This vegan gnocchi bake with oyster mushrooms, a rich tomato sauce and plenty of dairy-free cheese is comfort food at its best! Anyone will love this wholesome savory dish for a weeknight dinner that's guaranteed to impress.
Gnocchi never fails to amaze me! It's one of my go-tos whenever I'm craving some simple plant based comfort food for dinner. There are so many different ways you can make it, and it always tastes so incredibly delicious with a variety of sauces. However, I have to say that making a gnocchi bake really takes it to the next level!
This vegan gnocchi bake brings together simple ingredients in just a few easy steps. But the result is guaranteed to impress anyone! The final dish is rich, wholesome and savory, with an incredible amount of flavor. And you need just around 30 minutes to make it from start to finish. And we all know how much I love quick comfort food, so if you're like myself, vegan baked gnocchi will be your cup of tea for sure.
I added oyster mushrooms because they're great for adding a 'meaty' texture almost reminiscent of bacon. And the addition of vegan cheese really takes it to the next level! Just make sure to pick a brand that melts well. Aside from that, you need just a few ingredients to make the tomato-based sauce, and you're good to go! Dinner sorted.
How to make a vegan gnocchi bake
Start by melting vegan butter in a frying pan or sauce pan. Add minced garlic, an onion, carrots and oyster mushrooms. Before adding the mushrooms, shred them using your hands. Cook for 5 minutes, until the vegetables soften.
Now add soy sauce, tomato paste, garlic powder, and sriracha. Stir together for around 2-3 minutes more, until fragrant.
Meanwhile, cook gnocchi of your choice according to instructions on packaging, until they rise to the surface. You can also use homemade vegan gnocchi. This usually takes around 3 minutes. Also preheat the oven to 180 degrees C/350 F.
Transfer the gnocchi to the pan with the vegetables using a slotted spoon and mix it together. Add grated vegan cheese, and stir together once more.
Transfer the gnocchi to an ovenproof dish of your choice. Sprinkle more vegan cheese on top, and bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, until crispy on top and the cheese had melted.
Tips and ingredients substitutions
- You can go ahead and add other vegetables of your choice. For instance, zucchini or bell peppers would work very well in a vegan gnocchi bake.
- If you want to make this dish gluten-free, use gluten-free gnocchi and tamari instead of soy sauce.
- You can use either store-bought gnocchi, or make your own. For instance, you can go ahead and use my sweet potato gnocchi, which is also gluten-free.
- You can add beans or pulses of your choice, such as chickpeas or tinned lentils. I also love adding tinned peas or sweetcorn.
- Instead of vegan cheese, you can use nutritional yeast.
Vegan gnocchi bake for meal prep
I love making vegan gnocchi bake ahead of time to enjoy for lunch for a couple of days, especially if I know I'm going to be busy. You can store it in an airtight container for up to 4 days. Reheat in the microwave or on the stove, adding a splash of plant based milk.
Other recipes featuring gnocchi and pasta
- My vegan gnocchi soup with kale is super comforting.
- You can't go wrong with dairy-free garlic butter pasta.
- Pea and avocado pasta is the way to go!
- Try my creamy pasta with broccoli for an incredible dinner.
If you give this vegan gnocchi bake a go, be sure to tag me on Instagram (@ohmyveggies) and leave your feedback in the comments below together with a star rating!
- Frying pan
- Baking dish
- 3 tbsp vegan butter
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 large carrot chopped
- 7 oz oyster mushrooms
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp sriracha
- 7 oz gnocchi
- ½ cup vegan cheese grated
- Melt the vegan butter in a frying pan or sauce pan. Add the minced garlic, onion, carrots and oyster mushrooms. Before adding the mushrooms, shred them using your hands. Cook for 5 minutes, until the vegetables soften.3 tbsp vegan butter, 3 cloves garlic, 1 large onion, 1 large carrot, 7 oz oyster mushrooms
- Add soy sauce, tomato paste, garlic powder, and sriracha. Stir together for around 2-3 minutes more, until fragrant.3 tbsp soy sauce, 2 tbsp tomato paste, 1 tsp garlic powder, 2 tbsp sriracha
- Cook the gnocchi of your choice according to instructions on packaging, until they rise to the surface. This usually takes around 3 minutes.7 oz gnocchi
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C/350 F.
- Transfer the gnocchi to the pan with the vegetables using a slotted spoon and mix it together. Add grated vegan cheese, and stir together once more.½ cup vegan cheese
- Transfer the gnocchi to an ovenproof dish of your choice. Sprinkle more vegan cheese on top, and bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, until crispy on top and the cheese had melted.
Something to say? Leave a comment.