It’s fall and apples are everywhere you look. Granny Smith apples are so tart and tangy; I love putting them into green smoothies. Because I am always looking for new ways to make smoothies more filling and healthy, I’ve started adding silken tofu. The tofu makes smoothies extra creamy and thick, and adds extra nutrition, including loads of protein. The tart green apples combined with silken tofu, maple syrup, a hint of vanilla and spices makes this smoothie taste just like apple pie. Spinach adds iron, calcium, and makes it a lovely shade of green, don’t you think?
I like using shelf-stable silken tofu because it doesn’t require any refrigeration and lasts a long time — the unique aseptic packaging keeps the tofu fresh without preservatives and without packing in water. (Yes, this means no draining or pressing!) The texture is thick and creamy, almost like custard — it’s so, so good in smoothies for that very reason. Mori-Nu silken tofu is non-GMO, Kosher, Halal, and gluten-free. It’s a great thing to keep in the cupboard so you can pull it out anytime a smoothie craving hits, but I also love it cubed up for a quick miso soup or whipped into a rich dairy-free chocolate mousse.
This scrumptious smoothie tastes like apple pie in a glass! Plus, it's high in protein without resorting to powders - and, thanks to silken tofu, ultra-creamy without milk or bananas.
- 1 large Granny Smith apple, cored and cut into cubes
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1 (12-ounce) package Mori-Nu soft silken tofu, chilled
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of ground cardamom
- Place all of the ingredients into a blender and puree until smooth. Stop the blender and scrape down sides of blender as needed. The smoothie will be extra thick and creamy. Pour into a glass (or divide between two glasses) and serve.
Learn More About Mori-Nu Tofu + Enter to Win
- a $100 Visa gift card
- a Mori-Nu Tofu recipe book ($20)
- 6 packs of assorted Mori-Nu Tofu ($10)
Disclaimer: This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Mori-nu. The opinions and text are all mine.