These fragrant gluten free sweet potato fritters are perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Top with a generous dollop of dairy free lime cashew cream and a side salad and dinner is sorted!
I love fritters. No matter how little you have in your fridge or pantry, no matter how tired you are a delicious meal isn't far away.
These sweet potato fritters are a little fussier than I normally go for, but its the blend of kaffir lime, ginger and spices that make them so moreish.
Make large ones for a hearty breakfast or lunch. Little ones are perfect for snacking on over a few drinks, topped with dollops of the lime cashew cream and a few coriander (cilantro) leaves.
If you are new to dairy free creams cashew cream might sound a little odd.
It certainly did to me when I discovered I was lactose intolerant and things like yoghurt and sour cream were no longer an option. But let me tell you they are a lot more delicious than they sound. In fact, my fussy husband, who deplores things that are "different" loves this lime cashew cream and it disappears as quickly as I can make it.
Cashews are my preferred option, but you could use brazil nuts or macadamia nuts. Just make sure to soak them for at least a couple of hours beforehand. If you don't have time to soak them, boil them for 10 minutes to help soften them.
Any left-over cashew cream can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Your left-over cashew cream can be added to my vegan black bean chilli, sweet potato and corn chowder and baked sweet potato.
Should you be lucky enough to be able to tolerate dairy I'd suggest adding some lime juice to a thick creamy Greek yoghurt, or even sour cream instead.
Did you make this recipe?
I'd love to see! Share your photo on Instagram and use the hashtag #deliciouseveryday for a chance to be featured or share it on my Facebook page.
Want delicious recipes delivered to your INBOX?
Subscribe to the Delicious Everyday weekly newsletter. It's FREE! As a thank you I'll send you my guide to pantry essentials for delicious everyday meals.
- LIME CASHEW CREAM:
- 1 cup raw unsalted cashews soaked in water overnight
- ¼ cup water
- zest of 1 lime
- juice of 2 limes
- ½ tsp salt
- 600 g sweet potatoes
- 2 tsp ginger grated
- ⅓ cup coriander leaves and stalks finely chopped, cilantro
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp heaped ground coriander
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 leaves kaffir lime
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbs buckwheat flour
- oil for frying
- Drain the soaking liquid from the cashews and place in a high-speed blender with the water, lime zest, juice and salt. Blend until smooth and creamy. Decant into a small jar or bottle and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Use a food processor or hand grater to grate the sweet potato. Place in a large bowl along with the ginger, cumin, coriander and salt. Remove the stem from the kaffir lime leaves and chop finely. Add to the sweet potato mixture.
- Lightly beat the eggs and add to the sweet potato mixture along with the buckwheat flour and mix until well combined.
- Heat a large saucepan over a medium heat, add the oil, and add spoonfuls of the mixture. Press down with a spatula and fry until the edges start to turn golden, around 3 minutes. Flip and fry until golden on the other side. Drain on paper towel.
- Serve with your favourite salad leaves and a drizzle of the lime cashew cream.