This Hoisin-Glazed Stuffed Acorn Squash is so incredibly flavorful, yet so simple to make. Protein-packed chickpeas and veggies are tossed with a sweet and savory sauce, and roasted to perfection. This is an easy vegan dinner that's pretty enough to serve at a dinner party! And it's 100% vegan and vegetarian too.
This recipe a sneak preview from my brand new cookbook, Weeknight One-Pot Vegan Cooking. Be sure to check it out for more delicious and easy vegan recipe ideas.
I love squash! No doubt about that.
Some of my favorite recipes on the blog feature Fall squash - like this Butternut Squash Curry, this crazy-popular Vegan Mac and Cheese with hidden veggies, or this simple Thai Pumpkin Soup. (You can grab all three in my free vegan toolkit too!)
But one thing I have not featured often enough is acorn squash!
So here we go.
This stuffed acorn squash is a sneak-peek recipe from by new cookbook, Weeknight One-Pot Vegan Cooking. It's absolutely delicious. And it looks pretty impressive too, huh?
Bet you'd never guess that I made this easy vegan dinner in a single pan with just a few minutes of actual cooking involved.
It's so incredibly simple to pull together. Just mix together the healthy vegan stuffing - which consists of chickpeas, onions, scallions, and spinach.
And then toss it all in a delicious Asian-inspired hoisin glaze. It's made from hoisin, soy sauce, rice vinegar, garlic, and ginger. Yum - what's not to love.
Then you simply roast these stuffed acorn squash in the oven - easy peasy.
And my favorite part? Even those this is so easy to pull together - it looks like a work of art! So it's perfect for entertaining, or a great addition to your vegetarian Thanksgiving menu or meatless Christmas dinner!
In fact, this stuffed acorn squash is so good, that it's included in my brand new cookbook, Weeknight One-Pot Vegan Cooking.
If you haven't checked out the book already, please do! It's loaded with 75 one-pot vegan recipes that are just perfect for busy weeknight cooking.
Every single one can be cooked up in a single pot or pan, making both cooking and cleanup a breeze. Who doesn't love that?
Check out the brand-new Weeknight One Pot Vegan Cookbook now!
- 1 acorn squash halved and seeds removed
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 15 oz chickpeas drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup red onion chopped
- 2 scallions sliced, greens and whites separated
- ⅓ cup spinach chopped
- ⅓ cup hoisin sauce gluten-free if desired
- 1 tbsp soy sauce gluten-free if desired
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C, or gas mark 5).
- Place the acorn squash in a baking dish, cut sides up. Spray it lightly with the olive oil cooking spray. Bake the squash for 20 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the chickpeas, red onion, scallion whites, spinach, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, rice vinegar, garlic and ginger paste.
- Remove the acorn squash from the oven. Stuff the hollowed-out centers of each half with the chickpea filling. Use a brush to gently brush some of the hoisin glaze over the exposed flesh of the squash. Return the squash to the oven and bake for 25 minutes, until it is tender. (Larger squash may take longer to cook - the squash is done when it's fork tender.)
- Serve the squash topped with scallion greens.