These herb roasted potatoes are perfectly crispy and tasty. Covered with parmesan, garlic, and herbs, these potatoes make for the perfect savory side dish for any meal!
And they’re super simple to prepare. Just cut the potatoes and toss them in the spices and oil (so they get nice and crispy), and stick them in the oven!
These roasted potatoes can be eaten with any meal too—as a breakfast side, complementing a delicious sandwich, or accompanying a delicious salad. It’s so easy to just pop these in the oven while you’re preparing the main dish.
This roasted potatoes recipe is...
- easily made vegan
- ready in under an hour
- an easy vegetarian dinner side dish
How to Make Roasted Potatoes
- Preheat the oven.
- Pour olive oil into the bottom of a baking dish.
- Add the potatoes and toss so that they are coated in the oil.
- Sprinkle garlic powder, onion powder, rosemary, thyme, salt, and pepper over the potatoes.
- Top the potatoes with butter, and distribute it in dollops.
- Sprinkle half of the parmesan cheese over the potatoes.
- Bake the potatoes until they are tender and golden.
- Remove them from the oven and toss to combine.
- Sprinkle the roasted potatoes with the rest of the parmesan cheese and return it to the oven for a short time.
Scroll down for the full recipe with measurements and detailed instructions.
Vegan Roasted Potatoes
If you want to make these roasted potatoes vegan, just leave out the parmesan and use vegan butter (or just extra olive oil)!
Or, you can replace the cheese with vegan parmesan. You can buy this online or at some specialty markets.
Or, you can make your own. All you do to make a simple homemade vegan parmesan is to put ¾ cup of cashews, 3 tbsp nutritional yeast, ¼ tsp garlic powder, and ¾ tsp sea salt in a food processor. Pulse it all together until it’s a fine consistency.
Make it a Little Spicy
To give your roasted potatoes an extra kick, add some paprika and red chili flakes. You might also try adding some extra garlic and pepper.
Play with the Herbs
You can experiment with your own favorite combination f herbs. Or if you want to make things really simple and quick, without having to measure out all the herbs, try using a Greek seasoning or Italian seasoning blend.
FAQs About Roasted Potatoes
How do you make roast potatoes crispy?
Coat them with oil and make sure to spread them in a single layer on a baking sheet. Roast for 40 to 45 minutes. The potatoes are crispy when they are golden brown.
Should potatoes be soaked before roasting?
You don’t have to soak potatoes before roasting them. But, you definitely can! Especially for larger potatoes, you may want to partially boil them before roasting.
To do this, boil the potatoes until they are about ¾ of the way cooked. That will ensure they have enough liquid in them when they go into the oven so that they don’t get too stiff in the oven. Drain the potatoes, and then roast them for just 20 to 30 minutes at 425 degrees.
What is a good potato for roasting?
You can use red potatoes because the skin to potato ratio is perfect!
Or, you can try Yukon gold potatoes (like in this Crispy Potatoes Recipe). They will hold their shape and have a creamy, buttery inside. But they are also crispy on the outside with thin skin.
Just make sure to cut each of the potatoes into medium chunks before coating them and roasting them.
More Potato Recipes
If you love potatoes as much as I do, go check out these other delicious vegetarian potato recipes:
- Slow Cooker Rosemary Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Roasted Fingerling Potatoes with Chipotle Aioli
- Sweet Potatoes stuffed with Spicy Chickpeas and Tahini Sauce
- 1 Pound red potatoes halved
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tsp onion powder
- ½ Tsp dried rosemary
- ½ Tsp dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ⅓ Cup parmesan cheese optional
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Pour the olive oil in the bottom of a baking dish. Add the potatoes and toss to coat.
- Sprinkle the garlic powder, onion powder, rosemary, thyme and salt and pepper. Top with the butter, distributing it in dollops over top of the potatoes. Sprinkle half of the parmesan cheese over the potatoes.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender and golden.
- Remove from the oven and toss to combine. Sprinkle the roasted potatoes with the remaining parmesan cheese, and return to the oven for 5 minutes.
- I used baby red potatoes because the skin to potato ratio is just perfect! You can use regular baking potatoes and just cut them into medium sized chunks.
- You can also add a bit of smoked paprika and chili flakes to give them a spicy kick!
- Make this recipe vegan by omitting the parmesan cheese, and replacing the butter with vegan butter or extra olive oil.