Marinated Portobello Burgers are a great way to use up portobello mushrooms! A marinated portobello that then gets pan seared or tossed on the grill and cooked perfectly. Then pair with a creamy pesto sauce, bun, and your favorite burger toppings. This is the ultimate mushroom burger recipe.
A vegetarian burger that is perfect for grilling season. Even those who enjoy meat will enjoy this portobello mushroom burgers recipe. So don't wait, try this veggie burger today.
Check out my portobello steaks, my portobello mushroom cheesesteaks for other easy and delicious mushroom recipes.
This Portobello Burger Recipe Is...
- Can Be Vegan Friendly (use dairy substitute and vegan Worcestershire sauce)
- Easy to Make
- Can Be Cooked On Stove or Grill
- Party Friendly Food
- Homemade Pesto For Optimal Flavor
How to Make Portobello Burgers
Full directions on how to make this mushroom burger are in the printable recipe card below. This is a quick walk through on how to make them.
- Start by removing the stalk from the mushrooms.
- In a bowl or bag add all the ingredients for the marinade, along with mushrooms. Coat the mushrooms, and let them marinade for 30 minutes.
- Chop up your onions, and place in a large skillet with some oil, and cook until golden brown. Then finish cooking until they are caramelized.
- For the pesto mayonnaise add your ingredients into a bowl and whisk together until mixed and no lumps.
- Cook your mushrooms cap side down in a heated skillet on the stove, or toss on the grill. Cook until they are tender.
- Then assemble your bun with the pesto sauce, tomatoes, caramelized onions, and your mushroom burger.
Recipe Tips For Success
Make sure that you remove the stalks of the mushrooms before you marinade them. Then clean your mushrooms if they have dirt, debris left on them.
Make sure that when you marinate the portobello mushrooms you place them cap side down in the marinade. They will draw in more flavor from the marinade offering a richer flavor to your veggie burger.
Make sure to check on your onions as they cook. Otherwise, you can end up burning the onions. They will take awhile to caramelize but they need to be stirred often or it will cause the onions to burn.
Variations To Mushroom Burger
If you want you can transform these into little slider burgers instead of regular size burgers. Just cook up the same and place the mushroom on slider buns, and then slice to fit the rolls. Add your favorite condiments and devour.
Don't feel you have to pair with the caramelized onions. I find that it is a great way to elevate your burger, but isn't a half too. Top with any of your favorite hamburger toppings.
Instead of a bun, serve with a bed of rice, or just pile your toppings on top and skip the bun altogether.
Switch up how you marinade by changing out spices with ones you know and love. There is so much you can do to flavor the mushrooms and have success.
Mushroom Burger FAQs
Can I use a different variety of mushroom?
The hard thing with swapping out the mushrooms is it is going to be hard to get that large flat burger texture to fit in the bun. You are welcome to experiment and see what you like.
What can I do with the stems of mushrooms?
Don't throw away the mushroom stems. Just store them back in a container in the fridge and use them for mixing in a casserole, omelet, etc. They will work great for chopping up and mixing into other recipes in the future.
Do mushroom burgers store well?
I find the burgers are best eaten fresh. If you don't eat them all, store in the fridge for 2-3 days. Then reheat and enjoy. The texture will be a bit different once they have cooled down and been refrigerated.
- 4 large portobellos
- 4 hamburger rolls vegan brand if desired
- 2 onions
- 1 large tomato
- 2 tbsp olive oil
To marinate the portobellos
- Remove portobellos stalks. Mix all the ingredients to marinate the portobellos. Using a cooking brush, toss them with the sauce on both sides. Let them marinate for 30 minutes, with the cap side down.
- Chop onions in thin slices. Place them in a large skillet with 2 tbsp of olive oil, cook them at medium heat until golden brown.
- The onions will need between 25-30 to be caramelized. Stir it regularly; otherwise, it will burn.
- Combine all ingredients for the pesto mayonnaise in a blender. Use either a stick blender or a regular blender.
- Blend all the ingredients.
- Blend until you have a smooth, creamy paste. Adjust salt to taste.
- Cook the portobellos cap side down in a heated skillet, grill or BBQ until tender. It will take 8-10 minutes.
- To make the burgers, first add pesto mayonnaise to the bread.
- Next, add caramelized onions.
- Add a juicy portobello.
- Top with a slice of tomato and cover with bread. Enjoy!
- Portobellos are my favorite choice when going to BBQs or inviting friends over. They are extremely delicious, juicy and adaptable to any kind of add-on that you can think of. Just get creative by adding different seasonings, vegetables or even some melted cheese.