Vegan Pomegranate Orange Jello Shots
Jello fruit slice shots are awesome, but they’re not vegetarian. This version uses agar agar and fruit juice instead of Jello, so it’s veggie-friendly and adult party ready!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 2 hours 50 minutes
- Yield: 4
- 4 small oranges (halos are great!), halved and insides removed
- 1 c. pomegranate juice
- 1tsp. agar agar powder (not flakes)
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 3/4 c vodka
- 1/c water
- Whisk together pomegranate juice, sugar, water, and agar agar powder in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 2-3 minutes until powder is fully dissolved, continuing to whisk occasionally.
- Remove from heat, add vodka slowly, stirring thoroughly
- Place orange halves upright in a small plastic container or dish. You want them to fit together snugly, but not be smashed in. Pour juice mixture into orange peels, careful not to over- or under-fill. Allow orange halves to rest on the countertop until almost solidified. (Agar agar is solid at room temperature.)
- Once filling is nearly solid, move wedges to refrigerator until completely chilled (about 2 hours). Carefully remove halves from container and cut into wedges with a sharp knife.