This post may contain affiliate links. Learn more here.
Desserts/ Recipes/ Snacks/ Vegan/ vegan recipes/ vegetarian recipes

How to Make Mango Fruit Leather (Without a Dehydrator!)

How to Make Mango Fruit Leather

How to Make Mango Fruit LeatherIt’s been a while since I posted a fruit leather recipe here and since I get requests for them once in a while, I thought I’d post a new one today–mango! While I’m not one to discriminate when it comes to fruit leather, I think mango and banana are my two favorites because both can be made without any added sweetener. No sugar, no honey, no agave–just fruit.

I decided to do things a little bit differently this time and use parchment paper instead of spraying my baking sheet with oil. This has a few pros and cons. The biggest downside is that the fruit leather gets a little bit wrinkled as the moisture is baked out. Ugly fruit leather! But using parchment paper makes it much easier to remove the fruit leather from the baking sheet, the bottom of the fruit leather isn’t all oiled up, and if you’re planning on wrapping your fruit leather, you can just cut it into strips while it’s still attached to the parchment. Easy!

Here’s how to make mango fruit leather:

Mangoes for Fruit LeatherStart with two ripe mangoes. They need to be ripe, otherwise your fruit leather won’t be sweet.

Cutting Mangoes for Fruit LeatherCut the mangoes into chunks. Don’t know how to cut them? I have a mango cutting tutorial!

Mango Chunks in BlenderPlace the mango chunks in a blender or food processor and puree until smooth.

Spreading Mango Puree onto Baking SheetLine a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and spread the mango puree onto it. Make sure it’s in an even layer–it’s hard to make it completely even, but do your best! I like sprinkling mine with a small amount of chipotle salt.

Mango Fruit Leather on Parchment PaperBake at 175ΒΊF for 3-4 hours. After about 2 hours, start checking on your fruit leather every 30 minutes or so. The fruit leather is done when it’s dry to the touch, but still pliable. Sometimes the edges will be finished before the center, in which case you can cut them off and continue baking the rest.

Mango Fruit LeatherWhen your fruit leather is done baking, let it cool and then cut it into strips or shapes with a pizza cutter or kitchen shears.

We always eat our fruit leather within a day of making it, but wrapped tightly in plastic and stored in a sealed container, it will last up to one month at room temperature or up to a year in the freezer.

February 19, 2013 at 8:05 am

Looks delish!!

Sooo, since banana and mango are your favorites, will we see a banana mango version in the future because that sounds like a winning combo!

Averie @ Averie Cooks
    February 19, 2013 at 8:12 am

I looooove mangoes! I mean, I had a streak where I was making every possible thing I could with them and I love that you made this leather without a dehyd! I have one, but never use it. I need to try this!

krystina
    February 19, 2013 at 8:21 am

What size baking sheet do you use?

February 24, 2013 at 4:45 pm

It’s just a large rimmed baking sheet–about 12 x 17. But other sizes will work too, you’ll just have to adjust the cooking time slightly (less time for a larger sheet, more time for a smaller one). πŸ™‚

Kristina
    February 19, 2013 at 8:38 am

fruit-only leathers are my favorite too, mango sounds amazing!

Mumseword
    February 19, 2013 at 8:57 am

I love mangoes! I’m so happy the season is coming back soon!!

Brian @ A Thought For Food
    February 19, 2013 at 9:06 am

I was expecting something WAY more complicated, but it looks relatively easy to do! I love fruit leather… such a weird thing for an adult, but I’ve always enjoyed it. Can’t wait to try making my own!

Natalie
    February 19, 2013 at 9:15 am

This is amazing! So healthy and fun, I would totally try this out!

February 19, 2013 at 9:20 am

What a fun idea! I can just see my kids starring in the oven window–waiting for this to come out!

Maria Tadic
    February 19, 2013 at 9:57 am

I’m totally making this! I love “gummy” fruity candy and this seems like a nice alternative. PLUS… and we bought/gave in and got a Vitamix…. and oh its glorious! I’m in love! πŸ™‚

February 24, 2013 at 4:41 pm

Yay for the Vitamix! It works perfectly for fruit leather. πŸ˜€

Alissa N
    February 19, 2013 at 10:36 am

I had no idea making your own fruit leather was so easy!!! I am totally doing this now!! I love mangos, what a fun new way to use them!!

Jackie @ Domestic Fits
    February 19, 2013 at 11:16 am

Amazing! Perfect road trip snack

dixya @ food, pleasure, and health
    February 19, 2013 at 11:22 am

i have never ever made fruit leather before but this is such a great idea to enjoy a fruit without additional sweeteners. I havent seen mangoes in my grocery store lately but will look into banana recipe πŸ™‚

Kelly
    February 19, 2013 at 11:30 am

Can not WAIT to try this! Such a great treat, and it’s so much cheaper than buying the leather at the store.

Katie (The Muffin Myth)
    February 19, 2013 at 11:36 am

Wow, I haven’t had fruit leather in AGES! I seem to recall my mom making it when we were kids and just baking it on waxed paper or plastic wrap. Who knows what else got into our fruit leather that way! I’m going to have to give the banana version a go, that sounds right up my alley. Thanks for the recipe!

Cassie | Bake Your Day
    February 19, 2013 at 1:17 pm

I have yet to make fruit leather and I really need to soon. Mangoes are a favorite!

Diane {Created by Diane}
    February 19, 2013 at 1:28 pm

Oh this would be my sons favorite, he LOVES mangos πŸ™‚ I will have to make him a batch real soon!

Maryann
    February 19, 2013 at 2:40 pm

What a super easy way to make fruit leather.

Kelly @ A Girl Worth Saving
    February 19, 2013 at 4:12 pm

I’m going to make this when I get my dehydrator unpacked. So easy and man I know my son and hubby would love this!

Stephanie
    February 19, 2013 at 4:31 pm

OMG, you definitely changed my life with that mango cutting tutorial!!!!! LOL. This looks super yummy!! Have you tried any other fruits? I wonder if they’d all work out the same way… ahhh my wheels are spinning! πŸ˜‰

February 24, 2013 at 4:39 pm

I’ve tried peaches, raspberries, bananas, strawberries, and pineapple. The only one that didn’t turn out was pineapple! πŸ™‚ And the pineapple fruit leather was still really tasty, it was just a little bit crunchy.

Dee
    February 19, 2013 at 5:40 pm

Oooh, I need to try this! (I have a dehydrator but it’s in the Packing Zone right now so it’s great to hear you can do it in the oven too!)

Lisa @ Greek Vegetarian
    February 19, 2013 at 6:20 pm

Well, this would have to be one of the best little ideas I’ve seen in ages. I’ve never done this before but it looks a lot easier than I thought it would be to make. Could you perhaps use a silicone baking mat instead of parchment paper? BTW your fruit leather is not ugly!! Those curls are simply gorgeous!

February 24, 2013 at 4:38 pm

I’ve seen another blogger use a silicone baking mat to make fruit leather, so it definitely works! πŸ™‚

Kare @ Kitchen Treaty
    February 19, 2013 at 7:23 pm

I’ve never made fruit leather – I had no idea it was so easy! I loooove this. Yum, and so pretty.

sweetsugarbelle
    February 19, 2013 at 7:47 pm

I CAN DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It’s going to be hard for me to share with my kids though, LOL! PS…I LOVE the addition of chili salt. Reminds me of the Mexican candies I grew up with!

Natalie @ Once Upon a Cutting Board
    February 19, 2013 at 8:39 pm

Yum, looks so easy and tasty, and I love the colour! It seems especially weird now that the pineapple version didn’t turn out but mango did .. Unless I’m remembering incorrectly, I know there was pineapple something you talked about recently that didn’t work for some reason!

February 24, 2013 at 4:37 pm

Yes! It was the pineapple! I still don’t know what happened with that–I’m going to need to experiment with that again. πŸ™‚

Stephanie @ henry happened
    February 19, 2013 at 9:25 pm

This is perfect timing b/c I’m going to Costco this weekend and I can never resist buying mangoes – even tho you get 20 or something. I cannot believe this is so easy!

• 1 2 3 4