This loaded sweet potato is stuffed with a fresh and spicy black bean filling, and topped with lime-cashew cream. It's easy, healthy, 100% vegan, and gluten-free!
My love of all things sweet potato is in full swing.
Baked sweet potatoes are one of my favorite comfort foods. Soft, tender, just a little bit sweet, and yet a little bit salty. Heaven.
So tonight I decided to give my old-fashioned baked sweet potato a kick, and created the ultimate loaded sweet potato.
This fully loaded sweet potato is baked, and then stuffed with a spicy black bean filling that is satisfying enough to eat as a meal on its own. Then it's all topped off with a vegan cashew-lime cream.
And the whole thing is completely vegan and gluten-free. Perfection!
Let's Make a Loaded Sweet Potato!
First, we need to get our sweet potatoes nice and soft. If you have time, go the oven-only route and bake them. It's worth the wait.
But if you don't have the patience for that, you can also microwave your sweet potatoes as a shortcut. It will take around 10 minutes for one potato.
If you go the baking route- preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Then use a fork to pierce the sweet potatoes about 4 to 5 times each. Then place the sweet potatoes on your pan and bake for 45 minutes. Larger sweet potatoes will take a bit longer.
Tip: If you want to speed up the process, you can cook the sweet potatoes in the microwave instead.
Once your sweet potato is done baking, you're ready to start loading it up! You can start prepping the ingredients while the sweet potatoes are in the oven. That way, they'll still be nice and hot when it comes time to eat them.
The spicy black bean filling is super simple -with no cooking involved.
Simply take all the ingredients for the stuffing and combine them in one big bowl. I like to use black beans and fresh veggies, like bell peppers, spring onions, and cilantro.
Then everything gets seasoned with a bit of olive oil, lime juice, garlic, cumin, and paprika. Yum!
The finishing touch is the cashew-lime cream. This is one of my favorite dairy-free dressings. Simply take raw cashews, lime juice, lime zest, and a bit of salt - and give it a whirl in a high speed blender. It will come out with a beautiful, creamy consistency.
When your sweet potato is done roasting, simply top it with the black bean filling, some fresh avocado slices, and a drizzle of cashew-lime cream. Yum!
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- BLACK BEAN FILLING:
- 2 ½ cups black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 2 spring onions finely sliced
- ⅓ cup cilantro chopped
- 1 ½ tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- LIME CASHEW CREAM:
- 1 cup raw unsalted cashews soaked in water overnight
- ¼ cup water
- zest of 1 lime
- juice of 2 limes
- ½ tsp salt
- TO SERVE:
- 2 tbsp cilantro chopped
- 1 avocado sliced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees (F).
- Pierce the sweet potatoes 4 or 5 times with a fork and place the sweet potatoes on a baking tray.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until tender. The larger the sweet potato - the longer it will take to cook.
- To make the black bean filling, simply combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To make the cashew-lime cream: Drain the soaking liquid from the cashews and place in a high-speed blender with the water, lime zest, juice and salt. Blend until smooth and creamy. Decant into a small bowl and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- When the sweet potatoes are tender remove them from the oven and cut in half. Season with salt and pepper and a little olive oil.
- Lightly mash with a fork before topping the sweet potato with the black bean filling and a dollop of the lime-cashew cream.
- Garnish with cilantro, and serve with avocado slices.