Sweet Potato Brownies are sweet, fudgy, and bursting with flavor. This dessert only requires 10 ingredients and only takes 30 minutes to make! These brownies are simple but bursting with rich chocolate flavor.
This recipe here is a must make. The sweet potatoes add a moist texture and also helps add richness to the brownie batter.
This Sweet Potato Brownie recipe is...
- Topped with crunchy nuts
- Rich and fudge
How to Make Sweet Potato Brownies
- The first thing to do is prep your pan and preheat the oven as directed.
- Mix up the cooked, mashed sweet potato and the maple syrup. Mix till combined.
- Stir in the peanut butter and vanilla, then work in the dry ingredients.
- Toss in the pecans and chocolate chips, then pour the batter into the greased pan and top with nuts.
- Bake as directed. Once the brownies are done, remove and allow to cool. Slice and serve.
Full directions for the brownies are in the printable recipe card below.
Tips & Tricks for Sweet Potato Brownies
Mixing the Batter
You will find that the batter will be a thicker texture. So don't be worried about the batter being too thick—it is meant to be!
For this recipe I used a 9x9 pan. If you want, you can double the recipe and use a 9x13 baking dish. An 8x8 pan will work as well.
I also recommend placing parchment paper into the pan for easy removal. You could also use cooking spray to prevent sticking.
Quality Maple Syrup
I do recommend using quality real maple syrup instead of the super cheap imitation maple syrup. It will affect the flavor of the brownies if you don't use real.
Feel free to cook the potatoes the night before or earlier in the day. That way your potatoes have time to cool so you can peel and mash them.
Variation to Sweet Potato Brownie
Leave out the chopped pecans or swap them for walnuts or even slivered almonds. The nuts add a nice crunch to the brownies, which I find compliments it nicely.
Swap the chocolate chips out with peanut butter or white chocolate chips. Then stir chips into the batter just as you would the ⅓ cup chocolate chips.
Sweet Potato Brownie FAQs
How to cook sweet potatoes?
I find that cooking sweet potatoes in the microwave is the fastest way. You can also cut a slit in the center and bake your sweet potatoes in the oven at 425°F for 30 minutes to an hour. The cooking time will depend on the potatoes.
How do you store sweet potato brownies?
These brownies can be stored in an airtight container for 4–5 days in the fridge. You will find after a few days the brownies might dry out a bit.
Can you freeze sweet potato brownies?
You can freeze any leftover brownies you don't plan to eat right away. Simply place them in a freezer-friendly bag or airtight container for up to three months. When you're ready to eat them, thaw in the fridge.
- 1 ½ cups mashed sweet potato
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup smooth peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup almond flour
- ⅔ cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- ⅓ cup chocolate chips optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F, line a 9x9 baking sheet with parchment paper, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together sweet potato and maple syrup until smooth.
- Add peanut butter and vanilla to sweet potato mixture and stir well.
- Mix in almond flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt until fully combined.
- Stir in the pecans and chocolate chips, reserving about a tablespoon of each to sprinkle on top.
- Stir until well combined.
- Press mixture into prepared pan, and sprinkle with remaining pecans and chocolate chips. Then bake in preheated oven for 25–30 minutes or until brownies are no longer shiny on top.
- Allow brownies to cool for 20 minutes in pan before removing. Carefully use parchment paper to lift brownies out of the pan and slice them into 12 pieces.
- Store in your fridge.