Recipes/ Sides/ Vegan/ vegan recipes/ vegetarian recipes

Vegan Baked Fried Rice

Baked Fried Brown Rice Recipe

FINALLY! “Fried” rice you can love without the self-loathing! Although baked fried rice takes longer than fried fried rice, it’s not any more work–in fact, it’s probably a little bit less. And you end up with that perfect fried rice texture and taste in a healthier package!

Baked Fried Brown Rice

Baked Fried Brown Rice Recipe

Baked fried brown rice made with sriracha, pineapple, cashews, and edamame.

• Cook Time: 1 hour
  • Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
  • Yield: 4 servings as main dish, 6-8 servings as side

• 4 c. cold leftover brown rice
  • 1 bunch green onions, sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
  • 1 c. pineapple chunks (I used fresh, but I’m sure canned would be fine)
  • 1 c. frozen edamame, thawed
  • 1/2 c. raw cashew pieces
  • 2 tbsp. coconut oil, melted (peanut, vegetable, or canola oil would work too)
  • 3 tbsp. soy sauce
  • 1 tbsp. sriracha (more for spicier fried rice, less if you like it milder)
  • Oil mister or cooking spray

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
  2. Combine rice, green onions, pineapple, edamame, and cashews in a large bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together oil, soy sauce, and sriracha. Pour oil mixture over rice mixture and stir until well-combined.
  3. Spray a rimmed baking sheet with oil or cooking spray. Pour rice onto sheet in an even layer. Bake for 45-60 minutes, stirring about every 20 minutes, or until rice is dry and just beginning to get crispy. Serve with additional soy sauce and sriracha, if desired.

The rice I used for this was 2 days old.

Mumseword
    November 5, 2012 at 9:27 pm

I’m Chinese and this is my first time hearing baked fried rice! It’s such a healthy alternative plus the brown rice bit! You can add chinese mushrooms to add extra flavor and Chinese Wine. try it! =)

November 6, 2012 at 2:46 pm

No, I don’t think this recipe is authentic at all. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Natalie
    November 5, 2012 at 10:52 pm

I just made a version of fried rice recently and wasn’t crazy about it but I only used a tiny bit of oil to try to keep it healthy – I will have to try a baked version next time, and I love the idea of adding pineapple and edamame!

November 6, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Yeah, when you fry it, I think you do need a lot of oil. But it’s so hard to strike a balance between getting it perfectly crispy and having an oily mess!

JulieD
    November 5, 2012 at 11:16 pm

Looks so good, Kiersten! Pat yourself on the back! ๐Ÿ™‚

Jennifer The Quirky Momma
    November 5, 2012 at 11:27 pm

The photos are beautiful! I usually do not know what to do with leftover grown rice, my kids won’t eat it plain and I usually end up shoving it in the back of the frig and forgetting about it. I like the idea of ‘reusing’ it in a completely different way.

Thank you! I really love your blog!

November 6, 2012 at 2:06 pm

This is definitely the perfect thing to do with leftover brown rice! I also like adding some egg, herbs, cheese, veggies, and whatever else and making little rice cakes. ๐Ÿ™‚

Sara
    November 5, 2012 at 11:32 pm

This looks super yummy! Must try ๐Ÿ™‚

Jessica @ Chockohlawtay
    November 6, 2012 at 7:41 am

Greatest. Idea. Ever! This is definitely going to be a popular post, and if it’s not, you’re going to get about 184729 views from me alone to stare at it and refer back to it when I make it all week long!

November 6, 2012 at 2:04 pm

Ha! Well, it ended up getting more views than I expected. But man, I have had a lot of disappointments in the past. Nothing is worse than when you really! really! love a recipe and everyone else is like: meh.

Sarah
    November 6, 2012 at 11:12 am

I love chewy rice too, this is a great and healthy way to do it!

Allie E.
    November 6, 2012 at 11:58 am

Hello! I found your blog a couple months ago – and I love it! Thank you for making veggies fun and exciting! You’ve got a fan in Houston, TX!

November 6, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Thank you so much–I’m so glad you enjoy Oh My Veggies! ๐Ÿ˜€

Caitlin
    November 6, 2012 at 12:57 pm

you are amazing and totally desire to be patted on the back! i can’t wait to try this out, it looks delicious and i love the addition of pineapple!

November 6, 2012 at 1:35 pm

Pineapple is quite possibly the best thing you can add to fried rice. ๐Ÿ™‚ Much better than desiccated little peas!

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com
    November 6, 2012 at 9:08 pm

This is so creative!! Bet the rice and ingredients tasted nuttier and delicious!

November 7, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Yes, with the brown rice and the baking, it definitely brings out the nuttiness. So good!

Jeanette
    November 6, 2012 at 9:30 pm

Great idea – I’d never think to make baked fried rice!

Kristi Rimkus
    November 6, 2012 at 10:47 pm

I was totally intrigued when you called this baked fried rice. I expected a ton of ingredients, but now I’m really happy to see that this recipe is completely simple and sounds fantastic.

November 7, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Nope, it couldn’t be easier and it’s very customizable too!

Julia | JuliasAlbum.com
    November 7, 2012 at 3:20 am

This rice looks very delicious! And there is nothing wrong with being excited about your recipe and blogging about it. I sometimes get that way too!

November 7, 2012 at 2:36 pm

I’m glad I’m not the only one! I guess it’s good to have passion for what you do, right? ๐Ÿ™‚

Robin
    November 7, 2012 at 1:33 pm

This may be a bit forward, and I only just found you a moment ago, but… I think I love you. xDDD

November 7, 2012 at 2:32 pm

Well thank you! I think? ๐Ÿ˜‰

Kelly @ A Girl Worth Saving
    November 7, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Growing up I ate a lot of rice and I mean a LOT of rice and we never had it baked. Wait a second we did and it was a sweet treat. Ha! I totally forgot about that. Looks delish.

November 8, 2012 at 5:51 pm

Was it baked in a banana leaf? My mom’s friend used to make something like that. But I’m not sure if it was baked or steamed…

Kelly @ A Girl Worth Saving
        November 8, 2012 at 6:08 pm

Nope, that’s not the one and that dessert is steamed. My mom would make us a weird Filipino style rice crispies ๐Ÿ™‚

November 9, 2012 at 5:48 pm

Weird Filipino rice crispies sounds really good, actually. ๐Ÿ˜€

November 8, 2012 at 1:46 am

When I opened up the page I thought, “Oooh, cashews! And pineapple!” Love the trailblazin. And hate recipes with onion soup packets, or cans of cream of mushroom soup or boxed potatoes. lol

November 8, 2012 at 5:39 pm

Ha ha! That’s like what I grew up on. I don’t make them anymore, but I still crave those casseroles. Like the one made with frozen hashbrowns, a tub of sour cream, a can of cream of celery soup, cheese, and rice krispies. ๐Ÿ˜€

Lena
    November 8, 2012 at 6:03 am

I don’t know why, but the posts I am excited about usually aren’t popular either.
    But this baked fried rice sounds really good. I recently tried making fried rice, but without generous amounts of oil, it just doesn’t turn out that good. I think I have to try it baked next time. Pat yourself on the back, really, it’s a wonderful idea.

November 8, 2012 at 5:36 pm

Yeah, you need to add a lot of oil to get it right, and even then, it doesn’t always turn out. It’s very frustrating! I’ve had bad luck with fried rice until trying it this way.

November 8, 2012 at 4:29 pm

I’ve actually never really liked fried rice, but that’s probably because I’ve never tried it your way! I agree with you on the peas and carrots – I think edamame, cashews and pineapple make much more sense in this dish! Quick question – could you make the rice the day of and just let it cool enough before using it in this recipe, or does it have to be leftover (as in sitting in the fridge for quite a while)?

November 8, 2012 at 5:27 pm

Since the rice is being baked, it might work to make the rice right before. But traditionally, fried rice is made with old rice because it’s a little bit more dried out. It’s possible that it would take a little more time in the oven if it’s fresh. If you make it like that, let me know how it turns out!

Sheila
    November 8, 2012 at 9:33 pm

Wow.. That looks really good ๐Ÿ™‚

Jenn @therebelchick
    November 10, 2012 at 7:58 am

This looks really good! I’ve never had the gumption to try making my own fried rice, and this seems like something I could actually do!

November 12, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Yeah, this is easy peasy. Much easier than making it in a wok or skillet!

Heidi @ Food Doodles
    November 10, 2012 at 1:06 pm

This is an awesome idea!! I love fried rice too, but I can’t always get the texture just right. I need to try this next time ๐Ÿ™‚

November 12, 2012 at 1:39 pm

Yeah, it seems so simple on the surface, but it is such a tricky thing to do!

Kelly @ Texas Type A Mom
    November 11, 2012 at 10:15 pm

My menu plan for this week is getting so much easier thanks to you! I love fried rice but this makes it so much easier! Bonus is these are ingredients I always have on hand!

November 12, 2012 at 1:20 pm

I’ve seen two people mention making it with chicken, so you can always throw that in too. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Courtney Rae Jones
    November 14, 2012 at 8:25 pm

You are a genius! This looks wonderful ๐Ÿ™‚

And I’m the same way. I schedule my posts for midnight (normally I’m in bed just before that). And then I cannot sleep, because I’m excited about a post going live. *hehe* I love sharing with others – especially sharing about food!

November 15, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Maybe you need to start scheduling your posts for when you’re already awake so you can get some sleep! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Renee Rasmussen
    December 4, 2012 at 2:19 am

Oh hello! When I first saw this I knew I’d make it. Tonight was the night. I had one day old brown rice, nuts, green onions and a grain mix from trader joes. Tons of sirachi later and an hour in the oven and it’s pure heaven!!! Thank you thank you for this post!!!!

December 4, 2012 at 10:01 am

I’m so glad you enjoyed it! This is probably one of my favorite recipes of the year–I’m a little bit obsessed. ๐Ÿ™‚

Trista