If you’re anything like us, this is the time of year when cravings for all the fresh food of Spring and Summer start to hit. And while it’s true that in most parts of the world, there isn’t a whole lot of fresh produce being harvested at this time of year, there are still some amazingly nutritious winter vegetables that will keep us going until the spring.
Broccoli is one of our favourite winter vegetables to lean on. It’s such a versatile vegetable and is delicious in so many different ways. You can steam it, roast it, braise it, eat it raw, or, as we’ve done here, make a delicious green soup.
We’ve paired broccoli with some other superstar ingredients to make a green soup that’s delicious and packed full of nutrition to get you through the winter months. There’s sweet potato for a good dose of vitamin A, a whole baby of baby spinach for some iron and folate, and frozen edamame for a good boost of plant-based protein. Plus broccoli which brings a whole lot of vitamin C and dietary fiber to the table.
This soup comes together in a flash, and if you use an immersion blender to purée it, it’s a one-pot meal. Plus, it freezes like a dream, so you can make a big batch and stash some away for busier days. Serve the soup with a scattering of edamame beans, or a swirl of plain yoghurt or cashew cream over the top.
Super Green Winter Soup
This quick and easy green soup makes use of winter vegetables like broccoli and sweet potatoes for a hearty soup and a blast of much-needed nutrients.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 6
- Category: Soup
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bunch broccoli, about 2 cups chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 7 ounce package baby spinach leaves
- 1 cup frozen shelled edamame
- 4-6 cups vegetable broth
- juice of 1 lemon
- Heat the oil in a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion, and sauté for 3-5 minutes, until it has softened.
- Add the garlic, sweet potato, and broccoli and sauté for another 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the ground cumin and smoked paprika, and stir to combine well.
- Add the baby spinach leaves, and stir until they have wilted down.
- Add 4 cups of vegetable broth and the edamame, and bring the soup to the boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until the vegetables are tender.
- Remove the soup from the heat, and using an immersion blender purée the soup until smooth.
- Return to the heat, and add the lemon juice a bit at a time, tasting as you go.
- Add the remaining broth if you prefer a thinner soup.
- Serve hot, with edamame beans as garnish.
- The lemon juice adds a bright flavour to the soup. Add half of it, taste the soup, and decide whether you want to add the remaining amount.
- 4 cups of vegetable broth will yield a fairly thick soup. Add 1-2 cups of additional broth if you want a thinner soup.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 112
- Sugar: 3.2g
- Sodium: 428.4mg
- Fat: 6.7g
- Carbohydrates: 12.5g
- Fiber: 2.9g
- Protein: 2.9g
- Cholesterol: 0