Tabbouleh is one of those recipes that I’ve always enjoyed as a side dish. That is, until now.
This version is packed with plenty of chickpeas and even a bit of crumbled feta cheese, giving it a heartier feel and allowing it to really stand on its own as a meal. While wonderful when it’s freshly made, this recipe also makes for an excellent make-ahead lunch or dinner, as it gets better and better as it sits and the flavors really meld together.
In the original recipe, this dish is made with chopped rotisserie chicken. We’ve swapped that out for chickpeas, which still give plenty of protein and have a mild enough flavor that they don’t overpower all the fresh herbs and veggies.
Tabbouleh is a personal dish, so feel free to play around with the herbs and seasonings to your liking. Don’t enjoy fresh mint? Decrease the amount (or cut it out completely) and add more parsley. Love lemon? Squeeze in a little extra or serve with lemon wedges! You can also certainly tinker with the vegetables depending on your own preferences.
I like to serve with some crunchy pita chips for a nice contrast in texture. Light, yet filling, it makes for one heck of a summer meal.
- 3/4 cup bulgur cooked according to package directions
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped english cucumber
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onion about 3
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Lemon wedges for serving (optional)
- Once the bulgur is cooked, allow it to cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, add the cooled bulgur, chickpeas, tomatoes, cucumber, green onion, parsley, mint and feta. Toss to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Pour into the bowl with the bulgur and toss until combined. Season with additional salt to taste and serve with lemon wedges, if desired.