Here is a comforting veggie version of a hearty classic. This no-meat pie is perfect for lunches and busy evenings. The lentils in this pie provide a source of affordable and nutritious protein.
No Meat Pie
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 60
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 6
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 large celery, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cubed
- 1 1/2 cups green lentils
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 5 cups water
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tbsp salt
- 3 medium russet potatoes
- 1 cup milk
- 3-4 tbsp butter
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Melt the butter in a pot over medium heat. Add onion and celery and sauté until tender. Add the garlic and cook another minute. Add the carrots, lentils, pepper, corn, and water. Mix well.
- Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce to low heat and cook until the mixture is tender, about 35 minutes.
- Add milk and season with salt and pepper. Add a touch of water if the preparation seems too dry. Pour mixture into a casserole dish.
- In another pot, cook the potatoes in boiling salted water until tender. Mash with the milk and 3 tablespoons of butter. Season to taste.
- Spread mashed potatoes on top of the vegetable mixture in casserole dish. Serve.