This post may contain affiliate links. Learn more here.
dessert recipes/ Desserts/ Recipes/ Snacks/ Vegan/ vegan recipes/ vegetarian recipes

Mexican Chocolate Chia Seed Pudding

Mexican Chocolate Chia Seed Pudding Recipe

When you puree chia seed pudding, it becomes smooth and creamy just like traditional pudding. In this recipe for Mexican Chocolate Chia Seed Pudding, I also added cinnamon and cayenneβ€”because why not? It works for my breakfast shake, and it works really well in this pudding too. Bonus: you can totally have this chia seed pudding for breakfast. Breakfast pudding! We’ll live like kings!

Mexican Chocolate Chia Seed Pudding

Mexican Chocolate Chia Seed Pudding Recipe

A rich, creamy dairy-free pudding made with chia seeds.

• Yield: 2 servings 1x
Scale

• 1/3 cupΒ chia seeds
  • 1 cup unsweetened almond (or other non-dairy) milk
  • 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 tbsp maple syrup (I used Grade B)
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • pinch of cayenne (optional)

1. Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl.
  2. Cover and refrigerate overnight or at least 8 hours.
  3. Transfer mixture to a high-powered blender and blend until completely smooth. If pudding is warm from blending, return to refrigerator until chilled. (Alternately, you can just stir the pudding and eat it without blending.)

This pudding is thick, almost like a mousse. If you’ve blended your pudding and decide you want it a little thinner, add some extra milk. Be sure to blend the pudding until completely smoothβ€”if you don’t, it will be gritty! A high-powered blender like the Vitamix works best. Any sweetener you like will work in this, and if 1 tablespoon of maple syrup isn’t sweet enough, feel free to add more.

Did you make this recipe?

Share a photo and tag us β€” we can't wait to see what you've made!

May 16, 2013 at 5:54 am

I’ve never eaten chia seeds before – I must try to locate some as this pudding looks delicious. By the way, I think your photography is amazing. Really beautiful props and great lighting πŸ™‚

May 16, 2013 at 7:30 pm

Thank you! Definitely try chia seeds–they are good! And if you don’t like them, you can always throw them into smoothies and you won’t even know they’re there. πŸ™‚

Bernadette @ Now Stir It Up
    May 16, 2013 at 6:41 pm

I have spilt chia seeds on the counter before and know how INSANE it is trying to find them all. In fact some got under my stand mixer and made it stick to the counter. At least they are worth it!!! And this pudding… sounds awesome.

May 16, 2013 at 7:04 pm

Yeah, I have accidentally spilled them too and I still find them now and then, weeks later. πŸ™‚

Jenny
    May 18, 2013 at 7:02 pm

Is there a trick to puree-ing the pudding? I blended mine forever and it’s still not creamy

May 20, 2013 at 8:23 pm

I think mine took around 5 minutes in my Vitamix. And 5 minutes doesn’t sound like a long time, but it sure feels like it when you’re standing there waiting for it to blend. If you don’t have a high powered blender, it may take even longer.

Rachael
        July 13, 2013 at 10:42 pm

Yes Kiersten – I am encountering the same problem & i have a Thermomix which is one of the best possible grinding machines available! I’m way beyond 5 minutes now… I’m starting to feel pretty annoyed that i have wasted quality & expensive ingredient on a recipe i am now dubious ever worked – even for you!!

July 14, 2013 at 9:18 am

Why would I post a recipe that didn’t work for me? That’s ridiculous. If you look at the photos, you can see that the pudding is smooth.

• Rachael
            July 14, 2013 at 6:54 pm

Ok perhaps i should rephrase my comment to: I am dubious that our ideas of “smooth” are the same”? Mine also LOOKS deliciously smooth and creamy, as do your pictures ~ but there is a very distinct grainy or sightly gritty texture that i can definitely detect. PLus i found the taste off putting ~ as did my whole family…. unlike other wonderful chia puddings i have made for us in the past. But meh, that’s just personal preferences isn’t it!

• Kiersten
            July 17, 2013 at 7:02 pm

We like this pudding, other people like this pudding, so yes, sometimes it just comes down to personal preference.

Caitlin
    May 24, 2013 at 1:39 pm

Kiersten,

How many servings would you say this makes? Just threw it together and while I don’t have a high-powered blender, I’m wondering if my immersion or my cheapo blender would be best to puree the pudding. I may try both.

Caitlin
      May 24, 2013 at 1:43 pm

Ha. Just viewed another recipe and saw the serving size listed on the top- please disregard the stupid question πŸ™‚

May 26, 2013 at 8:30 pm

No problem! πŸ™‚ As for the second question, I’d say it depends on the quality of your immersion blender. I’ve gone through a lot of them and some are definitely better than others!

Courtney @ The Fig Tree
    May 24, 2013 at 11:12 pm

Still have yet to try a chia seed pudding. But this looks fantastic and I’ll definitely make it ASAP. Looks so chocolately and creamy!

May 26, 2013 at 8:18 pm

You should try it! It’s good stuff. πŸ™‚

Allan
    May 26, 2013 at 11:58 am

Can you blend before the initial refrigeration and thickening? It seems like that would blend easier?

May 26, 2013 at 8:08 pm

I haven’t found this to be difficult to blend, but sure, you can blend it before refrigerating instead.

Monique
    May 31, 2013 at 2:18 am

Such a great prop tip! Post-its…our under-stated heroes.

Julia
    June 1, 2013 at 2:29 pm

Would light coconut milk work well in this recipe? Not make it runnier or taste different?

June 4, 2013 at 2:56 pm

It might be a little less rich and maybe a little less thick, but it should work fine…

Sandy
    June 10, 2013 at 2:53 pm

I must try your Chia pudding. I use em in my yogurt and smoothies. In fact, I may just utilize my chocolate almond milk.

On Thanksgiving day, I have a long fold out table that I set up. Then I get all my serving dishes and bowls and put them on the table. Next I write the name of the dish on a post it and place it in the serving dish. Saves a lot of time and headache on such a hectic day.

June 11, 2013 at 7:48 am

That is a great idea! πŸ™‚

Kannon
    June 11, 2013 at 9:42 am

I tried to blend this and it did not thicken πŸ™ I guess I will have to try again! Also my chia seeds look different from those pictures. Are there different types?

June 13, 2013 at 7:51 am

Did you soak the chia seeds long enough? The mixture should be thick before it even goes in the blender. There are white and black chia seeds, but I’ve used them both to make pudding.

Sandy
    June 11, 2013 at 5:27 pm

Why thank you, Kiersten.

Ate some Chia seed pudding for the first time today. I was amazed how it tasted. I used half unsweetened Almond milk and chocolate Almond milk along with Maple syrup, and a lil Cinnamon. Boy, you were right. . . I had to blend for quite some time to get that creamy consistency.

My almost 4 yr old GRANDdauger was Ho-hum about it. But my almost 2 year old GRANDdaughter scarfed it up. What a great way to get Chia into your diet. So BIG thanks for posting!!

June 13, 2013 at 7:35 am

I’m glad you (and at least one of your granddaughters!) enjoyed it! πŸ™‚

Sandy
    June 14, 2013 at 12:41 am

Say, is it this recipe where someone wrote in about certain brands of Almond milk are unhealthy? I went back and read the entire blog and cannot find the comments. But I do remember that y’all said we need to be buying Blue Diamond Almond Milks.

If not, can you educate me on this? And when one buys raw Almonds do we need to be buying a certain brand here too?

Thanks a bunch!!

Sunshine Girl~

June 14, 2013 at 6:34 pm

Hm, it must not have been my blog, but I did write a post about making your own cashew milk where I mentioned carrageenan, an additive used to thicken some nut, soy, and coconut milks:

There are different opinions about it, but some say that it can cause inflammation. Because of that, I try to avoid any non-dairy milks made with it.

Astaire Roorda
    June 14, 2013 at 4:39 pm

I can’t wait to try your recipe! I’m on a mission to create a vegan version of my husband’s favorite French silk pie (loaded with dairy!). So cool that you can create this fluffy texture by blending the pudding after soaking! I’ve made the soaked version of pudding, but never tried whipping afterwards-awesome!

June 14, 2013 at 6:07 pm

Ooh, if you make a pie with it, let me know how it turns out. I wonder if maybe a cashew/chia seed combo would work well?

Astaire Roorda
        June 14, 2013 at 6:19 pm

You read my mind! πŸ˜‰ I’ll be sure to let you know how it turns out!

Astaire Roorda
    June 14, 2013 at 4:46 pm

Also, couldn’t help noticing Sandy’s comment above. . . I buy raw, organic Spanish almonds which are unpasteurized. All almonds processed in the US must be pasteurized by law (including organic), but imported raw, organic Spanish almonds aren’t pasteurized in any way. I make my own almond milk and notice a big difference in the quality of the Spanish almonds vs. US organic almonds, so I highly recommend them. The only source for these that I’m aware of is Azure Standard. http://chicorganicmama.com/2013/05/20/how-to-make-almond-milk-and-some-fun-facts-about-almonds/

Katie
    June 17, 2013 at 11:54 am

What is the pudding like without blending? Does it have more of a tapioca texture? I don’t think my Ninja would get it smooth, and I would hate to have a half-blended pudding!

June 18, 2013 at 9:17 pm

Yup, without pureeing it, it’s kind of like tapioca or rice pudding. I like it a lot, actually, but a lot of people are put off by that texture!

Nancy Smith
    June 18, 2013 at 11:09 pm

I used softened dates to sweeten…..absolutely fabulous! I am making this for the third time in two weeks! Hubby thinks it is to die for!!!

June 21, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Love the idea of using dates in this–thanks for the suggestion! πŸ™‚

Valerie
    June 22, 2013 at 9:24 am

I used agave nectar instead of maple syrup, but I definitely think that was a mistake! It wasn’t enough of a sweetener. Definitely will use maple syrup next time – good call! Haha.

June 24, 2013 at 9:32 pm

Well, you can always add a little extra if you need to!

Seema
    June 27, 2013 at 4:53 pm

I have some high quality mexican chocolate, I am wondering, could I just melt that down and add it instead of cocoa powder?

June 28, 2013 at 4:27 pm

I haven’t tried it myself so I can’t say for sure, but I can’t see why that wouldn’t work out…

peaceloveandsmoothies
    June 27, 2013 at 5:21 pm

I am also the person at the movies saying, “that could never happen! That’s so unrealistic!” I guess there has to be one. That pudding looks great, and the photos are staged nicely too.

June 28, 2013 at 4:26 pm

I’m glad there are other people like me out there! πŸ™‚

Zulay
    July 7, 2013 at 10:16 am

H! Kiersten,
    I love your recipes and pictures, could you please tell me what camera and lens do you use to take the pictures? they look so great!
    Greetings
    thank you!

July 13, 2013 at 5:04 pm

Thanks! I use a Mark III camera and for these photos, I used a 50mm f/1.4 lens and a 90mm Tamron macro lens.

Dianne
    July 18, 2013 at 4:47 pm

I made this today. I used unsweetened chocolate almond milk and some thick canned coconut milk. And, since I didn’t have unsweetened cocoa, I used a single serving packet of unsweetened Swiss Miss.
    It hasn’t been 8 hours, yet but I sneaked a taste and its fabulous! Thanks for the recipe!

July 21, 2013 at 8:09 pm

Thanks for your comment–I love making chia pudding with coconut milk! πŸ™‚

Heather
    August 8, 2013 at 10:14 am

Here is hopefully a helpful hint, I tried this in my magic bullet and it was very difficult because the pudding always got stuck at the top! So I guess the more powerful blender/different style is necessary.
    Also I wish I had read the comments before making, adding date sounds delicious!! And far healthier than the dulce de leche I used! πŸ˜‰

August 11, 2013 at 7:59 pm

Yeah, you really do need a high speed blender for this–the Magic Bullet is good for a lot of things, but it won’t whip up this pudding like a Vitamix does. But the good news is that you can still eat it without blending it. πŸ™‚

Jordan
    August 17, 2013 at 10:13 am

I am wondering if it would be prudent, in order to save time blending, if I processed the chia seeds first in my coffee mill to make a fine, powdery flour before incorporating it into the recipe.

August 18, 2013 at 7:54 pm

I haven’t made it like that before, but you could definitely try it.

May May
    August 25, 2013 at 7:06 pm

Would the pre-ground/milled chia seeds work in this recipe? I tried another chia pudding recipe but I did not soak the milled chia seeds first. It tasted ok but it was a bit too liquidy. I was wondering if your version, in which you soak first, could work for the milled chia seeds.

August 26, 2013 at 8:14 pm

I haven’t tried it, so I can’t say for sure. The longer you let the chia seeds sit, the thicker the pudding will be! πŸ™‚

Jadiida
    September 3, 2013 at 10:59 am

I made this last night using rice milk and added 2T of maple syrup because my husband’s not a fan of dark chocolate tasting things πŸ™‚ I don’t have a fancy powerful blender so I just used my regular old blender which does a great job of making smoothies. I had to add a bit less than 1/4 cup more milk because when you blend the chia seeds (the first time I’ve ever used them) things get really sticky and slimy and my blender wouldn’t move it around. BUT with the addition of the milk things got moving and after 5 minutes it was great!! Next time I’ll try pre grinding the seeds! Thanks!!

September 5, 2013 at 9:29 pm

A few people have commented about trying to pre-grind the seeds. If it works for you, let me know! πŸ™‚

1 2 3 4