This shake is sort of a smoothie disguised as a chocolate shake—it has greens and plenty of protein, but it tastes chocolatey, rich and decadent. Hand it to an unsuspecting party and they’d never guess it was a protein shake, let alone a vegan protein shake!Print
Chocolate-Cherry Vegan Protein Shake
A vegan cherry-chocolate shake that doubles as a protein-packed green smoothie.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings
- 1 cup chocolate coconut milk ice cream (or any chocolate-flavored non-dairy ice cream)
- 1 1/2 cups frozen cherries
- 1 cup packed baby kale
- 1/2 cup chocolate soy milk
- 1 frozen banana, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons nut butter (peanut or almond work best)
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- Place the coconut milk ice cream in a blender, then add the cherries and baby kale. Add the soy milk, chopped banana, nut butter, and chia seeds. Blend until smooth and the greens are no longer visible. If the shake is too thick, pour in a little more soy milk, or you can also wait until the ice cream melts before using if you prefer a thinner smoothie.
- Divide between two large glasses and serve.
Depending on the quality of your blender, you may need to add the frozen fruit in batches and/or stop the blender to stir the mixture in order for it to blend more smoothly.
You can use dairy milk/yogurt, kefir, or ice cream in place of the non-dairy ingredients (chocolate or cherry-flavored would be best) for more protein. You can also use hemp seeds in place of the chia seeds as a protein source.
- Serving Size: About 12 ounces