Appetizers/ Entrees/ Make It Meatless/ Recipes/ vegetarian recipes

30-Minute Vegetarian Pho

30-Minute Pho Recipe

30-Minute Vegetarian Pho
The first time I went out to eat at a Vietnamese restaurant with my family, I was very unsure of what to expect. I had the misconception that the meal would be your run-of-the mill greasy, heavy food, requiring a great deal of extra sweat time at the gym. I was surprised and delighted when I ordered pho soup and was presented with the largest bowl of fresh and flavorful ingredients I had ever happened upon in public.

For those of you who are unfamiliar, pho (pronounced ‘fuh’) soup is a classic Vietnamese dish. A typical pho includes rice noodles in broth, a combination of raw and sautéed vegetables, fresh herbs, and rare sliced steak. Since we’re making this meal meatless, we left out the steak and added in meaty sautéed shiitake mushrooms. I sautéed the shiitakes in butter and hoisin sauce, but you can easily switch out the hoisin for soy sauce or liquid aminos.

30-Minute Vegetarian Pho
The broth for a traditional pho usually involves a whole lot of spices and a whole lot of simmering–sometimes for up to 3 hours if you’re making the stock yourself! I wanted to make a pho that was doable for a weeknight meal, so I simplified things by making a quick ginger broth instead. I usually serve my pho with store-bought hoisin sauce and chili garlic sauce so that people can mix and match sweet and spicy flavors as desired.

30-Minute Vegetarian Pho
You can easily add your favorite vegetables to this 30-Minute Vegetarian Pho too. Since it is spring time, you can throw in asparagus, snow peas, fennel, or sliced radishes; for summer, try thinly sliced zucchini or yellow squash or green beans. Tofu, seitan, or cooked slices of tempeh can be added to up the protein in this recipe too. Pho is highly customizable, so everyone can assemble their own bowls with their favorite add-ins. Who doesn’t love that kind of dinner?!

30-Minute Vegetarian Pho

Pho Soup with Sautéed Shiitake Mushrooms

A streamlined version of pho with a simple ginger broth base and shiitake mushrooms to make it meatless!

• Yield: 4 to 6 servings

• 64 ounces homemade or low-sodium vegetable broth
  • 6 green onions, thinly sliced
  • 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and grated
  • Salt to taste
  • 1 1/2 tablespoon butter
  • 6 ounces shiitake mushrooms, tough stems removed
  • 1 1/2 tablespoon hoisin sauce
  • 2 teaspoons sesame oil
  • 14 ounces rice noodles, cooked according to package instructions
  • 8 ounces bean sprouts
  • 2 jalapeño peppers, thinly sliced
  • Fresh cilantro, basil, lime wedges, hoisin sauce, and chili garlic sauce or sriracha for serving

1. In a large pot, combine the vegetable broth, green onion, grated ginger, and salt. Bring to a full boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
  2. While the broth is cooking, melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and sauté for about 6 minutes, or until tender, stirring frequently. Stir in the hoisin and sesame oil and cook until the sauce thickens and coats the mushrooms, about 1 minute more. Remove from heat.
  3. Divide the rice noodles between four to six large bowls, then fill each bowl with the ginger broth. Add bean sprouts, sliced jalapeños, shiitake mushrooms, fresh basil, and cilantro and serve with lime wedges, hoisin, and chili garlic sauce.

Ann
    April 30, 2014 at 9:06 am

Sounds just as delicious as it looks! I will try, since all my children are in collage Ive been adventurous in cooking.

Dixya @ Food, Pleasure, and Health
    April 30, 2014 at 9:52 am

pinned!! I cant wait to try the vegetarian version already…

April 30, 2014 at 11:42 pm

Thanks for sharing, Dixya! Let us know when you try it 🙂

dishing up the dirt
    April 30, 2014 at 10:14 am

yum! I love pho and this is definitely happening at our house very soon. Lovely recipe Julia!

April 30, 2014 at 11:40 pm

Wahoooo!! Thanks, Andrea! I bet you and Taylor would adore the recipe 🙂

Jacki @ Two Forks One Love
    April 30, 2014 at 10:32 am

My first attempt at homemade pho was a giant flop and it took forever to make. I might have to try this one — it sounds delicious and I love that it’s so fast!

April 30, 2014 at 11:39 pm

Yes, yes, yes! Give it a go! It’s so easy, tasty, and fast – a perfect pho fix without the huge time investment 😀 Thanks, Jacki!

Polly @ Tasty Food Project
    April 30, 2014 at 11:56 am

Pho is one of my favorite dishes ever! I never tried a vegetarian version but this looks delicious!

April 30, 2014 at 11:38 pm

You and me both, Polly! Hope you try it out!

Nicky @ Little Family Adventure
    April 30, 2014 at 12:03 pm

I love Pho but rarely make it at home because of the time it takes to make the broth. I can’t wait to try this recipe. Thanks

April 30, 2014 at 11:37 pm

Yeeeeaah! This 30-minute recipe’s definitely your time saving solution!

Meg van der Kruik
    April 30, 2014 at 1:02 pm

This is just stunning! Love love love!

April 30, 2014 at 11:37 pm

Awwww, thanks Meg!! Yooooou’d love it! 🙂

Laura (Tutti Dolci)
    April 30, 2014 at 1:22 pm

I love pho, what a great weeknight recipe!

April 30, 2014 at 11:34 pm

Thanks, Laura! It’s amazing how quick this recipe comes together. So simple and tasty!

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl
    April 30, 2014 at 1:38 pm

I have been wanting to see what all of the hype is about when it comes to pho for awhile now, but have only ever seen meat versions. Thanks so much for sharing this veggie version 🙂

April 30, 2014 at 11:32 pm

You got it, Hannah! Pho’s lots of phun <- sorry 😉

Connie at Bird and Seed
    April 30, 2014 at 6:29 pm

Mmm, a nice bowl of Pho sounds awesome right now. The basil and cilantro combo have always been a fave of mine. Pacific Foods makes a vegetarian Pho broth that I found to be pretty good and had appropriate fennel and star anise flavor going on… if one was planning on buying broth anyways, this one is worth a try.

April 30, 2014 at 11:31 pm

I love a lot of fresh herbs in pho and feel you can’t go wrong with an easy peasy recipe like this. Enjoy!

April 30, 2014 at 7:21 pm

Such a delicious looking recipe!!

April 30, 2014 at 11:30 pm

Thank you, Ami!

Courtney @ The Fig Tree
    April 30, 2014 at 10:00 pm

This looks delicious Julia! My sister-in-law was in Vietnam last year and kept telling me how delicious the Pho was. Every time I’ve gone to a Vietnamese restaurant in hopes of trying Pho, it always has meat and fish sauce. I’m so excited to make this at home and finally try pho! Great recipe for a quick week night meal 🙂

April 30, 2014 at 11:29 pm

I’m envious of your sister-in-law – It would be amazing to travel to Vietnam and enjoy authentic pho! Happy to hear you’re bringing the pho takeout in! 😀

The Gilded Sprout
    May 1, 2014 at 2:01 am

Fantastic recipe! I am always on the lookout for vegetarian pho. It is so comforting!

May 2, 2014 at 9:02 pm

I’m a big fan too. I love how filling it is, yet how healthful it is at the same time. I’m always so pleased with meals that are big in flavor and have lots of variety. Hope you enjoy!

Grace @ FoodFitnessFreshAir
    May 1, 2014 at 10:14 am

Those glistening shiitakes – beautiful. Love how impressively quick this is.

May 2, 2014 at 9:03 pm

I have no qualms about making this recipe over and over and over. It’s so fun, easy and quick!! Have a great weekend, Grace!

The Green Recipes
    May 1, 2014 at 4:51 pm

Oh…I wish this bowl of Pho appeared in front of me right away. It looks really really delicious!!

May 2, 2014 at 9:03 pm

Yeeeeeah! You and me both! I can always go for a steamy bowl of pho. Let us know if you give ‘er a go!

Joanne
    May 3, 2014 at 8:09 am

I made my first veg pho this past year and it has got me hooked! Your ginger broth sounds much more lovely than the five-spice-based broth I made. Want to slurp up this bowl so bad!

May 5, 2014 at 10:08 am

So glad you like the idea, Joanne! A 5-spice broth sounds brilliant too – I’ll have to try that out next time I make pho 🙂

Melissa @ Nourish By Melissa
    May 4, 2014 at 1:17 pm

I actually went out for chinese and had vegetarian pho last week, which was delicious! Thanks for sharing this recipe so I can now recreate it at home 🙂

May 5, 2014 at 10:10 am

Isn’t veggie pho the best?! Let us know if you try out the recipe and I hope you had a great weekend!

Tara
    May 4, 2014 at 7:38 pm

Fantastic! I made this tonight and both the hubby & I really enjoyed it!

May 5, 2014 at 10:11 am

I’m so happy to hear it, Tara!! There’s nothing like a huge bowl of noodles in broth with sauteed shiitakes. It’s all about the small things in life, right? Thanks for trying out the recipe and for giving us your feedback! 😀

Sam smlth
    May 5, 2014 at 2:53 am

Real Pho broth is actually made with bone marrow!

Kiersten Frase
      May 5, 2014 at 7:28 am

We know that. This is a vegetarian food blog–do you really think we’re going to make the broth with bones? If you’re looking for an authentic pho recipe, there are hundreds of them on other websites.

Emily
    May 18, 2014 at 9:45 pm

I have been looking for a recipe like this one for a while, cannot wait to try it! Thank you for all of the beautiful recipes 🙂

May 19, 2014 at 4:31 pm

Awesome, Emily! I’m so glad you’re excited to try the pho. Let us know what you think and thanks so much for your kind compliment!!

Jessica
    May 24, 2014 at 8:02 pm

This was absolutely delish! My 4 year old scarfed it down! This was the very first recipe I found and made on this site and it was a huge success. We are trying to go more vegetarian and recipes like this make it easy for a family that is used to eating meat every night. Highly recommend!

Delea
    July 10, 2014 at 1:49 pm

I made this last night. I don’t like mushrooms so I just drizzles some oil and hoisin into the broth as it was boiling. To compensate I added raw chopped carrots and broccoli when I poured the broth over the noodles (I like the veg crispy like they are in the Vietnamese restaurant near my house). I found my noodles didn’t soften enough so I microwaved it for one minute and it was perfect! I kept my noodles, broth and veggies separate for lunch so it wouldnt go soggy and it is delicious today too! Great recipe!

Barbara
    August 21, 2014 at 10:05 am

Made this last night. It was delicious. I had some Vietnamese Brown Rice Noodles with Seaweed on hand and used them. My 13 yr old loved it!

Blaie
    September 14, 2014 at 4:28 pm

I made this tonight, it was so easy and delicious

Tiff
    November 5, 2014 at 4:46 pm

I’m Vietnamese & I grew up on my mom’s homemade pho ga (chicken). It’s the best pho ga on the face of this planet & I’ve tried my own hand at making vegetarian pho a few times (all delicious!). While this recipe is gorgeous & looks delicious, it’s not really pho. The absence of the essential pho spices (fennel, cinnamon, coriander seeds, star anise) makes this recipe more of a delicious shiitake mushroom noodle soup. Pho also needs an entire yellow onion that has been grilled & kept in the broth. You could pop that into the oven at 425 with some light oil for 15 minutes & then plop it into the soup to additional sweetness. Hoisin sauce & Sriracha (not chili garlic sauce) are the common condiments one uses for pho. The herbs are on point though! I applaud your photography & recipe, but you gotta add those spices in it to call it pho! Vietnamese moms all over would roll their eyes if they couldn’t taste or smell the spices of pho in a dish you call pho. I’m really not trying to be contrarian – it’s the soup of my peoples, gotta get them spices down, girl!

• 1 2