Savory meets sweet in these delicious Mexican Street Corn and Roasted Sweet Potato Tacos. These easy tacos are loaded with flavor, and are completely vegetarian.
Let's make Mexican Street Corn and Sweet Potato Tacos!
Mexico has one of the most robust street food cultures in the world. Mexican street foods are referred to as antojitos, which literally means "little cravings". And that couldn't be more accurate. One of the most common treats is Mexican street corn, which is traditionally served as corn on the cob, topped with a variety of spices and cotija cheese! For this recipe, I decided to create my own street corn to top some delicious sweet potato tacos.
The street corn recipe was adapted from one by Platings and Pairings. Her tacos looked so pretty and colorful, but of course I needed to have a meatless version.
I don't care too much for mayonnaise, which is used in most street corn recipes, so I substituted olive oil instead. And I also adapted some of the seasonings and spice level to my liking. I like my food to have a kick! So I use a good quality chili powder, and a lot of fresh jalapenos. If you prefer something milder, tone down the jalapenos and chili powder.
To make my vegetarian version, I used roasted sweet potatoes as my base taco filling. I am a huge fan of sweet potatoes! They are such a versatile ingredient. Roasted in the oven, with some olive oil, salt, and pepper - they have a great sweet and salty combo that can't really be beat.
These tacos are more than enough for dinner. But if you want to put together a real Mexican spread, check out my Mexican Black Bean Salad. The cumin, lime, and smoked paprika dressing is amazing, and it's completely vegan! Even Smoky Spanish Tomato Soup would make an excellent starter for this meal.
You can also mix up the toppings for these tacos to suit your taste. I bet they would be delicious with some black beans added, parsley could be used if your not a fan of cilantro, and you could even use butternut squash for the taco filling instead of the roasted sweet potatoes. I topped my tacos with some extra cotija cheese before chowing down, but feta would also work well. Or even a spoonful of sour cream.
did you make this recipe?
I’d love to see! Share your photo on Instagram and use the hashtag #deliciouseveryday for a chance to be featured or share it on my Facebook page.
want more delicious recipes?
Subscribe to the Delicious Everyday weekly newsletter. It’s FREE! And as a thank you for signing up, I’ll also send you my guide to pantry essentials for delicious everyday meals.
- 8 corn tortillas
- 3 ears fresh corn, kernels sliced from cob
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- ½ onion, peeled and minced
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 ½ cup cotija cheese, grated
- 4 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 avocado, peeled and sliced
- olive oil
- sea salt
- black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Toss sweet potatoes in light coating of olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Spread in a single layer on baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes, or until softened and just beginning to caramelize.
- Meanwhile, heat drizzle of olive oil in large non-stick pan, over medium heat.
- Add onion, and cook for 3-4 minutes, until softened and slightly browned. Add garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add corn. Stir, and spread into a single layer. Cook - without stirring - for 5 minutes or until browned on underside. Stir, spread into single layer again, and cook for additional 3 minutes.
- Add 1 tbsp olive oil, 1 cup cotija cheese, chili powder, lime juice, and cilantro. Add salt and pepper to taste. Mix well. Remove from heat, and set aside the Mexican Street Corn.
- Warm tortillas on a baking sheet in the oven for 3-5 minutes.
- Assemble the sweet potato tacos! Top each corn tortilla with a layer of roasted sweet potatoes, a scoop of Mexican Street Corn, and several slices of fresh avocado. Top with a sprinkle of cotija cheese. Serve.