This post may contain affiliate links. Learn more here.
Desserts/ Snacks/ Tips & Hints/ Vegan Recipes/ Vegetarian Recipes

How to Make Fruit Leather

Strawberry Banana Fruit Leather
Strawberry Banana Fruit Leather

I’ve posted fruit leather recipes before, but if I haven’t convinced you yet, let me try again – Making your own fruit leather is super easy. Super easy.

And when you make it yourself, you’re making it without food coloring, without sugar, and without artificial flavors. Just fruit, nothing else. This is a great fun and tasty summertime activity for kids too.

So are you convinced? Yes? Well, let’s make some homemade Strawberry Banana Fruit Leather!

Strawberries for Fruit Leather

How to Make Fruit Leather

Start with high quality strawberries. Not those crunchy apple-sized ones that taste like a whole lotta nothing. You’ll need about 2 cups of strawberries and 1 large banana.

Strawberries and Banana in Food Processor

Preheat your oven to 175ºF.

Cut the tops off the strawberries (be sure to wash them first!) and cut the banana into large chunks. Throw them in a blender or food processor and process until smooth.

Taste the mixture to see if any sweetener is needed. If the fruit was ripe, you shouldn’t have to add anything. But if the berries were a little tart, stir in honey or agave nectar to taste.

Pouring Strawberry Banana Puree onto Baking Sheet

Spreading Strawberry Banana Puree with Spatula

Cutting Strawberry Banana Fruit Leather

Note that my fruit leather is thinner than many other recipes, which is why it takes less time. I like it this way!

Animated Strawberry Banana Fruit Leather

We usually eat ours within a day or two, but according to the National Center for Home Food Preservation, it will last up to 1 month when wrapped in plastic and stored at room temperature or 1 year in the freezer.

Now wasn’t that easy? I told you it was!

Strawberry Banana Fruit Leather

Strawberry Banana Fruit Leather

If you've ever wanted to make your own fruit leather, don't miss this easy homemade recipe. This tasty Strawberry Banana fruit leather is made with just two ingredients – strawberries and bananas. And it tastes amazing!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours 45 minutes
Course: Dessert, Snack
Cuisine: American
Diet: Gluten Free, Vegan, Vegetarian
Keyword: fruit leather recipe, how to make fruit leather, strawberry banana fruit leather
Servings: 6 servings
Calories: 33kcal

• 2 cups strawberries cleaned
  • 1 banana
  • agave syrup or honey optional for sweetening

• Preheat your oven to 175ºF.
  • Cut the tops off the strawberries and cut the banana into large chunks. Throw them in a blender or food processor and process until smooth.
  • Taste the mixture to see if any sweetener is needed. If the berries were a little tart, stir in honey or agave nectar to taste.
  • Note: You can put the mixture through a fine mesh sieve if you want to remove the seeds, but it’s really not necessary.
  • Pour the fruit mixture onto a rimmed baking sheet that’s been coated in cooking spray.
  • Use a spatula to spread the strawberry banana puree so it covers the baking sheet evenly. This might take a little time, but it’s an important step! Place baking sheet on the center rack of the oven.
  • Because fruit varies in water content and ovens vary in how they cook, I can’t tell you exactly how long the fruit leather will need to bake. This particular batch took 2 1/2 hours, which seems to be about the norm for my oven.
  • You want the leather to be pliable, but not wet; you should be able to touch the fruit leather without leaving an indentation.
  • You may notice the edges of the fruit leather are done before the center, particularly if the puree wasn’t spread evenly on the baking sheet before going into the oven. That’s okay! Just cut the edges off and return the fruit leather to the oven until the rest of it is done.
  • Once the fruit leather is done baking, cut it into strips or shapes using a pizza cutter, knife, or kitchen shears and when it’s cooled completely, wrap or roll in plastic wrap or wax paper.

Nutrition

Calories: 33kcalCarbohydrates: 8gProtein: 1gFat: 1gSaturated Fat: 1gSodium: 1mgPotassium: 144mgFiber: 1gSugar: 5gVitamin A: 18IUVitamin C: 30mgCalcium: 9mgIron: 1mg
Craving more veg-friendly recipes? Shop our collection of vegetarian and vegan cookbooks!

Stefani
    May 30, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Thanks for sharing this recipe. I want to make these.

Brenda Williams
    June 1, 2012 at 12:47 am

Love this post. The animated fruit leather certainly got my attention.

June 1, 2012 at 7:18 pm

Yeah, I was pretty proud of myself for making that animated GIF! 🙂

Rachel
    June 1, 2012 at 12:25 pm

I’ve tried this before in my dehydrator and it never did work out. I will definitely give this a try in the oven!

June 1, 2012 at 7:05 pm

People keep saying that! It makes me glad I never got around to buying a dehydrator…

Peggy
    June 1, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Who knew this was so easy?! Love it and I can’t wait to try it!

June 1, 2012 at 7:04 pm

Yup, much easier than people think it will be! 🙂

Henrietta
    June 1, 2012 at 2:50 pm

Oh my gosh! This brings back such memories! When I was little my Gramma N. used to make all kinds of homemade fruit leather, she would make big batches of it in her dehydrator and then freeze them in waxed paper. When we wee good, she would let us pick out one. Waiting for it to thaw was torture and we would usually end up gnawing away on it! lol! My favorite was always blackberry! I am definitely going to have to give your recipe a try someday!

June 1, 2012 at 7:02 pm

I’m attempting to grow blackberries this year, so I’m going to have to try blackberry fruit leather if I get enough of them! We always eat it before we can freeze it, but one of these days I’m going to make a few batches at a time so I have some to save. 🙂

Cat Davis - Food Family Finds
    June 1, 2012 at 3:15 pm

I have always wanted to try making this. I love those Stretch Island Fruit leather strips, do these taste similar?

June 1, 2012 at 7:00 pm

It’s a little less sweet than those Stretch Island Ones, but the texture is similar.

BusyWorkingMama
    June 2, 2012 at 8:01 am

YUM! I bet Lily would love this! Looks so easy, too!

June 3, 2012 at 6:55 pm

Yup, it’s very easy and without the added sugar, food coloring, etc, it’s so healthy too!

June 3, 2012 at 2:05 am

This is so cool! Love the first photo and seeing how thin it is. And I always thought fruit leather must have gelatin or agar or something like it… amazed it’s pure fruit!

June 3, 2012 at 6:44 pm

Nope! There are recipes that add other things to it (and those recipes are usually a lot sweeter too), but you can definitely do it with just fruit alone. 🙂

Katie
    June 3, 2012 at 6:13 pm

I never realized how easy it was to make!

Paige
    June 6, 2012 at 12:20 pm

So excited to make this! And to not have to buy it anymore. 🙂

June 6, 2012 at 7:31 pm

It’s a little less sweet than the kind you buy because I don’t add as much (or any!) sugar, but it’s just as chewy and fun! 🙂

meatballs & milkshakes
    June 6, 2012 at 4:38 pm

I love this idea and plan to try it out soon!

ATasteOfMadness
    June 17, 2012 at 8:43 pm

What!!! This is the greatest thing I have seen all day! Yay! I’m so happy, this is awesome!

Ashahmal
    June 18, 2012 at 8:44 pm

approximately what temp should we be baking this at?

June 18, 2012 at 8:53 pm

175 degrees. It’s in the post. 🙂

Ashahmal
        June 18, 2012 at 10:18 pm

thanks…i figured it was but after looking 5 or 6 times, i just couldnt find it…long day with the kids I guess

northierthanthou
    June 19, 2012 at 2:17 am

Hm, I wonder if this will be tastier than the store bought stuff. I don’t like that anymore, but maybe this would do the trick.

June 19, 2012 at 6:27 pm

Well, it depends on the brand, but in general, the store bought kind is going to be much sweeter than this version because they add a lot more sugar. Most of the sweetness in this recipe is from the fruit and there’s a little bit of tartness too from the strawberries. So if you don’t like the store bought kind because it’s too sweet, you might like this one!

Alicia
    June 19, 2012 at 11:48 pm

I’ve never even heard of fruit leather – this looks absolutely delicious. I can’t wait to try it!!

June 20, 2012 at 8:35 am

Well, it’s kind of the same thing as a fruit roll-up, only it’s made with real fruit. 🙂 I hope you like it if you try it!

Kaitlin
    July 1, 2012 at 7:14 pm

I’ve always been totally obsessed with fruit leather and have contemplated making my own but never have. You make it look so easy and delicious, I’m convinced to give it a try now. Thank you!!! 🙂

July 1, 2012 at 9:25 pm

It really is so easy! Well, you can make it by cooking the fruit first which makes it a little more complicated, but if you use uncooked fruit puree it’s easy. 🙂

Amanda
    July 10, 2012 at 4:46 pm

Fruit leather i s something I have always wanted to try making myself (I do a lot of hiking/camping/backpacking and this would be a perfect snack). My partner and I go berry picking often and come home with large quantities (our last strawberry pick we had over 100lbs) so a lot of them get frozen before they turn.
    I am sure fresh fruit would be best but wondering if it is possible to use the berries we froze to try this?

July 10, 2012 at 9:09 pm

You picked 100 pounds of berries?! WOW! I am jealous. 🙂 If you’re using frozen berries, you might want to use fewer strawberries and more banana puree. And if you don’t want to do that, I think it might just require a little bit longer in the oven. Frozen strawberries tend to be a little more watery than the fresh ones…

Amanda
        July 11, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Best strawberry crop in decades here in BC – in a couple weeks we are going back for blueberries 😉

July 11, 2012 at 8:11 pm

Ah, that reminds me, I need to find out when we can go blueberry picking here in North Carolina. 🙂

Kalith
    July 27, 2012 at 1:01 am

175 degrees.. is that F or C?

no one ever specifies which one they mean. It drives me nuts @[email protected];;

July 27, 2012 at 10:03 am

It’s fahrenheit. I’m in the US and 92% of my readers are in the US (with most of the rest being in Canada!), so I use US measurements and temperatures. 🙂

Kalith
        July 28, 2012 at 6:25 am

Thankies! I hope I didn’t sound rude. I’d been to 7 other websites trying to make things and absolutely no one specified >.<; I was a little frustrated lol.

July 28, 2012 at 6:59 pm

Don’t worry about it–I understand!

Sasiwan
    August 3, 2012 at 8:17 am

In Thailand we use fruits puree stir on the stove until quite thick then spade on a tray and we let it dry in the sun or you can bake them.(sorry for my English)

August 3, 2012 at 4:06 pm

We make fruit leather by cooking the fruit puree on the stove first in the US too. Some fruits, like apples, really do need to be cooked like that first, but some work without being cooked. I love the idea of baking it in the sun–it’s definitely been hot enough here lately to do that!

Alyssa
    August 3, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Thanks for the recipe! I haven’t made my own fruit leather before because all the recipes I’ve come across call for a thousand pounds of fruit and take an entire day to dry. This one calls for a reasonable amount of fruit and I won’t have to have the oven on heating up the house for a whole day. I’m excited to try it!

August 3, 2012 at 4:02 pm

Oh yes, so many fruit leather recipes are all day affairs! Those fruit leathers tend to be a bit gummier in texture and a LOT sweeter (because they have tons of sugar in them!), while making fruit leather with an uncooked puree & no sugar results in a fruit leather that’s chewier and a little less sweet. I hope you like it if you make it! 🙂

Alyssa
        August 4, 2012 at 2:42 pm

I was so excited to make this that I tried it yesterday even though I only had frozen strawberries and some kiwi’s. I used 2 cups of thawed berries, 2 kiwi’s and a tbsp of honey. It still only took about 4 hours and turned out awesome! I thought it was perfectly sweet and had a good texture. I will definitely be making it again.

August 6, 2012 at 6:23 pm

I’ve never tried kiwi in fruit leather–I’m going to have to experiment with that next time! Strawberry and kiwi is always such a good combination. Thanks for sharing! 🙂

Jessica
    August 3, 2012 at 6:13 pm

This looks great! Do you know if it’d be possible to just do the banana? Or maybe just more banana than strawberries? Also, have you done it with any other fruits? I’d be interested to know what else is yummy 🙂

August 4, 2012 at 11:57 am

Well, it just so happens that I have a banana fruit leather recipe too! 😀 And with bananas, they’re so sweet to begin with that you don’t even need to add any additional sweetener. Here’s the recipe: How to Make Banana Fruit Leather. I’ve also done raspberry peach and mango. Basically, any fruit that purees nicely without getting too thin will work. Something like apples or pears won’t work; they need to be cooked first, then pureed.

Chloe
    August 11, 2012 at 11:21 am

Hey just tried to make a batch, and it looked good for a while….but then i forgot about it and it got burned. 🙁 so i tried to scrape it off the pan and that did not work. any advise as to how to get it off the pan easiest?

August 11, 2012 at 6:13 pm

Oh no! My tried-and-true method for getting baked-on things off of rimmed baking sheets is to fill the sheet with hot hot water and let it sit. Sometimes you’ll even have to let it sit overnight. But eventually it will soften and you’ll be able to scrub it off with the scrubby side of a sponge.

Good luck! And I’m sorry you didn’t get to eat any of the fruit leather! 🙁

Cat Davis - Food Family Finds
    September 14, 2012 at 6:06 pm

Trying to keep my mind and body occupied today … I’ve got this recipe in my oven right now and it smells delicious.

September 15, 2012 at 6:07 pm

Big hugs–I hope you’re doing okay. If there’s anything I can do, let me know…

christina
    October 3, 2012 at 7:39 pm

hello! can you use frozen fruit (thawed) to make this recipe? or would it be too wet?

October 5, 2012 at 5:05 pm

I had someone tell me she used frozen & thawed strawberries and it worked for her. I think you may have to bake the fruit leather a little bit longer, though.

Kim Thirion
    January 27, 2013 at 11:24 pm

Oh my! This looks so good!

I just tried fruit leather for the first time today, and I swear I’m officially hooked. So I came searching for recipes and that’s how I found you. I’m definitely going to try this (and I’m definitely going to be coming back to this site!).

January 28, 2013 at 8:54 am

It’s addicting, right? And you can do it with so many different kinds of fruits! My favorite lately is to puree a whole pineapple core & bake that. Sometimes it turns out more crispy than leathery (which is why I can’t posted the recipe here), but it’s really tasty. 🙂

1 2 3