These vegetarian jalapeno poppers are fully loaded with black beans, corn, and cheese goodness for the ultimate party appetizer!
It's that time of year again - party season! And with lots of parties comes lots of snacking. That means it's time to step up our appetizer game.
These vegetarian jalapeno poppers are baked rather than fried, so they're a little bit healthier than the classic version. And they're stuffed with black beans for a healthy dose of protein!
Fresh corn adds juicy sweetness to cut the spice - and then panko bread crumbs are mixed with smoked paprika and sprinkled over the tops to give a smoky umami crunch. Yum!
These homemade jalapeno poppers are:
- Fully loaded with black beans, corn, and cheese goodness.
- Easy to make in 30 minutes.
- A perfect meatless appetizer idea.
While you're here, be sure to grab our FREE 5-Day Meatless Meal Plan. It's packed with tasty recipes to make vegetarian cooking easy and delicious!
Tips & Tricks
The exact spice level will vary greatly depending on how hot your peppers are, but I noticed that much of the heat was toned down after roasting.
If you are very spice-averse, you can make these with mini sweet bell peppers instead of the jalapeños, though you may have to increase the cooking time slightly as they tend to have thicker skins.
I strongly recommend wearing gloves while you slice and clean the jalapeno peppers, to avoid any unpleasant burning when you inevitable touch your face! (Seriously... trust me.)
If you are not up to the task of slicing the fresh corn from the cob, you can substitute frozen corn kernels.
Feel free to adjust the seasonings to your own taste. I love the smokiness that comes from using the smoked paprika, but regular paprika will also work. You can also try experimenting with your own favorite Mexican spice blend.
More Recipes to Try
If you love these vegetarian jalapeno poppers, be sure to check out these other delicious ideas:
- 15 Vegetarian Party Appetizers
- Baked Broccoli Poppers
- Jalapeno Cheddar Crackers
- 25 Easy Meatless Appetizer Ideas
- Heat oven to 350°F. Wearing rubber gloves, cut the jalapenos in half lengthwise and remove the seeds and membranes. Place them, cut side up, on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Cut the corn kernels off the ears of corn and toss kernels in a large bowl with the black beans, Cheddar cheese and sour cream. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Stuff the filling into the empty cavity of each pepper. It's okay if they overflow a little.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the panko, smoked paprika and salt. Sprinkle over the peppers so that they are evenly coated.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and oozing and the poppers are golden. Serve hot.