Entrees/ Make It Meatless/ Recipes/ Sides/ Vegan/ vegan recipes/ vegetarian recipes

Jamaican Chickpea Stew

Jamaican Chickpea Stew

Jamaican Chickpea Stew
Having grown up in an area where there are more ethnic food restaurants than American-style restaurants, I’ve had an interest in international cooking ever since I knew how to sauté an onion. While a typical teenager would frequent burger or pizza joints, my friends and I made the rounds at our local Thai, Japanese, Mexican, and Indian restaurants. As a result, I’m always excited at the prospect of cooking up new-to-me food.

When I saw Cooking Light’s recipe for Jamaican Chicken Stew, I instantly knew I wanted to give a meatless version a shot. To me, there is nothing more satisfying than a flavorful stew served over hot brown rice. Plus, I was eager to learn about another international cuisine. So I fired up the ol’ Google and learned all about Jamaican food.

Jamaican Chickpea Stew
Along with its beautiful beaches, Jamaica is known for its vibrant and flavorful food. Jamaican cuisine is influenced by a number of other countries and continents, including Spain, Africa, England, India, China, and France. A typical main dish includes spiced seafood or chicken with rice and beans or peas. Curries and stews made with flavorful spices are commonplace, and fried plantains are normally served alongside. Beverages are just as fun as the food, as Jamaicans are famous for their fresh fruit juices, ginger beer, homemade sodas, and let’s not forget: rum!

Jamaican Chickpea Stew
This recipe incorporates many of the typical flavors used in Jamaican cooking, but instead of using chicken for the stew, I made it meatless by adding a can of chickpeas. I also omitted the capers from the inspiration recipe because I didn’t have any on hand, and I knew the stew would be flavorful enough without them.

I was amazed by how easy this Jamaican Chickpea Stew was to make. It requires just two steps: sauté the onion with the spices, then simmer with the remaining ingredients for 15 minutes. Plus, the ingredients list is super simple. Between your spice cabinet and your pantry, I’m willing to bet you already have all of the ingredients on hand to do dinner island-style.

Jamaican Chickpea Stew

Jamaican Chickpea Stew

This simple, spicy, and satisfying vegetarian stew takes only 20 minutes to whip up. Inspired by Cooking Light’s Jamaican Chicken Stew.

• Yield: 4 servings

• 1/4 cup dry red wine
  • 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained

For serving:

• 3 cups cooked brown rice

1. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the curry powder, thyme, allspice, red pepper flakes, and salt; cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
  2. Stir in the red wine, black beans, chickpeas, and tomatoes. Bring to a full boil, then reduce the heat to medium low and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Taste and add additional salt if desired. Serve over brown rice.

Preparation tip: If your rice isn’t already cooked, start it about 15 minutes before you make the stew. It should be ready right about the same time the stew is!

Liz @ The Lemon Bowl
    June 4, 2014 at 8:37 am

Love these flavors and spices!

June 5, 2014 at 12:32 am

Thanks, Liz! The spices really do make the meal so inviting.

Jacki @ Two Forks One Love
    June 4, 2014 at 9:19 am

We honeymooned in Jamaica, so anything Jamaican flavored holds a very special place in my heart. Will try this for Meatless Monday for sure!

June 5, 2014 at 12:31 am

What a wonderful place for a honeymoon! So glad you’re into Jamaican food. Let us know how you like the meal 🙂

Erin | The Law Student's Wife
    June 4, 2014 at 10:20 am

I’d give anything to jump on a plane and GO to Jamaica right this second, but since that’s not an option this stew will do very nicely in the meantime. Looks so full of flavor and hearty!

June 5, 2014 at 12:30 am

I’m right there with ya! A good long getaway in a beautiful country sounds amazing…and being able to try all of the authentic food? Dreamy. Alas, home-cooked Jamaican food will have to do for now 🙂

Adrienne @ Whole New Mom
    June 4, 2014 at 12:59 pm

Look wonderful! And I have a post of chickpeas on the stove right now!

June 5, 2014 at 12:28 am

Thanks Adrienne! Let me know if you try the stew 🙂

Lisa
    June 4, 2014 at 1:38 pm

I grew up on Jamaican food daily and I crave meatless versions of my favorites partially because I eat very little meat and partially because I don’t have time to do that type of Jamaican cooking so thanks for posting this! I would add that having good quality yellow curry will make all the difference in having this taste authentic. And if you really like spicy, get your hand on a scotch bonnet pepper and I bet it would taste divine subbed in for the red pepper flakes.

June 5, 2014 at 12:27 am

I’m envious of all the authentic Jamaican food you’ve experienced. I’d love to try the dish with scotch bonnet peppers but unfortunately my local grocery store doesn’t carry them. 🙁 I’ll have to keep an eye out for them when I visit other stores. Thanks so much for your suggestions! 🙂

Lala
    June 4, 2014 at 3:45 pm

None of the spices in this speaks Jamaican…there’s no scotch bonnet pepper, thyme, escallion, pimento…nothing that we Jamaicans cook with. Tried it as the recipe says but it was bland..

June 5, 2014 at 11:00 am

Thanks for your feedback, Lala, and I’m sorry you didn’t like the recipe. I’ve never come across scotch bonnet peppers or pimentos at my grocery store and figured our readers could add more red pepper flakes to their desired heat level. I figured if my grocery store doesn’t carry them, our readers would have difficulty finding them as well. It can be difficult to make completely authentic ethnic food under ingredient restrictions, but we still like our readers to get a taste for other cuisines 🙂 Thanks again and I’ll be sure to track down more Jamaican ingredients for my next go-round.

Jennie @themessybakerblog
    June 4, 2014 at 4:12 pm

There’s so much flavor happening in this dish. Love it!

June 5, 2014 at 12:23 am

So glad you like it, Jennie!

June 4, 2014 at 8:01 pm

I love chickpeas! Glad to add another great recipe to my collection!

June 5, 2014 at 12:23 am

Aren’t chickpeas the best? They liven up any meal in my opinion. Plus they’re so great for you! Glad you like the recipe, Ami!

Courtney @ The Fig Tree
    June 4, 2014 at 8:46 pm

So many great flavours in the stew! Looks delicious! I love a quick one-pot dinner. This would be amazing over rice cooked in coconut milk. Awesome recipe!

June 5, 2014 at 12:19 am

Oooooh, I really like the idea of coconut milk rice! That sounds so flavorful and also adds great health benefits. I was thinking plain Greek yogurt would have been tasty on top of the meal. Next time around, I’ll be sure to add it. 😀

Elisa @ Insalata di Sillabe
    June 5, 2014 at 5:24 am

This stew looks amazing and so comforting, plus I’ve never experimented with Jamaican cousin and now I can’t wait to learn more about it and try out some of their typical dishes!
    Thanks for this great inspiration 🙂

xo, Elisa

June 5, 2014 at 10:49 am

You got it, Elisa! I’m excited to dive into more Jamaican recipes, myself 🙂 Hope you enjoy the recipe!

Abigail Korver
        June 5, 2014 at 2:22 pm

Jamaican cuisine can be really fun! This stew looks yummy, I will probably add some scotch bonnets to up the spice factor and make it more true to the traditional jerk seasoning. I will also probably cook the brown rice in coconut milk. Looking forward to trying this, I have never thought of replacing chicken with chickpeas. I think I will like it, and it seems so easy!

June 6, 2014 at 11:34 am

All of that sounds amazing, Abigail! I’ll have to follow suit the next time I make the stew 😀

TastyRules
    June 5, 2014 at 7:15 am

Just, I love it! This is great! Now, I am hungry 🙂

June 5, 2014 at 11:21 am

Thank ya! It’s definitely a winner. I mean, c’mon…beans, rice, and tasty spices?! Can’t go wrong! 😀

Gabrielle
    June 5, 2014 at 10:39 am

Africa is a continent. Not a country.

Lisa
    June 5, 2014 at 12:48 pm

Just make the Jamaican chickpea stew & love it!

June 5, 2014 at 12:51 pm

Oh good! I’m so happy to hear you enjoyed the stew, Lisa and thanks so much for letting us know!

Nicky
    June 5, 2014 at 2:12 pm

This sounds good. I have been experimenting with chick peas and can’t wait to try this.
    I noticed someone else made mention to the other spices that Jamaicans cook with.
    As a Jamaican, I can say yes that is true, but it is not necessary as those spices are mostly used on meat to bring out the flavour. A pinch of salt can go a long way to bring out the desired flavours.
    Scotch bonnet is very hot, so if you don’t know how to use it, the experience can be unpleasant.
    Please note that not all Jamaicans love “heat”.

June 6, 2014 at 11:39 am

Thanks so much for your input, Nicky. I figured the scotch bonnet peppers would be a stretch for most people who aren’t accustomed to spicy cuisine, too – plus, I’ve never seen one in person, although I would love to try cooking with them. I’m with ya – salt + a variety of spices always seems to work wonders on a meal. I’m glad you’re excited to try the dish and can’t wait to hear what you think! Have a wonderful weekend!

BusyWorkingMama
    June 5, 2014 at 4:11 pm

This sounds wonderful! It looks like a hearty dish our whole family would enjoy. My 6 year old is a huge fan of chickpeas.

June 6, 2014 at 11:41 am

Aww, I love that your 6 year old enjoys chickpeas! I definitely wouldn’t have touched them as a kid, so I’m impressed by the adventurousness. Let me know if you try the meal and what your kidlet things of it 😀

Jessica @ Jessiker Bakes
    June 5, 2014 at 11:56 pm

Being Jamaica, living in Jamaica, I’m impressed! Not only does this stew look delicious, you got all the Jamaican facts right, especially the rum 🙂 haha!

June 6, 2014 at 11:45 am

Yaaaay, thanks, Jessica! I’m glad you enjoyed the post and I appreciate you letting me know my facts check out, ha! One of these days, I’ll head over to Jamaica, myself and enjoy some authentic cuisine and all that rum. sluuurp! Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

Joanne
    June 7, 2014 at 9:54 pm

I love the big bold flavors of Jamaican food, but always thought it was over for me when I went veg. Obviously NOT. Love how you’ve veg-ed up this recipe!

June 9, 2014 at 3:11 pm

Thanks, my dear! I’m happy I could oblige. Now let’s make some Jamaican food and eat all them beans!

Tenissa
    June 9, 2014 at 3:43 pm

Great recipe! But also, please correct: Africa is NOT a country! 😉

Kiersten Frase
      June 9, 2014 at 3:47 pm

It says “countries and continents” in the post. 🙂

Lindsay @ The Local Taste
    June 18, 2014 at 11:56 am

LOVE this mix of flavors! I recently became a Vegetarian and this looks like a hearty and flavorful dish! Thanks for sharing. 🙂

June 18, 2014 at 4:19 pm

You got it, Lindsay! So glad you’re interested in trying the stew – it really does have a lot of warm, inviting flavor! 🙂

Haley
    July 21, 2014 at 11:02 pm

I made this for the first time and its incredible! I didnt have any garbanzo beans on hand so i substituted a can of kidney beans and it worked great. I’ll be making this again soon! Thanks!

Julia
      July 22, 2014 at 3:55 pm

So glad to hear you enjoyed it, Haley! The added kidney beans sound great. As a huge lover of every type of bean, I feel like any bean combo would work well in the stew. Definitely a good recipe to keep on hand when you need a nice filling meal 🙂

Sarah
    July 30, 2014 at 5:01 pm

I just made this last night and WOW – it’s so good! I love that it has a little kick and it’s so healthy! Definitely adding this to the regular rotation. Thank you 🙂

Alice
    July 31, 2014 at 7:10 pm

I made this last night and thoroughly enjoyed it! My non-vegetarian parents loved it too. Tastes great topped with greek yoghurt. I will definitely be making it again.

Thanks!

Lynn
    September 17, 2014 at 12:40 am

My mom is Jamaican and hasn’t heard of any dish like this before. I wouldn’t call it Jamaican but it does look delicious!!

Nicki Escudero
    October 15, 2014 at 3:49 pm

Hi, Julia,

Great recipe! I tried it last night, and it was tasty! Do you have any tips for cooking rice? I mess it up every time I try to cook it, and last night was no exception. Thanks! Nicki

Rachel
    August 17, 2015 at 9:34 am

This was delicious!! Thank you so much for these great recipes. I was getting tired of my same old recipes and these are helping me stay on track. 🙂

• 1 2