Originally these were going to be burritos. Having never wrapped burritos before, they turned out a little flat. I was hoping no one would notice, but as soon as I gave my husband his, he was all, “This doesn’t look like a burrito at all! Burritos are round!” So I decided rather than making them again, I’d just call them Sweet Potato & Kale Wraps. I’m lazy like that.
These wraps were inspired by a recipe for Portuguese Burritos by MomFoodie. She had mentioned that she felt they were lacking something, so I decided to add a crapload of stuff to the burritos to add flavor. I didn’t want to add cheese, but I needed something to help bind the burrito together, hence the mashed sweet potatoes. I added black beans too and to replicate that smoky flavor the beans have at Mexican restaurants, I added a little smoked Spanish paprika to them. Caramelized onions clearly make everything better, so those went in too. I guess I kind of used a “throw enough things at the wall and eventually something will stick” approach to these
Luckily everything did stick and although they might sound a little bit weird, they were really good and super, super filling.Print
Sweet Potato & Kale Wraps
Not quite burritos, not quite wraps–these Sweet Potato & Kale Wraps are filled with caramelized onions, smoky black beans, brown rice and vegan chorizo. Inspired by MomFoodie’s Meatless Portuguese Burritos.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 wraps
- 1 large sweet potato, pierced
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 vegan chorizo sausages, crumbled (I strongly recommend Field Roast Mexican Chipotle sausages–I hate all the over-processed soy meat products)
- 1 small bunch kale, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 c. brown rice, cooked according to package with 1 tsp. olive oil added to cooking water
- 1 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp. cilantro, chopped
- 1 1/2 c. cooked (or canned) black beans, warmed
- 1 tsp. smoked Spanish paprika
- 1/2 c. salsa (a sweet or smoky salsa would work well)
- 4 whole wheat tortillas, warmed
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place sweet potato on a baking sheet or sheet of aluminum foil and roast for 40-60 minutes, or until tender and beginning to caramelize. Allow to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet over low heat. Add onion and stir to coat. Allow onion to slowly caramelize, stirring occasionally. (On my stove, it takes about an hour to caramelize onions, although other people have told me it takes them 30 minutes–use your best judgment here!)
- When onion is almost caramelized, stir in crumbled chorizo. Continue to cook for 6-8 minutes, or until chorizo is beginning to brown. Add chopped kale and cover. Cook until kale is bright green and wilted, approximately 5 minutes more. Remove from heat.
- Remove sweet potato skin and mash insides in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Combine rice, lime juice, cilantro, and salt in another bowl.
- In another bowl (last one, I promise!), stir together black beans and paprika until beans are coated.
- To assemble, divide vegetable and chorizo mixture, rice, sweet potatoes, beans, and salsa among 4 tortillas. If you don’t know how to wrap a burrito, follow these handy dandy instructions.
- Serving Size: 1 wrap