This nut-free vegan creamy pasta with butter beans and mushrooms is made out of potatoes and carrots. It is also low fat, savoury and great for a comforting dinner or lunch that's ready in under 25 minutes. Gluten-free and oil-free.
Some recipes just speak for themselves. Pasta dishes, for example, don't need an introduction. I don't think I've ever met anyone who doesn't love pasta. And with winter weather still in full swing, much like all the comfort food cravings, I'm pretty sure that my body is 90% pasta at the moment.
We shall move onto our pasta-based discussion in just a moment, but before we do, I would like to quickly mention that I have an EBOOK coming out on 28 February. This will feature 60+ healthy vegan recipes that you can make in 30 minutes, including ideas for breakfast, lunch and dinner. For updates, reminders and sneak peeks, join my mailing list - and you will also receive a FREE 12-recipe ebook as a little thank you gift!
Nut-free vegan creamy pasta with butter beans
This recipe was love at first bite for sure. If you're a longer term reader of Earth of Maria, you know just how much I love my savoury comfort foods with plenty of umami and a healthy twist. This butter bean pasta recipe ticks all those boxes.
The sauce uses just a handful of uncomplicated ingredients that you probably have in your cupboard already. For extra texture, flavour and protein, I added some sliced portobello mushrooms and butter beans. If you make this, I recommend you make extra because chances are you'll want to eat it again the next day/immediately after.
Serve this nut-free vegan pasta as a comforting dinner with a side salad, or cook in batches to meal prep for a few days. It's just as delicious eaten cold!
Nut-free creamy pasta sauce
A lot of recipes I see online for creamy vegan pasta dishes use nuts. Nothing wrong with that, but making a nut-free sauce can have numerous advantages.
First of all, it's naturally lower in fat. This vegan pasta will leave you feeling full and satisfied without being overly heavy. Furthermore, it's a great option if you don't have a high speed blender, which you need to blend cashews properly.
The main ingredients of the pasta sauce are carrots and potatoes - but I promise you it doesn't taste like vegetables! In other words, a perfect option to feed vegetables to picky eaters.
The main ingredients for this creamy pasta recipe are:
- Potatoes. Use any white potato variety. I also tried this recipe with sweet potatoes and it works just as well!
- Carrots. These help enhance the flavour and bring in a little bit of sweetness.
- Gluten-free pasta. Penne and spaghetti are my personal favourites, but any pasta shape works.
- Tamari. If not avoiding gluten, use soy sauce, or coconut aminos for a soy-free version.
- Oat milk. Any unsweetened plant based milk also works.
- Tahini. A key ingredient, as it gives the sauce its creaminess.
- Lemon juice.
- Butter beans. You can add any bean variety if you want to switch it up.
How to make a creamy vegan nut-free pasta sauce
STEP 1: Cook the potatoes and the carrots for 12-15 minutes, until fully softened. Meanwhile, cook your pasta according to packaging instructions, which usually takes around 10-12 minutes, draining once its ready.
STEP 2: Add the onion and mushrooms to a non-stick frying pan with a splash of water and sauté for around 5 minutes, until softened. You can start doing this when the pasta and vegetables are almost cooked.
STEP 3: Drain and rinse the vegetables and transfer them to a blender or food processor together with the paprika, cumin, tamari, oat milk, tahini and lemon juice. Blend until fully smooth.
STEP 4: Add the butter beans to the frying pan followed by the sauce and stir for 1-2 minutes to heat it through. Then, add the cooked pasta and stir together for a further 2 or so minutes to combine before serving.
Tips and tricks
- STORAGE: You can store this pasta in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days, or in the freezer for up to a month.
- Add any other vegetables of your choice - this is a great recipe for using up any leftovers.
- Don't overcook the pasta - drain and rinse once al dente.
You will love this creamy pasta dish!
- Super flavourful and satisfying.
- Great for meal prep.
- Ready in under 25 minutes.
- A fantastic way to eat more vegetables.
- Low in fat.
- Easy to make.
- Creamy, savoury and rich.
Other delicious vegan pasta recipes
- Kidney bean one pot pasta
- Lentil bolognese
- Baked mac and cheese
- Creamy pumpkin pasta
- Vegetable and mushroom pasta
Let me know in the comments: what's your favourite pasta sauce? If you give this nut-free vegan creamy pasta with butter beans a go, be sure to tag me on Instagram (@ohmyveggies) so I can see your creations, and leave your feedback in the comments below!
- Sauce pan
- Frying pan
- 7 oz gluten-free pasta
- 1 medium red onion chopped
- 3 portobello mushrooms sliced
- 1 can butter beans drained and rinsed
- Cook the potatoes and the carrots for 12-15 minutes, until fully softened. Meanwhile, cook your pasta according to packaging instructions, which usually takes around 10-12 minutes, draining once its ready.
- Add the onion and mushrooms to a non-stick frying pan with a splash of water and sauté for around 5 minutes, until softened. You can start doing this when the pasta and vegetables are almost cooked.
- Drain and rinse the vegetables and transfer them to a blender or food processor together with the paprika, cumin, tamari, oat milk, tahini and lemon juice. Blend until fully smooth.
- Add the butter beans to the frying pan followed by the sauce and stir for 1-2 minutes to heat it through. Then, add the cooked pasta and stir together for a further 2 or so minutes to combine before serving.