Recipes/ Sides/ Vegan/ vegan recipes/ vegetarian recipes

Roasted Broccoli with Meyer Lemon and Garlic

Roasted Broccoli with Meyer Lemon and Garlic Recipe

Roasted Broccoli with Meyer Lemon & Garlic
Sometimes I have an idea so brilliant that I need to stop whatever it is I’m doing and start working on that idea right away. This week, I had one of those ideasβ€”I would Photoshop my cats into the Kardashian Christmas card. YES. And I did it, but it didn’t quite work out as I had planned because I have surprisingly few pictures of my cats standing straight up, so I couldn’t replace the Kardashians with cats. And then I thought that maybe I would Photoshop my cats’ heads onto the Kardashians’ bodies, but that would take this project from “Ha ha, cats!” to “I think Kiersten is having some kind of mental break and needs help.” So in the end, I just had to Photoshop my cats around the Kardashians, which wasn’t nearly as awesome as my original idea. Isn’t it the worst when you have an idea that sounds so great and then it doesn’t work out?

But then sometimes you have ideas you’re not sure about and they end up being even better than expected. Like this Roasted Broccoli with Meyer Lemon & Garlic! I wasn’t sure if it would work, but it did and we loved it. I make roasted broccoli a lot as an easy sideβ€”normally, I just toss it with a little olive oil and seasoning salt, but I thought I would try jazzing things up with thin slices of Meyer lemon. (Why does the phrase “jazzing up” always make me think of someone with a bad perm and mom jeans?)

Broccoli with Meyer Lemons & Garlic
When I put lemon slices on pizza earlier this year, a few people were a little skeptical about that idea. But if you cut them thin, you can totally eat them! They’re chewy and delicious, giving a burst of citrus flavor to any dish you add them to. I used Meyer lemons because they’re in season and they’re slightly less tart than their non-Meyer counterparts. If the thought of eating lemons just doesn’t appeal to you, you can remove them before eating. But you’re missing out!

Roasted Broccoli with Meyer Lemon and Garlic

Roasted Broccoli with Meyer Lemon and Garlic Recipe

An easy side dish that combines broccoli with tart Meyer lemon slices and garlic.

• Yield: 4 servings

• 1 pound broccoli crowns, broken into florets
  • 1 Meyer lemon, thinly sliced (about 1/8-inch slices; use a mandoline slicer for the best results)
  • 3 cloves garlic, sliced
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • Coarsely ground salt and pepper to taste

1. Preheat oven to 400ΒΊF.
  2. Toss all of the ingredients in a bowl. Transfer to a baking sheet that’s been sprayed with additional oil or lined with parchment paper. Roast for 15-20 minutes, stirring after 10 minutes, until the broccoli is tender and just beginning to brown.

Kare @ Kitchen Treaty
    December 5, 2013 at 7:44 am

I can’t be the only one who is a little sad that this post didn’t include a photo of said Kat-dashians. You are hilarious, and I can totally relate to the rabbit hole that can result from a wild hair + Photoshop! (Seriously though, their Christmas card photo – what IS that?!!)

I have yet to try a lemon-with-the-peel on recipe but I like that Meyer lemons are nice and mild and might be a good gateway into these types of recipes. Plus, the yellow and green are so pretty! Would be even prettier with a cute cat somewhere in there. πŸ˜‰

Julie
      December 5, 2013 at 2:14 pm

You are not the only one who is sad about that – I am, too!

Martina @ snapshotsandwhatnots
      December 5, 2013 at 8:31 pm

Me too, I immediately scrolled for the Kat-dashians photo! Boo urns! πŸ™‚

December 8, 2013 at 9:59 pm

Okay, I think I might post it. I was worried about whether it would be considered fair use or not. But I did a little research and it looks like it is. πŸ™‚ And if it’s not, then I’ll just photoshop a cat onto a picture of broccoli. Which is also good!

Kristen
    December 5, 2013 at 8:32 am

You crack me up! Love this recipe though. Can’t wait to try it!

Dixya @ Food, Pleasure, and Health
    December 5, 2013 at 9:38 am

i have the hardest time finding meyer lemon here πŸ™

December 8, 2013 at 9:54 pm

You should be able to find them soon if they’re not in stores now! They seem to be widely available in December and January.

Jessica @ Jessiker Bakes
    December 5, 2013 at 11:14 am

Still laughing at the idea of your cats and the Kardashians! i’m trying to grow my love for broccoli, I’m making a broccoli dish this weekend, and I’m quite the lover of lemons. I think I’d quite enjoy this dish, and it looks so bright and delicious!

December 8, 2013 at 9:52 pm

I think if you try it roasted, you might like it. It really tastes different!

Noemi - Baci di Dama
    December 5, 2013 at 11:28 am

Wow.. so delicious !
    Great recipe πŸ™‚

I’m follow your blog, I like it very much!

Holly
    December 5, 2013 at 12:12 pm

Would love to see your “Cat”dashian card! What fun!
    I think the broccoli dish would be great. Is the skin of a meyer lemon thinner than the regular type? I haven’t used them much but spotted them at Costco recently. Might have to buy a bunch and make some meyer lemon curd while I am at it.

December 8, 2013 at 9:51 pm

I will probably post the card tomorrow. πŸ™‚ The skin on Meyer lemons isn’t thinner than regular lemons, but if you slice the lemons very thin, it’s easy to eat. And I’ve heard Meyer lemon curd is delicious!

dishing up the dirt
    December 5, 2013 at 12:25 pm

This sounds fantastic. I’ve made a similar version of this before and absolutely loved the roasted lemon! So simple yet packed with flavor. Love!

December 8, 2013 at 9:50 pm

Yes, me too–I need to think of more ways to use roasted lemons!

Arthur in the Garden!
    December 5, 2013 at 12:30 pm

Lovely! I do this with brussell sprouts, too!

Kelly @ A Girl Worth Saving
    December 5, 2013 at 12:48 pm

This looks insanely delicious and I love how simple this is!

Maria Tadic
    December 5, 2013 at 1:37 pm

I love lemon slices! Especially when they’re fried…not that its even remotely healthy. But they are delicious!

December 8, 2013 at 9:49 pm

I’ve never fried lemon slices! I didn’t even know that was possible…

December 5, 2013 at 1:51 pm

I love the combo of flavours in this simple broccoli recipe.

Alexis @ Hummusapien
    December 5, 2013 at 2:18 pm

Eeeek I’ve never even tried Meyer lemons! This looks like a perfect place to start πŸ™‚ Love that pop of color!

December 8, 2013 at 9:49 pm

Ooh, you need to try them! They are so good.

Gretchen @ Two Healthy Kitchens
    December 5, 2013 at 2:25 pm

Oh.My.Goodness. I totally laughed out loud when I pictured you photoshopping your cats onto the Kardashian card. You are sooooo funny!!!! And yes, cat heads on people may be one step too far! πŸ™‚
    This broccoli looks amazing – and SO fresh! I always feel that I start to struggle this time of year, and only rely on frozen veggies, until I see a genius recipe like this that reminds me I can still make fresh foods! Yay!!
    My husband makes a roasted broccoli with lemon juice and soy sauce – but we’re going to switch things up and make yours!! And it’s so pretty with the lemon slices!! Love it!

December 8, 2013 at 9:49 pm

Yeah, I know the feeling. I try to buy things that are in season, but root veggies and crucifers start getting boring after a few months. I am eagerly awaiting spring! πŸ™‚

Ash-foodfashionparty
    December 5, 2013 at 3:02 pm

It’s been a while since I saw meyer lemons around. Looks so good.
    Had a good laugh about the cats.

December 8, 2013 at 9:47 pm

They are in season now! Although lately, I’ve been seeing them almost year-round. I guess they’re getting more popular!

Ashley
    December 5, 2013 at 4:20 pm

Bahahaha! Oh my gosh, that would have been a pretty hysterical Christmas card! I’m always trying to get our beagle into our Christmas card somehow : ) And this broccoli sounds delicious too!

December 8, 2013 at 9:46 pm

Yeah, I’d like to do one with the cats, but they so rarely cooperate for photos. πŸ™‚

December 5, 2013 at 5:08 pm

Looks amazing, Kiersten! I have never roasted broccoli before but many of my readers told me I should! Love the yellow colours, it’s so you style.:) Cheers.

December 8, 2013 at 9:46 pm

Definitely try it–it’s so good roasted!

Natalie @ Once Upon a Cutting Board
    December 5, 2013 at 6:26 pm

I only first heard about the Kardashian Christmas card this year and apparently I’ve been missing out! I love your card idea .. I promised Ryan we can do a funny card next year since I forced him to do a more lovey-dovey one this year πŸ™‚ I haven’t tried eating lemon slices like this but I believe you that it’s good!

December 8, 2013 at 9:45 pm

I love funny Christmas cards–I bet you two will come up with something hilarious!

Laura (Tutti Dolci)
    December 5, 2013 at 8:24 pm

I love these flavors, this is a side dish I’d happily eat every night!

Stephanie @ henry happened
    December 5, 2013 at 9:41 pm

I had to google their holiday card and wow, that is too bizarre, even for the K klan. I’m hoping your photos is coming in tomorrow’s post? πŸ™‚ And I love all veggies roasted – what is it about that that makes things extra delicious?!

December 8, 2013 at 9:37 pm

I’m posting it tomorrow. I was on the fence about posting it because a) the Photoshopping didn’t turn out how I wanted it to, and b) I wanted to make sure Photoshopping cats onto the Kardashian Christmas card was fair use (and it is!).

Joanne
    December 5, 2013 at 9:54 pm

OMG that picture would have been AWESOME. I wonder if I can get the.boy to let me send out our save the dates for our wedding with us photoshopped in. Hmmm.

Meyer lemon love! I could sprinkle it all over everything at this time of year!

December 8, 2013 at 9:36 pm

YES! You need to do that. Have you done engagement photos? Because I would totally do them Kardashian-card style. Complete with Bruce Jenner in a weird glass tube.

Rachel @ Bakerita
    December 5, 2013 at 11:15 pm

This literally sounds like my perfect broccoli recipe. I looooove adding lemon to broccoli, but no one else in my family is that into it, so I usually just do garlic. But I’m making them this, and forcing them to love it. If they don’t….more for me! πŸ˜€ Pinned!

December 8, 2013 at 9:32 pm

They can pick the lemon slices out and give them to you. Then everyone wins!

Julia | JuliasAlbum.com
    December 6, 2013 at 1:38 am

Oh mine, you are so hilarious! I was looking for the Photoshopped photo of your cats but was disappointed like others. Please, post it! Oh, and the broccoli + lemon is such a winning combination!

December 8, 2013 at 9:32 pm

I’m posting it tomorrow! πŸ˜€

marquis @realrawkitchen
    December 6, 2013 at 10:34 am

Yum, what a neat idea! I’ve squeezed lemon onto my broccoli before, so this combo makes sense. Roasting the lemon, however, is SO NEAT! I wouldn’t have thought of that. And now I’m intrigued by your lemon pizza, too πŸ™‚

And I agree with a previous reader, the Kat-dashian pics would have just been a wonderful surprise to see haha (and it is a pretty genius idea)

December 8, 2013 at 9:28 pm

I’m posting the cat picture tomorrow. The Photoshopping is really sad, but hey, if people want to see it, I can’t say no. πŸ˜‰

Ronnie Fein
    December 6, 2013 at 12:11 pm

wow, we are on the same wave length! Every time I think about the words “jazzing up” I wonder why! And I love thinking about new culinary ideas — sometimes they work, sometimes they don’t. This sounds too good to miss. Gonna get me some Meyer lemons.

December 8, 2013 at 9:25 pm

Meyer lemons make everything delicious! I always get excited when they’re in season. πŸ™‚

Kathryn
    December 8, 2013 at 12:24 pm

I never thought I liked broccoli until I tried it roasted; now I’m obsessed. This recipe sounds totally delicious!

December 8, 2013 at 9:01 pm

I like broccoli steamed, but it’s SO much better roasted. But almost everything is better roasted. πŸ™‚