This hearty salad is loaded with roasted butternut squash, kale, and lentils - all drizzled in a homemade tahini dressing. Yum!
I love salads for a quick and easy weeknight meal. But let's face it - those wimpy summer salads just don't cut it on these chilly nights.
So I set out to make the ultimate fall or winter salad - loaded with roasted veggies and a creamy dressing. This Butternut Squash Kale salad sure fits the bill. It's hearty, healthy, and super filling.
And obviously delicious too.
This dinner-worthy Butternut Squash Kale Salad is:
- Loaded with flavor from roasted butternut squash.
- Packed with protein from fresh kale and lentils.
- Topped with a creamy lemon-tahini dressing.
- Easy enough for a weeknight meal!
Tips, Tricks, & Variations
The roasting time for the butternut squash will vary a bit depending on your oven's true temperature and how small you chop the pieces. It's ready when the squash is fork tender and beginning to turn golden brown.
While butternut squash is my favorite winter squash, this recipe works well with acorn squash or kabocha squash too.
You can mix things up by replacing the lentils with another grain or legume like wild rice or quinoa.
- 1 butternut squash peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tbsp olive oil divided
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 small bunch kale tough stems removed and leaves torn into bite-sized pieces
- ⅓ cup tahini
- ⅓ cup water
- 2 tbsp lemon juice fresh preferred
- 1 cup cooked lentils prepared according to package directions
- 1 cup pita chips optional, broken into bite sized pieces
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, toss butternut squash with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, salt and pepper. Transfer to baking sheet and roast about 30 minutes, or until fork tender, stirring halfway through cooking time.
- While squash is baking, place kale in large mixing bowl. Drizzle with one tablespoon of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Using your hands, massage the kale leaves until they soften and wilt, about 3–5 minutes. (Kale will taste mild when it's done.) Set aside.
- Whisk together the tahini, water, lemon juice, and remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Divide kale, butternut squash, lentils, and pita chips into servings bowls or plates and serve with tahini dressing.