Recipes/ Sides/ Snacks/ Vegan/ vegan recipes

Baked Sriracha Potato Chips

Baked Sriracha Potato Chips

Baked Sriracha Potato Chips
I’ve made these Baked Sriracha Potato Chips several days in a row now. Oh yes, I like to test my recipes a few times before posting them, but I think this time it’s because these are a little bit addictive. They’re both crispy and spicy, two of my favorite qualities in a snack.

Spice and I

I haven’t always been a fan of spicy food. Mostly because I didn’t grow up eating it. Back in the day, I used to think Tombstone cheese pizza was spicy. (Yes, really.) Indian and Thai food were not on my radar and any dish involving jalapenos was unthinkable to me.

Sriracha Sauce
For this, I blame my mom. She never made us anything spicy because she didn’t like spicy food herself. My brothers and I still like to laugh about the time we went to Chili’s and our mom got upset about the food being spicy. I was in high school at the time, when every embarrassment seems so epic and horrific, and I remember wishing so desperately that I could disappear as she complained (loudly!) to the waiter that her chicken quesadillas were spicy. And then—and then!—she asked to speak with the manager.

Because the chicken quesadillas were spicy.

At a restaurant with a chili pepper in its logo.

(My mom is going to be so mad that I’m writing about this.)

When I began dating my husband, that’s when I started sneaking little bites of the spicy food he ordered. And soon, those little bites turned into bigger bites and then I was ordering spicy dishes for myself. I still don’t like things that are too spicy, but as long as the dominant flavor isn’t “searing pain”, we’re good.

Baked Sriracha Potato Chips on Baking SheetAbout the Recipe

With sriracha, I’ve found that a little bit goes a long way. I think a single teaspoon is just perfect in these baked sriracha potato chips. It gives them a kick without it being unpleasant. It’s a slow heat that creeps up on you—at first, you think, “This needs more sriracha.” And then, “Oh, hi sriracha. There you are!” Of course, if you like things super spicy, you might want to up this to a teaspoon and a half or even two. But don’t say I didn’t warn you. Because this isn’t Chili’s and there’s no manager for you to complain to.

Baked Sriracha Potato Chips

Baked Sriracha Potato Chips [close]

These spicy homemade sriracha potato chips are absolutely addictive!

• Yield: 2 servings

• cooking spray or oil mister
  • 1 tbsp peanut oil (canola or vegetable oil would work too)
  • 1 tsp sriracha
  • 1 large Russet potato, washed and cut into 1/8-inch slices (use a mandoline slicer if you have one)
  • salt, to taste

1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray or oil.
  2. Line potato slices on baking sheets. Whisk together peanut oil and sriracha in a small bowl. It takes a while to fully incorporate the sriracha into the oil—be persistent!
  3. Brush potato slices with sriracha oil mixture and sprinkle with salt. Bake for 10–20 minutes—baking time depends on oven temperature and thickness of slices. It’s really important that after 10 minutes, you check on these every minute or so because they go from perfectly done to burnt really quickly! They’ll be done when the edges begin to brown—some parts may still be a little bit soft, but that’s to be expected with baked potato chips. Serve right away—homemade potato chips don’t store well.

For crispier chips, soak your potatoes first. After you’ve sliced the potatoes, put them in a bowl and cover them with ice cold water. Let them sit for about an hour or two, then drain and rinse the potato slices. Line them on paper towels and dry thoroughly. This removes some of the starch from the potatoes. I tried making these Baked Sriracha Potato Chips with the soaking step and without; they are delicious either way you make them, but soaking the potatoes first definitely resulted in a crispier chip.

This recipe was originally published on 5 July 2012.

Shelly
    July 5, 2012 at 9:05 am

OH MY! This look amazing! What did you use to slice your potatoes so thinly? I was thinking about using my food processor with the slicer attachment.

I love spicy food and sriracha so this is right up my alley!

Thank you!

July 5, 2012 at 2:29 pm

I used a mandoline slicer–I just added it to the instructions, so thanks for pointing that out! 🙂 I think a food processor slicer would work too.

Carol @ Always Thyme to Cook
    July 5, 2012 at 11:12 am

Count me in! I love Sriracha, those chips look fantastic!

Mary Beth Elderton
    July 5, 2012 at 11:21 am

I can’t wait to try these! Hubz will love them. I actually grew up on spicy foods–Tex Mex. Rotel tomatoes. Jalapeno cornbread. Yummmm.

July 5, 2012 at 2:28 pm

I love those things now, but it took me so long to acquire that taste for spicy foods! 🙂

Stefani
    July 5, 2012 at 12:16 pm

I am a big fan of Sriracha sauce so I might just have to try your recipe.

July 5, 2012 at 2:27 pm

If you like sriracha, you will love these chips!

Jennifer
    July 5, 2012 at 2:14 pm

Oh my these look divine! I can’t wait to make them. I don’t have a mandoline slicer but hopefully a really sharp knife will do the trick. I never knew soaking your potatoes would make a crispier chip. Thanks for the wonderful recipe. I love your blog, it’s gorgeous.

July 5, 2012 at 2:27 pm

If you have a sharp knife and a steady hand, that works too. 🙂 After I posted my last potato chip recipe (which called for paper-thin slices!), I got feedback from readers saying they had trouble getting the slices right without a mandoline, so I did them a little thicker this time.

Jackie @ The Beeroness
    July 5, 2012 at 2:31 pm

I love these. Seriously, I will be making them. Soon. And I LOL’d at your Chili’s story.

July 5, 2012 at 3:00 pm

And I’m making your Stout & Sriracha Barbecue Sauce soon too. I almost made it yesterday, in fact, but was feeling too lazy to cook. But soon!

cassie
    July 5, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Oh goodness, completely in love with these!

July 5, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Thank you! I kind of am too. 🙂

Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell
    July 5, 2012 at 3:53 pm

I need to buy one of those slicers just so I can make these. I LOVE spicy! I know what you mean about how you grew up too. My mom was the blandest cook in the world, still is!

July 6, 2012 at 7:57 am

I think that’s just how Midwesterners cook!

Chrissy
    July 5, 2012 at 4:15 pm

These look amazing! Must make these stat! I can readily admit that I am one of those people who find it too difficult to heed warning when it comes to spicy foods. I always think it needs to be even spicier. Then my taste buds go numb and my mouth is on fire for hours. Sigh…

July 6, 2012 at 7:56 am

Ha! I always do that too. Mostly because sometimes spiciness creeps up on you–I’ll taste something and add more, but then when I actually sit down to eat it, I realize that I made a terrible, terrible mistake.

Crystal
    July 5, 2012 at 4:37 pm

I’m so weak, I just can not do spicy. Ground pepper is even too much for me. Anything in a chip can’t be bad, though, right?

July 6, 2012 at 7:54 am

I used to not be able to do ground pepper either!

Cat Davis - Food Family Finds
    July 5, 2012 at 5:08 pm

Okay I’m really laughing out loud because I hate the Tombstone pizzas because the sauce is crazy spicy.

July 6, 2012 at 7:53 am

THANK YOU! My husband always gave me so much grief over thinking Tombstone pizza was spicy. “You’re imagining things because that is not spicy!” I’m glad I’m not alone. 🙂

Emily
    July 5, 2012 at 6:42 pm

Holy Deliciousness. These look so good. I’m going to try to get my husband to make these – I just bought HIM a mandoline!

July 6, 2012 at 7:49 am

My husband is in charge of our mandoline too. Because if I used it, I would definitely slice off a finger.

Heidi @ Food Doodles
    July 5, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Ooooh, delicious idea! I was raised with spicy food and I usually like it, but not too too spicy. My hubby is pretty sensitive to it, but that’s OK… more spicy stuff for me 😀

Natalie
    July 5, 2012 at 8:21 pm

I agree .. I like spicy food but what’s the point of eating something that just burns all your tastebuds off? These look great, and I love your tip for making crispier potatoes!

July 6, 2012 at 7:45 am

Exactly! I like to be able to taste other flavors in sauces and foods and when the spiciness dominates, it’s not pleasant!

BusyWorkingMama
    July 5, 2012 at 10:09 pm

YUM!! Totally going to try the baked chips. I’m a chip-aholic and would love a delicious healthy option!

July 6, 2012 at 7:44 am

They are definitely healthier than the fried ones!

[email protected] eco friendly homemaking
    July 5, 2012 at 10:42 pm

Okay I need to make this like tomorrow!! These look awesome!!

Aylin @ Glow Kitchen
    July 5, 2012 at 10:43 pm

Mmmm I love homemade chips — those look delicious!!

TastefullyJulie
    July 5, 2012 at 11:00 pm

You had me at sriracha! I’m kinda going the opposite of you. I used to be able to eat super hot suicide sauce with no problem but the older I get the more sensitive I am. I still like spice but not burn-your-face-off hot!

July 6, 2012 at 7:43 am

That’s funny! But yeah, I’ve never gotten the appeal of the super spicy hot sauces and things like that. I feel like extreme spiciness kills all the nuances of flavor.

Emma @ FoodGeek
    July 6, 2012 at 5:37 am

I have never made my own chips before – I think it’s about time I started!

July 6, 2012 at 7:35 am

They are so good when you make them yourself–I love them hot out of the oven!

July 6, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Your story about your mom is cracking me up! I think parents (mine included) tend to decide their kids won’t like something, or that spicy food isn’t appropriate for kids. My toddler niece eats spicy food without a blink while her mother and I run for water. I love the idea of using sriracha in potato chips, and just where did you get that really cute chip bag??

July 6, 2012 at 5:23 pm

I know I’m going to be feeding our kids spicy foods as soon as they can eat! 🙂 I don’t want them to be picky eaters like I was (or am–ha). And I bought those bags from Sweet Lulu. Take out your credit card and be prepared to spend a lot. 😀

July 6, 2012 at 10:35 pm

Holy cow… that place is both everything I’ve been looking for and avoiding! Cute milk jugs!! But at $20 to $30 apiece?

July 7, 2012 at 2:34 pm

I know! I wanted those, but I ended up getting the plastic one instead thinking it would be a cheaper substitute. Bad idea–it doesn’t look the same at all.

Stephanie @ henry happened
    July 7, 2012 at 1:45 pm

I’ve never had sriracha but I do love spicy (esp potato chips!). I love that you just HAD to make them several times 🙂

July 7, 2012 at 2:29 pm

If you like spicy food, you need to buy a bottle of sriracha! So good. It’s kind of like tabasco sauce in that you can put it on anything. 🙂

Notorious Spinks
    July 8, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Now that is funny!

I bet I’d love these chips too and I love that the recipe is easy to follow.

Thanks

July 8, 2012 at 8:12 pm

It really doesn’t get much easier than making baked potato chips–that’s why I love them! 🙂

Serena
    July 8, 2012 at 2:44 pm

Just discovered your site thru Healthy Aperture. LOVE this recipe…because I LOVE siracha. My mom didn’t cook spicy either. We grew up in Montana. But now I live in Chicago and can’t get enough spice – especially in summer when a hot mouth makes the rest of you seem cooker. (: Great site and gorgeous photos. I’m still trying to get the photo thing down!

July 8, 2012 at 8:10 pm

Thank you! And I always wondered why spicy food is more popular in hotter regions of the world–maybe you are onto something there! 🙂

Anne
    July 8, 2012 at 9:11 pm

I have never tried to make potato chips, sounds like fun!

Kenda @ Remaking June Cleaver
    July 9, 2012 at 10:36 am

My husband eats Sriracha on EVERYTHING….and he gave up fried potato chips a few years ago. When I tell him about this recipe he is going to think I totally rock! Thank you!

July 10, 2012 at 8:28 am

Ooh, well then you really have to make these! 😀