, including:
- Olive oil for cooking the vegetables and vegan chicken.
- Vegetables: garlic, onion, carrots and cherry tomatoes. You can add any other vegetables of your choice.
- Paprika and cumin.
- Vegan chicken strips.
- Maple syrup. You can use any vegan liquid sweetener of your choice.
- Tamari or soy sauce.
- Rice vinegar.
- Cornstarch for thickening the sauce.
- Soy yoghurt, or any other unsweetened vegan yoghurt of your choice.
- Cilantro, spring onion and cucumber to add to the yoghurt.
- Lemon juice and salt to add to the sauce.
- Lettuce, mashed avocado, more spring onion, and chili flakes to serve.
How to make a vegan chicken sandwich
Firstly, heat the olive oil in a large pan and add the garlic, onion, paprika and cumin. Cook for 2-3 minutes over a medium-high heat, until softened. Now add the carrots and tomatoes, cooking for a further 3-4 minutes.
Add the vegan chicken strips, maple syrup, tamari, rice vinegar, water and cornstarch. Lower the heat to a medium and stir for 3-4 minutes, until the sauce thickens.
Meanwhile, prepare the sauce by stirring together the soy yoghurt, cilantro, spring onion, cucumber, lemon juice and salt.
Now, assemble the sandwiches. On bread of your choice, start with a layer of lettuce, followed by the vegan chicken, yoghurt sauce, mashed avocado, spring onion and chilli flakes. That's it!
What else can I add to vegan chicken sandwiches?
This sandwich idea is super versatile! For instance, when cooking the vegetables, you can add any other vegetables of your choice, such as peppers, zucchini, cauliflower or broccoli. If you want to switch up the sauce, try out chunky guacamole or spicy cashew cream. For a little bit of extra crunch, add fried onions or nuts/seeds of your choice.
Can I make this recipe ahead of time?
Don't assemble the sandwiches more than a few hours before you're ready to eat them, because this will make the bread go soggy. The yoghurt sauce is also best eaten straight away. However, you can make the vegan chicken filling ahead of time, and leave it in the fridge for 3-4 days. From this point, it will take under 5 minutes to assemble the sandwiches.
Other vegan sandwich and burger recipes
- A vegan chickpea salad sandwich is so easy to make and very delicious!
- Try out chickpea fritter sandwiches for a flavorful, cosy lunch.
- Black bean burgers are super easy to make and great for making ahead.
- Try out vegan lentil burgers to switch up your lunches!
Let me know in the comments: what's your favourite sandwich recipe? If you give this vegan chicken sandwich a go, be sure to tag me on Instagram (@ohmyveggies) so I can see your creations, and leave your feedback in the comments below together with a star rating!
- Frying pan
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 large carrot peeled and chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 2 cups vegan chicken strips
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- ¼ cup tamari
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup soy yoghurt
- ½ cup cilantro chopped
- ¼ cup spring onion chopped
- ½ cup cucumber diced
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 burger buns to serve
- ½ cup lettuce chopped (to serve)
- 1 large avocado mashed
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan and add the garlic, onion, paprika and cumin. Cook for 2-3 minutes over a medium-high heat, until softened. Now add the carrots and tomatoes, cooking for a further 3-4 minutes.
- Add the vegan chicken strips, maple syrup, tamari, rice vinegar, water and cornstarch. Lower the heat to a medium and stir for 3-4 minutes, until the sauce thickens.
- Prepare the sauce by stirring together the soy yoghurt, cilantro, spring onion, cucumber, lemon juice and salt.
- Assemble the sandwiches. On bread of your choice, start with a layer of lettuce, followed by the vegan chicken, yoghurt sauce, mashed avocado, spring onion and chilli flakes. That's it!
Something to say? Leave a comment.