Entrees/ Make It Meatless/ Recipes/ vegetarian recipes

Portabella Mushroom Cheesesteaks

Portabella Cheesesteak sandwich closeup on a white plate

Mushrooms (especially portabellas!) are often used as a substitute for meat, not just for their texture, but for their umami flavor. Umami is one of the five basic tastes–it’s a savory flavor, one that can be found in cured meats, cheeses, and soy sauce.Β The best way to really bring out the umami in mushrooms is to cook them in a little red wine. It adds a depth of flavor that you just can’t get with butter or oil alone. So if you make this recipe, don’t skip the wine!

Portabella Mushroom Cheesesteaks

Portabella Cheesesteak sandwich closeup on a white plate

Meaty portabella mushrooms replace the beef in these oven-baked vegetarian cheesesteaks. Inspired by The Little Kitchen’s cheesesteaks.

• Yield: 4 sandwiches

• 2 tbsp. olive oil, divided
  • 2 extra-large portabella mushrooms, thinly sliced
  • 2 tbsp. red wine
  • 1 small green pepper, thinly sliced
  • 1 large onion, thinly sliced
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
  • 8 slices provolone or mozzarella cheese
  • 4 sub rolls, sliced lengthwise (don’t completely cut the top from the bottom, though!)

1. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and cook 3-4 minutes, or until softened and browned. Add wine and increase heat to high. Cook until liquid has evaporated, about 2-3 minutes. Transfer to bowl.
  2. Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
  3. Carefully wipe skillet clean. Heat remaining tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add green pepper and onions; cook until softened, about 5-8 minutes.
  4. Reduce heat to low. Return mushrooms to skillet and stir to combine, then season to taste with salt and pepper. Top vegetable mixture with cheese slices. Once cheese has melted, remove from heat.
  5. Divide veggie mixture into sub rolls. Wrap each cheesesteak tightly with foil and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and unwrap carefully.

If you are bothered by such things, you can remove the gills from the mushrooms before cooking them. They have a tendency to discolor the bread and onions a little.

Nutrition

• Serving Size: 1 sandwich

Robin (Masshole Mommy)
    December 6, 2012 at 7:51 am

I’m not normally a mushroom ran (it’s a texture thing), but the picture looks so good it makes me want to give it a try.

shelly (cookies and cups)
    December 6, 2012 at 8:09 am

Love Julie…she really is such a great friend! These cheesesteaks look amazing, I am a portabello freak!

December 6, 2012 at 8:48 am

Yup, there are so many bloggers who are really secretive about what they do and how they do it, so I totally appreciate that Julie is always willing to share what she knows with others. She is awesome!

December 6, 2012 at 8:33 am

Aww, I’m glad someone was there for you during that time and helped you through it. I consider you the same kind of friend to me. I’m not a mushroom person (like Robin, a texture thing) but I agree the pic makes me at least want to give it a try! YUM!

December 6, 2012 at 8:46 am

Aw, thank you! And you have helped me too. πŸ™‚ The blog world is so darn supportive!

(You got my last email, right? Just checking!)

JulieD
    December 6, 2012 at 8:46 am

These “stolen” cheesesteaks look amazing!!! And everything I said was the truth times 10. I believed in you then & now. Thank you for being a good friend to me!! πŸ™‚

December 6, 2012 at 8:50 am

Aww, thank you. I think I have something in my eye… πŸ˜‰

December 6, 2012 at 9:24 am

How gorgeous! I love mushrooms, but never thought of using them in sandwiches. I must try it soon.

December 8, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Here in the US, mushroom sandwiches are pretty common as a vegetarian option at restaurants. They are surprisingly good!

Candace
    December 6, 2012 at 9:24 am

That is one amazing sandwich! omygoodness! Who needs the meat with that one? I’m so happy things have worked out for you to do this full time. You are really good at it. πŸ™‚

December 8, 2012 at 2:23 pm

Thank you! I’m definitely finding my way and trying to monetize in a way that feels right for me. πŸ™‚

Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell
    December 6, 2012 at 9:59 am

Holy crazy amazing and I don’t even like mushrooms. Why do you try to get me to like them?!

December 8, 2012 at 2:22 pm

I have to warn you, I have another mushroom recipe coming up next week. πŸ˜‰

Emily
    December 6, 2012 at 11:09 am

First, I just found Julie’s blog yesterday. What rock have I been living under? Second, this recipe looks delish – I love cheese, mushrooms and crusty bread. Think I’ll add the ingredients to my grocery list!

December 8, 2012 at 2:22 pm

Julie has so many fun ideas and her photography is amazing–I’m glad you found her blog, even if it was only yesterday! πŸ™‚

Kelly @ Texas Type A Mom
    December 6, 2012 at 11:32 am

I love meat but these look good enough that I don’t know if I’d even miss it!

Samantha
    December 6, 2012 at 11:51 am

This is such a sweet post. Both you and Julie are fantastic and I’m very happy for you! I am full of self-doubt and completely understand where you are coming from with that. Try not to because you are full of awesome.

December 8, 2012 at 2:21 pm

Thank you. πŸ™‚ I think sometimes it’s hard to be a food blogger if you’re not brimming with confidence–there are SO many bloggers out there who can market themselves really well and are so sure of what they’re doing. But you are full of awesome too!

Lindsay
    December 6, 2012 at 12:02 pm

I marinate portabellas in a marinade my father uses for steak, then at family functions, for those that choose a mushroom instead of London broil, etc, they hardly know the difference! It really lends itself to mimicking the meat! The marinade is equal parts soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce with a tbs or so of brown sugar.

December 8, 2012 at 2:19 pm

That sounds so good–I’m totally going to have to try doing that!

Jackie @ The Beeroness
    December 6, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Julie is such a sweetheart! and I also have complete faith in your talents.

And I’m pretty sure I would pick this sandwich over most meat versions, I love Portabella mushrooms so much.

Sarah ~ Magnolia Surprise
    December 6, 2012 at 12:34 pm

Oh I LOVE portabella mushrooms in any way, shape or form! These are delicious sandwiches and I think that baking them for a few minutes would add to the flavor! Yum!

December 8, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Yeah, baking them is such a good idea–I would have never thought of it had Julie not done that with her cheesesteaks!

Jessi
    December 6, 2012 at 1:04 pm

This is going on my menu for next week! I love it! For my house, we eat meat, but I love this dish (and others like it) because we save so much money and are healthier for eating mushrooms instead.

December 8, 2012 at 2:16 pm

I hope you like it! πŸ˜€

Laura K
    December 6, 2012 at 1:39 pm

Oh that looks so good! I love mushrooms. How funny that you happen to have a recipe like this today when I spent all afternoon and last night making mushroom things. I made a triple batch of walnut bella meatballs to have for meatball subs and spaghetti and meatballs. I also made a double batch of mushroom burgers to freeze for later as well. We are having some work done around here and I wanted to make sure that if I could only use the toaster oven and microwave, we would have dinners for the next week! Thank you for sharing this tasty looking sandwich.

December 8, 2012 at 2:16 pm

Those meatballs sound so good! I actually have a mushroom meatball recipe scheduled for next week. πŸ™‚ Except instead of walnuts, I used lentils. It definitely sounds like you have dinners covered for a while–I hope the work you’re having done goes well!

Aggie
    December 6, 2012 at 3:25 pm

Oh this post made me smile in so many ways!! You just made my perfect sandwich πŸ™‚

Julie is a gem, good luck in your new chapter πŸ™‚

Jad @ New South
    December 6, 2012 at 4:49 pm

Love Portobellas and yes they taste like steaks to me! This one is going in my ziplist box!

Amy of Vspot
    December 6, 2012 at 8:52 pm

This looks totally delicious and now I’m hungry before bed~

Kelly @ A Girl Worth Saving
    December 6, 2012 at 10:05 pm

Aw, that’s so awesome Julie was able to help you πŸ™‚ These seriously looks amazing! At first glance, I was like, waahhh Kiersten is eating meat? Now it makes sense and looks so tasty. Portobellos were my go to meat substitute when I was veggie.

December 8, 2012 at 2:09 pm

I guess I didn’t realize how much the mushrooms looked like meat when I was editing these photos! πŸ™‚

Jennifer
    December 6, 2012 at 10:30 pm

oh yes please! I am a huge fan of mushrooms!

Katherine
    December 6, 2012 at 10:48 pm

I love mushrooms as a meat sub!

calvin eaton
    December 6, 2012 at 11:25 pm

Hi Kiersten,
    I began following your blog just months ago as I embarked on the world of blogging. I run one blog on my illness fibromyalgia and am working on launching another food (baking based) How long has your blog been up! From the look and quality you seem like an old pro, do you have any tidbits you can give me on how to build an audience and really make blogging work for me.
    A Fellow Blogger,
    Calvin

December 8, 2012 at 2:08 pm

My blog will be 2 years old in January–sometimes it feels like I’ve been doing this much longer, other times I feel like I just started yesterday. πŸ™‚ The best advice I can give you is to learn how to use your camera (I even have a tutorial on my blog about how to take food pictures with a phone, so it doesn’t have to be an expensive camera!) and invest time in your photography. Because people can’t taste or smell the food we post on our blogs, the photos are so important. With good photos, you can submit your posts to gallery sites (which will send you traffic, helping to build your audience) and they’re more likely to do well on Pinterest (which will also help you build an audience). If you have any other questions, feel free to send me an email–I’m happy to help!

Bernadette @ Now Stir It Up
    December 7, 2012 at 1:58 am

I love making dishes that traditionally are made with meat in a vegetarian way. These look great and sound great!!

Jeanette
    December 7, 2012 at 8:49 am

I don’t think anyone would miss the meat in this cheesesteak sandwich – love the touch of red wine to make this even more flavorful.

December 7, 2012 at 9:07 am

Oh girl, you almost had me fooled! That LOOKS like steak–I bet it’s wonderful!

• 1 2 3 4