Recipes/ Sides/ Vegan/ vegan recipes/ vegetarian recipes

Vegan Baked Fried Rice

Baked Fried Brown Rice Recipe

FINALLY! “Fried” rice you can love without the self-loathing! Although baked fried rice takes longer than fried fried rice, it’s not any more work–in fact, it’s probably a little bit less. And you end up with that perfect fried rice texture and taste in a healthier package!

Baked Fried Brown Rice

Baked Fried Brown Rice Recipe

Baked fried brown rice made with sriracha, pineapple, cashews, and edamame.

• Cook Time: 1 hour
  • Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
  • Yield: 4 servings as main dish, 6-8 servings as side

• 4 c. cold leftover brown rice
  • 1 bunch green onions, sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
  • 1 c. pineapple chunks (I used fresh, but I’m sure canned would be fine)
  • 1 c. frozen edamame, thawed
  • 1/2 c. raw cashew pieces
  • 2 tbsp. coconut oil, melted (peanut, vegetable, or canola oil would work too)
  • 3 tbsp. soy sauce
  • 1 tbsp. sriracha (more for spicier fried rice, less if you like it milder)
  • Oil mister or cooking spray

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
  2. Combine rice, green onions, pineapple, edamame, and cashews in a large bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together oil, soy sauce, and sriracha. Pour oil mixture over rice mixture and stir until well-combined.
  3. Spray a rimmed baking sheet with oil or cooking spray. Pour rice onto sheet in an even layer. Bake for 45-60 minutes, stirring about every 20 minutes, or until rice is dry and just beginning to get crispy. Serve with additional soy sauce and sriracha, if desired.

The rice I used for this was 2 days old.

Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell
    November 5, 2012 at 7:40 am

You pat yourself on the back because you do deserve it. I have never even wanted to eat fried rice because it didn’t sound remotely healthy or appetizing, but you’ve done gone and made me crave it. I love the recipe!

November 5, 2012 at 9:52 am

Yeah, I love fried rice, but I usually feel too guilty to order it. It is SO GOOD though.

Robin
    November 5, 2012 at 7:41 am

I’m totally gonna try this. We love Asian cuisine in our house and this sounds absolutely fantastic.

November 5, 2012 at 7:47 am

Girl you crack me up! I’m going to make this by the barrel full and it shall be vacuum frozen for future use to the point I will no longer have freezer room…and then I shall curse you for giving me no room for any of my stuff.

November 5, 2012 at 9:50 am

Ooh, I wonder how it freezes–would it still be crispy? I might have to experiment. I’m pretty much in love with this recipe, so I’m sure I’ll be making it again very soon.

Brian @ A Thought For Food
    November 5, 2012 at 8:16 am

I’m going to have to try this! Also, why have I completely forgotten to add cashews and pineapple to my fried rice? Such a shame. That’s going to have to change.

November 5, 2012 at 9:49 am

This Thai restaurant we go to has pineapple cashew fried rice–we never order it because who orders fried rice at a Thai restaurant, right? But I knew that pineapple and cashews would be superior to peas, carrots, and eggs.

Rachel @ Following In My Shoes
        November 5, 2012 at 12:49 pm

I agree — this combination sounds SO good. I don’t like “traditional”, American fried rice. Eggs kinda gross me out from time to time.

November 5, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Me too! You know, I was kind of waiting for someone to comment about the lack of eggs. I don’t enjoy them in fried rice at all. Blech.

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc.
    November 5, 2012 at 9:17 am

this looks awesome!! I am totally making this!

November 5, 2012 at 9:39 am

Hey girl, I love blogging too !!!!!!!

You are so tricky making fried rice all healthy on us. Love ti!

Carolyn
    November 5, 2012 at 10:18 am

Baked Fried Rice…look at you go! That’s not an easy feat to accomplish ๐Ÿ˜‰

Shaina
    November 5, 2012 at 10:26 am

I’m still excited about your originality. We make fried rice all the time by making giant batches of rice and then sticking them in the refrigerator to get old. Still, I love the idea of doing it with brown rice and in the oven so I can do something else while it finishes up. Perfection.

November 5, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Yeah, I make a lot of things in the oven for this reason–even if it takes a little longer, it’s nice not to have to multitask.

Kare @ Kitchen Treaty
    November 5, 2012 at 10:28 am

Yes! Many pats on the back! This recipe *does* look SO GOOD and I cannot wait to try this method.

Stephanie @ henry happened
    November 5, 2012 at 11:23 am

Kiersten, you are so funny ๐Ÿ™‚ Of course it’s so good! You made it so it must be good!!

November 5, 2012 at 2:58 pm

Ha! Well no, I’ve had my fair share of kitchen disasters. I just choose not to post those. ๐Ÿ™‚

Jennifer
    November 5, 2012 at 11:29 am

holy yum yum yum!!! I am drooling! One of my favorite foods EVER! Never had it baked but I’d try it in a heart beat

November 5, 2012 at 2:58 pm

I totally love fried rice too–I’m pretty psyched to be able to make a healthier version. ๐Ÿ™‚

Emily
    November 5, 2012 at 11:33 am

Things I’ve learned about your blog:

NEVER read it when I’m hungry.

Having said that, I’ll be making this for myself this week while my husband is out of town! (don’t want to have to share it!)

November 5, 2012 at 2:56 pm

I hope you like it! I’m kind of obsessed now. ๐Ÿ™‚

Viswa
    November 5, 2012 at 11:42 am

Good Job!! ๐Ÿ™‚ I know the feeling.. It IS a good recipe!

Meghan @JaMonkey
    November 5, 2012 at 11:45 am

This looks so good. Pinning!

November 5, 2012 at 12:03 pm

It definitely works as it looks droolworthy to me.
    Glad to know that you enjoy blogging ๐Ÿ˜‰

Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes
    November 5, 2012 at 12:13 pm

This is my kinda meal! I order something similar to this at a restaurant that I go to a lot. This looks amazing!

Rachel @ Following In My Shoes
    November 5, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Pat away, girl! You are so funny and a freakin’ good cook. This looks amazing …. simply AMAZING.

November 5, 2012 at 2:55 pm

Aw, thank you. ๐Ÿ™‚ I totally want to eat fried rice everyday now.

Jackie @ Domestic Fits
    November 5, 2012 at 1:27 pm

I was JUST telling a new blogger that you have to be 100% obsessed with your blog or you will never do anything with it. I kind of expected to “get over it” at some point. But then I started another blog that I am even more obsessed with. So that’s how that went.
    Oh, and my husband is obsessed with fried rice, so I will be making this at some point soon ๐Ÿ™‚

November 5, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Yeah, I thought this would be a phase too, as most of my hobbies are. And then it became a job and not a hobby. The first job I’ve had that I actually enjoyed! I think it really comes through when people aren’t into their blogs, so your advice is totally spot-on.

Meg @ Beard and Bonnet
    November 5, 2012 at 1:29 pm

Whoa! If I were close enough to you I would pat you on the back! This is one stunning rice dish, I think that I will make a plan to cook some extra brown rice this week. Thanks so much for trailblazing in the kitchen:)

November 5, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Yeah, I am usually not one to pat myself on the back (I enjoy nitpicking myself much, much more!), but I was pretty darn proud of this one. ๐Ÿ™‚

SCM (SocialCafe Magazine)
    November 5, 2012 at 2:02 pm

LOL I’m the same way. Love this recipe BTW it looks so tasty and I know my family would love it, so it’s a must try!

sarah @ two tarts
    November 5, 2012 at 2:19 pm

I’m excited about this recipe, too! I like that chewy crispy texture, but have a tough time getting it without using TONS of oil. I will give this a try next time!

November 5, 2012 at 2:41 pm

This is definitely the best fried rice I’ve made at home and it’s also better than a lot of the fried rice I’ve gotten from restaurants, if I do say so myself. ๐Ÿ™‚ I LOVE that chewy texture and a lot of places don’t get it right.

Lauren
    November 5, 2012 at 4:36 pm

Totally making this tonight. My husband is at work, so I get a veggie meal all to myself! ๐Ÿ™‚ Love the addition of pineapple!! Yum!!

November 6, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Woo hoo! I hope it turned out well. ๐Ÿ™‚

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking
    November 5, 2012 at 5:30 pm

This looks so delicious, Kiersten! Lovely veggie dish, and EASY too!

Twingle Mommy
    November 5, 2012 at 6:04 pm

I make veggie fried rice all the time. I’ll have to try it baked sometime, much healthier!

Coleen Patrick
    November 5, 2012 at 8:39 pm

This sound so yum! Can’t wait to try ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks!

• 1 2 3