Entrees/ Recipes/ vegetarian recipes

Pizza Quinoa Stuffed Portabella Mushrooms

Pizza Quinoa Stuffed Portabella Mushrooms Recipe

Pizza Quinoa Stuffed Portabella Mushrooms

This Pizza Quinoa Stuffed Portabella Mushrooms recipe is perfect for Meatless Monday. Portabella mushrooms are stuffed with a pizza-flavored quinoa filling.

Website Problems

Were you trying to find something on my blog on Saturday and some strange, completely different site was on here instead? Yeah, that happened! I had a major (major) technical hiccup over the weekend. I had hired someone to move my portfolio from my old host to my current one and the portfolio was accidentally uploaded to this domain instead.

And after Oh My Veggies was restored, my recipes were down for a bit. I heard from at least one person who was about to make a recipe and then—POOF!—it had vanished. So I’m sorry if that happened to you. I also lost some comments, so if you left one and it’s not published, now you know why—it’s not because I’m a jerk who hates comments and people. Now that that’s out of the way, we can move onto even more important questions…

A Mushroom by Any Other Name

…is it weird that everyone else seems to say portobello mushroom and I say portabella? (According to Wikipedia, it is acceptable to call them portabella mushrooms. Acceptable but unpopular.) There are too many o’s in portobello and it just doesn’t roll off the tongue like portabella does. Also, I’m the boss of me; I do what I want. (Someday I’m going to get a tattoo that says that. If only all those words would fit on my knuckles.)

Pizza Quinoa Stuffed Portabella Mushrooms

About the Recipe

On topic! Pizza Quinoa Stuffed Portabella Mushrooms. The pictures don’t do these justice, but trust me, they are delicious. I’ve been enamored with Food Doodles’ Pizza Quinoa Casserole recipe for a while now. Usually I throw some veggies into it, but then I got the idea to stuff the pizza quinoa into veggies. I was going to do zucchini, but since I already posted Taco-Stuffed Zucchini this summer, I went with portabella mushrooms instead. Taco zucchini! Pizza mushrooms! What other crazy fast food types of things can I stuff into vegetables? (Falafel Eggplant might be delicious, but please stop me when I post Cinnabon-Stuffed Butternut Squash.)

Pizza Quinoa Stuffed Portabella Mushrooms

Pizza Quinoa Stuffed Portabella Mushrooms Recipe

Portabella mushrooms with a pizza-inspired quinoa filling. Adapted from Food Doodles’ Pizza Quinoa Casserole.

• Yield: 4 servings

• 4 extra-large portabella mushrooms, stems and gills removed
  • oil mister or olive oil cooking spray
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 3/4 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed thoroughly
  • 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 tbsp minced fresh basil
  • 1/2 tsp dried oregano
  • 1/2 tsp onion powder
  • pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
  • 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded

1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
  2. Spray both sides of mushrooms and place them bottom down on a rimmed baking sheet. Sprinkle the tops with salt and pepper. Bake for 10 minutes.
  3. While the mushrooms are baking, cook the quinoa according to package directions. Once it’s finished cooking, stir in the tomato sauce, garlic, basil, oregano, onion powder, and pepper flakes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
  4. After 10 minutes, remove the baking sheet from the oven and flip the mushrooms over. If they fill up with liquid (sometimes they do), drain it off or blot them dry with paper towels.
  5. Divide the quinoa mixture into the mushrooms, then top each one with cheese. Return the baking sheet to the oven and bake for 10 minutes more. You can serve the mushrooms after this or turn on the broiler and broil them until the cheese is browned—about 3–5 minutes (just keep an eye on them so they don’t burn!).

This post was originally published on 5 August 2013.

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen
    August 5, 2013 at 8:40 am

I’m with you, I say portabella too. there are definitely way too many Os the other way! Glad you got the tech stuff straightened out, it sounds like that was kind of nightmare-ish!

August 7, 2013 at 8:55 pm

High fives! I’m glad I’m not the only one bothered by all those O’s.

Alexis @ Hummusapien
    August 5, 2013 at 9:06 am

OMG…could these be any more perfect?? Obsessed! I love anything stuffed in a big juicy shroom, especially pizza!

Robyn Stone | Add a Pinch
    August 5, 2013 at 9:32 am

Yum!!! These stuffed mushrooms look amazing!!!

Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell
    August 5, 2013 at 9:35 am

Don’t be trying to get me to eat mushrooms by adding all this pizza business to them, but dang, those look good.

My daughter’s motto is ‘I do what I want’. You two would get along famously!

August 7, 2013 at 8:54 pm

Your daughter is awesome. 🙂

dixya| food, pleasure, and health
    August 5, 2013 at 9:36 am

pizza, quinoa and mushroom – how do you come up with delicious combo?

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl
    August 5, 2013 at 10:02 am

All that I have to say is…genius!! And YUM!! 🙂

Suzanne @ hello, veggy!
    August 5, 2013 at 10:12 am

How creative! And easily vegan iced with Daiya; I can’t wait to try them!

August 7, 2013 at 8:52 pm

Yes, they would totally work with Daiya!

Stephanie @ henry happened
    August 5, 2013 at 11:23 am

I want cinnabon stuff squash!! 🙂 So sorry about your host issues – I know that is a major headache, glad you had a backup. And I think all Twilight fans are with you on the “bella” pronuncation (tho I might prefer porta-edward, ha! sorry i’m so weird….)

August 7, 2013 at 8:52 pm

Ha! Yeah, maybe you should post a porta-edward recipe on your blog and see how that does. 🙂

ashley - Baker by Nature
    August 5, 2013 at 11:50 am

Did somebody say pizza?! mmmm! These look incredible, love!

August 5, 2013 at 12:02 pm

I’ve always struggled with portobella vs. portobello, too! People can never seem to make up their mind about that one :\
    Melted cheese…mmm. I need to go get some mozzarella because this looks sooo appetizing!

August 7, 2013 at 8:50 pm

I guess since both spellings are acceptable, you can’t go wrong…

Laura (Tutti Dolci)
    August 5, 2013 at 12:25 pm

I love stuffed portabellas, these look so tasty!

Alecia
    August 5, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Sorry to disagree, but I like the o’s. : / I won a blue ribbon at the San Diego County Fair a few years ago with a Portobello Melt sandwich. When I worked in the nutrition office for a Loma Linda Hospital my recipe was a featured lunch item and the manager posted it as, Alecia’s Blue Ribbon Bella”. Catchy as it was, it still bugged me, but I conceded that Bello just didn’t sound right. Oh well, to-may-to, to-mah-to… HAHA!

August 7, 2013 at 8:48 pm

Ha! See, and I think it would bug me equally if someone took this recipe and referred to it as Pizza Quinoa Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms. 🙂

August 5, 2013 at 2:03 pm

These quinoa stuffed mushrooms look spectacular! The macro click looks esp. tempting!

Alissa N
    August 5, 2013 at 2:05 pm

These look so good!! I totally thought I had invented pizza quinoa, its such an awesome combo, but Food Doodles did it first it seems!! This looks like an unbeatable dish, the kind that would make me realize that I really don’t need to branch out, I would be just fine eating this 3 times per day forever and ever. Also, I think Cinnabon-Stuffed Butternut Squash actually sounds awesome. I would eat that.

August 7, 2013 at 8:43 pm

I remember your post about it too! And yes, I think pizza quinoa 3 times a day would be perfectly healthy. With Cinnabon-Stuffed Butternut Squash for dessert.

Brianne @ Cupcakes & Kale Chips
    August 5, 2013 at 2:17 pm

Oh my goodness, I must have this in my life!!!!

Ash- foodfashionparty
    August 5, 2013 at 2:18 pm

Omg…did that really happen, I m glad it got sorted out..
    btw, this is such an awesome idea. Perfect.

Julia | JuliasAlbum.com
    August 5, 2013 at 2:25 pm

I love stuffed portobello mushrooms – stuffing them with quinoa and then melting cheese all over – YUM!

cassie
    August 5, 2013 at 3:17 pm

Kiersten, this looks fabulous! I eat so much quinoa and I love portabellas. This sounds so good!

Marta @ What Should I eat for breakfast today
    August 5, 2013 at 3:43 pm

I am glad that everything is fixed and I can use your recipes 🙂

Colleen @ Culinary Colleen
    August 5, 2013 at 3:50 pm

I’m pretty sure I interchange portabello and portabella and didn’t even realize it until now, haha. I love this idea! I could eat pizza every night of the week probably, so seeing healthy versions makes me very happy!

August 7, 2013 at 8:42 pm

Me too. I get insane pizza cravings, especially when I’m stressed. I think it’s the cheesiness. 🙂

Maria Tadic
    August 5, 2013 at 4:11 pm

Glad everything is working again! Isn’t that the worst feeling?! I’ve had some serious heart palpitations from blog mishaps!!

Can’t wait to try these. I love the way they look – exactly like pizza. Mmmmm yum!

August 7, 2013 at 8:41 pm

It is such a terrible feeling! Seriously, my site was down for an hour, but it felt like 20.

Alex Caspero MA,RD (@delishknowledge)
    August 5, 2013 at 4:40 pm

Um, I totally call them portabella and didn’t know it was wrong! Ha. Whoops, either way they are my favorite meaty alternative. love the idea of stuffing them! Yum!

August 7, 2013 at 8:40 pm

I never knew there was anything wrong with it either until I started blogging and it seemed like I was the only one saying portabella. And then I noticed that whenever I typed it out, the spellchecker highlighted it. But I’m standing firm and sticking with the A’s!

Twingle Mommy
    August 5, 2013 at 4:56 pm

I found out this weekend that my husband has never tried a portabello mushroom. Sometimes I worry about the boy. This looks really good and I’ll have to try it out soon. I wonder if pizza flavors could get my kids to over look the mushroom part? Doubtful!

August 7, 2013 at 8:39 pm

Whaaat?! You should totally make him try one! If he likes regular mushrooms, I think it would be pretty impossible to hate portabellas. As for the kids, I suspect that the mushrooms would be a dealbreaker. 🙂

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking
    August 5, 2013 at 6:05 pm

Oh man, this has gotta be the most mouthwatering I’ve ever seen a portabella look! I want to try this!

Caitlin
    August 5, 2013 at 8:33 pm

i say portabella, too! seriously, these look AMAZING. making these very very very soon!

August 7, 2013 at 8:36 pm

Woo hoo! Portabella just sounds better, doesn’t it?