This Pear and Sharp Cheddar Grilled Cheese Sandwich is my current favorite recipe for fall lunch. Pears and sharp cheddar are just perfect together!
Simple fall lunches—this is what I am in desperate need of right now. I've gotten bored of just about every single one of my go-to lunchtime options, so when noon rolls around, I find myself standing in front of the pantry, contemplating what I can do with lentils or jasmine rice.
And then I just give up and have a handful of potato chips and some olives. (This is the point where you mentally insert a sad trombone sound.)
Even though I blog about cooking, I really don't like making big elaborate lunches.
When I made pasta for myself two weeks ago, that was kind of a huge deal to me. I made pasta—for lunch!
So I've been seeking out some easy, seasonal lunch ideas and I just happened to find a good one on Panini Happy: Granola-Crusted Pear and Almond Butter Panini.
Being lazy about lunches, I didn't do the granola-crusting (and I know I'm missing out, I'm sure of it!), but the pear and almond butter on a sandwich was delicious!
Making the Pear Grilled Cheese
One of my favorite fall snacks is pear slices topped with a little bit of cheese, so I decided that this would make a good sandwich too.
And thus the Pear and Sharp Cheddar Grilled Cheese Sandwich was born!
Oh fine, I'm sure other people have done it before, but it's new to me. And it's one of my new favorite vegetarian sandwiches.
Since I'm forever counting calories, I used only an ounce of cheese on each sandwich so it's not one of those super gooey oozy grilled cheeses that get so much love on Pinterest.
But I'm okay with that. Y'all can put more cheese on the sandwich if that's how you do. 😉
If you love this Pear & Cheddar Grilled Cheese Sandwich, be sure to check out these other tasty ideas:
- 21 Mind Blowing Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- Open-Faced Walnut Pear Sandwich
- 25+ Packable Vegetarian Lunch Ideas
- 1 ripe pear cored and sliced
- 2 oz sharp cheddar cheese thinly sliced or shredded (use 4 oz. for extra cheesy sandwiches)
- 1 tbsp butter softened
- 4 slices hearty bread I used Sprouted Wheat & Sunflower Seed
- Heat a griddle or skillet on medium-high heat. Butter two slices of bread on one side; place buttered side down onto the skillet.
- Top bread with pear slices and cheese—put a little cheese on the bread first, then the pears, then the remaining cheese. Butter remaining bread slices and place them on top of the sandwiches, butter side up.
- Cook until bottom of sandwich is browned, 3-5 minutes. Flip over and cook 3-5 minutes more.