A creamy dreamy vegan mushroom alfredo sauce without the cream, making it dairy free too. Yes, it is possible. Let me show you how!
This post was originally sponsored by the Australian Mushroom Growers Association. It's since been updated. As always, all opinions are my own.
While we all know mushrooms are healthy, research suggests the potential for mushrooms to assist in reducing the risk of breast cancer. Which is good news if you are a mushroom lover like me!
So to support the Australian Mushroom Grower's Association and their "Mushrooms Go Pink" campaign, I'm sharing this creamy, dreamy mushroom vegan alfredo recipe with you.
Looking at this creamy mushroom vegan alfredo sauce you'd never know that it doesn't have cream in it. Not an ounce, dollop or lick of cream. Nada. Zip!
Not an ounce, dollop or lick of cream. Nada. Zip!
In fact it is absolutely dairy free and vegan too!
The secret ingredient? Cashews.
Tip: For more creative ways to vegan-ize your favorite recipes, be sure to grab this free vegan substitution cheat sheet!
I know you are probably wondering if I am off my rocker, but no, I'm not because this is the best creamy dairy free mushroom sauce ever.
In fact, it tastes SO much like a creamy pasta sauce that my husband has declared it his new favorite meal!
I was actually skeptical that my very traditional, "different" hating husband would hate this sauce so I refused to tell him what was in it at first.
But as he devoured a bowl of it and went back for seconds I knew I had a winner with this easy vegan dinner.
I just let the blender run while I chop the onions and mushrooms to ensure everything is mixed to a delicious smooth and creamy emulsion.
Once the mushrooms and onions are cooked the sauce simply needs warming through before tossing through the pasta.
If you are gluten free, be sure to use gluten free pasta, and to make it vegan use a vegan pasta.
And if you love this vegan mushroom alfredo, you'll want to check out these other simple vegan pasta recipes:
- One Pot Creamy Mushroom Pasta
- Five-Minute Vegan Alfredo Sauce
- One Pot Thai Green Curry Noodles (just use a vegan pasta)
- Vegan Mushroom Bolognese
- The Internet's Favorite Vegan Mac & Cheese
And don’t forget to grab a copy of my free vegan cheat sheet too! It’s packed with my favorite easy substitutions to help you make just about any recipe vegan!
- Place the cashews, water, nutritional yeast, mustard and garlic in the blender. Blend until smooth and creamy. Taste and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Place a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add half the oil and fry the onion until golden. Remove the onions from the pan and return the pan to the heat. Increase the heat to medium high and add the mushrooms (you may need to cook them in batches) and the remaining half of the oil. Cook until lightly golden. Return the onions to the pan and add the thyme and the alfredo sauce.
- While the mushrooms are cooking cook the pasta according to packet directions. When you add the sauce to the pan take a spoonful of the pasta water and stir through the sauce. Heat until warmed and then remove from the heat. Drain the pasta.
- Toss the pasta through the sauce and serve immediately.