Spanish Rice and Beans is a dish made of brown rice, warm and rich spices, and kidney beans cooked to fluffy perfection. Have this dish as a complete meal or incredible side dish. Spanish Rice and Beans are easy to make and store well as leftovers!
This dish is a wonderful source of protein and starch that will fill you up and fuel your body. If you are looking for a new healthy go-to, this plant-based dish is a must-make!
I'm a big fan of rice, so I sometimes have some (vegan) rice pudding for dessert after eating this or other stir-fried rice dishes. And if you have leftovers, they're easy to reinvent as tasty filling for burritos!
This Spanish Rice and Beans recipe is..
- Naturally gluten-free
- Great as a side dish or a main
How to Make Spanish Rice and Beans
- In a pot, combine diced onions and spices. Cook until onions are soft and translucent.
- Toss in rice, and cook 2–4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the other ingredients and bring mixture to a boil. Simmer as directed.
- Once the rice is cooked, remove from stove and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy.
Full directions on how to make Spanish Rice and Beans are in the printable recipe card below.
Tips & Tricks for Spanish Rice and Beans
Let Onions Sweat
Make sure to allow time for the onions to sweat on the stove and blend with the spices. Following this step will help to elevate the flavor of your rice. If you skip this step, you will find that your rice and beans lack a bit of flavor.
Toast the Rice
Toasting the rice will add even more flavor to this tasty dish. Toasting gives the rice a better texture—light and fluffy—and adds an element of flavor that makes this beans and rice recipe stand out from others!
Variations to Spanish Rice and Beans
Feel free to use another type of beans. Pinto or chili beans work just as well! No matter what kind of beans you use, just cook them the same way.
You are welcome to use white rice in place of brown rice if you prefer. If you choose to use white rice, only use 1 ½ cups broth and cook for 10–15 minutes or until the rice is cooked.
Instead of plain tomatoes, try using fire-roasted tomatoes. Fire-roasted tomatoes will add a bit of warmth and depth to this dish. The change is subtle but delicious!
Spanish Rice and Beans FAQs
Is this recipe gluten-free?
Yes, this Spanish Rice and Beans dish is naturally gluten-free. It makes a fantastic side dish or main dish that the whole family can enjoy! It's also a great potluck recipe.
How do you store leftovers?
Not sure how to store leftovers? Place them in an airtight container and store them in the fridge for up to 5 days. You can reheat your leftovers in the microwave or warm them up on the stove. Rice can dry out a bit, so if that is the case, add a splash of broth to moisten it up!
Does rice freeze?
You are welcome to freeze your rice and beans. The texture of the rice will be a lot softer after thawing, but overall, rice and beans still taste great after being frozen. You can freeze your Spanish Rice and Beans for 2–3 months in a proper container. When you're ready to eat them, thaw rice and beans in the fridge overnight, then reheat.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat, then add onion, garlic, chili powder, cumin, and oregano.
- Then cook, stirring frequently, until onions starts to soften (about 3–4 minutes).
- Add the rice to the pot and fry an additional 2–3 minutes.
- Stir to make sure the rice is coated with the oil and seasonings.
- Add the beans, broth, tomatoes, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Bring rice mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cover.
- Allow rice to simmer for 30 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Remove rice pot from heat and allow to sit 5 minutes before uncovering, stirring, and serving.
- I used brown rice in this recipe because it's healthier and more filling. I also find that it holds up better than white rice and is less likely to get mushy. However, if you want to use white rice, look for a long grain variety, reduce the broth to 1.5 cups, and cook for as long as the package states (usually about 10–15 minutes).
- You can stir in some taco sauce, salsa, or hot sauce to the finished dish to make it extra flavorful!