Sweet potatoes and smoky black beans make these southwest veggie wraps filling and delicious! And they're 100% vegetarian and vegan friendly too.
You want to know what I really love? Practically effortless meals.
At least once a week, I make a big batch of my smoky black beans and cumin roasted sweet potatoes. We eat them together in tacos one night and then I save the rest for fast lunches for the next few days.
A few weeks ago I came across a recipe from Everyday Food for Southwestern Chicken Wraps and I immediately thought that I should put this week's leftovers to work and make my family some delicious Southwestern Veggie Wraps.
I substituted the shredded chicken in the original recipe for roasted sweet potato rounds and I swapped out the sour cream spread for guacamole, making these wraps vegan too.
If you love this, be sure to check out all of our vegetarian sandwiches and wraps while you're here!
Tips & Variations
The best thing about this recipe is that it's versatile! Baked tofu, grilled portabella strips, or fajita veggies would also make delicious additions to these wraps.
The batch of roasted sweet potatoes and black beans makes just enough for this wrap recipe, but if you double them, you can get another meal or two out of them.
Leftover tortillas can be baked into tortilla bowls - fill them with a taco salad made from the leftover spinach, tomatoes, sweet potatoes, and black beans.
You can also toss the sweet potatoes and black beans with quinoa, millet, or brown rice and a spicy vinaigrette for a protein-packed work lunch. See? Practically effortless! And totally delicious too.
More Tasty Ideas
If you love these easy vegetarian wraps, be sure to check out these other delicious ideas:
While you're here, be sure to grab our FREE 5-Day Meatless Meal Plan. It's packed with tasty recipes to make vegetarian cooking easy and delicious!
Smoky Black Beans
Cumin Roasted Sweet Potato Rounds
- 1 cup prepared guacamole homemade or store-bought
- 4 large tortillas
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 1 large tomato thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion thinly sliced
To prepare the black beans:
- Place all of the ingredients, including the liquid from the beans, into a medium saucepan and simmer on low heat for 5-8 minutes, until warmed through. Drain the beans (don't rinse them though!) and set aside.
To prepare the sweet potatoes:
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss the sweet potato rounds with the olive oil, cumin, salt, and pepper. Spread in an even layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Roast the potatoes for 10 minutes, flip them and roast 10-15 minutes more until they are crispy and golden brown on the outside.
To assemble the wraps:
- Spread the tortillas with guacamole, leaving a 2-inch border. Divide the spinach, sweet potatoes, black beans, tomato, and onion evenly among all 4 tortillas, piling the toppings in the center of each.
- To form the wraps, fold two sides of the tortilla over the filling, then roll tightly, ending seam side down. Cut in half down the center to serve.