This post may contain affiliate links. Learn more here.
Drinks/ Sauces & Condiments/ Vegan Recipes/ Vegetarian Recipes

Recipe | Peach Thyme Syrup for Sodas, Iced Tea & Lemonade

Peach Thyme Syrup Recipe

Peach Thyme Syrup, iced tea
There was a time, many years ago, when I only drank soda. Once in a while, when I was feeling like I wanted to be healthy, I’d drink juice too. But not juice juice–the kind of juice that’s pink and refrigerated and has all sorts of flavors and colors in it, but actual fruit is about tenth on the list of ingredients. I didn’t like the taste of water, so I didn’t drink it. Ever.

Then I realized the ridiculous amount of empty calories in soda and I cut myself off cold turkey. No more! For several years, I stuck to this but now I drink it again once in a great while. You know how every so often, you just crave a brownie or a chocolate bar? That’s how I feel about soda now. It’s a treat! Not an everyday thing. I try to buy brands made with natural ingredients, but my favorite soda is homemade soda.

Peach Slice
We have a SodaStream, which I love, but I’m not a big fan of the syrups, which are made with artificial sweeteners and taste off to me. So we use the SodaStream to carbonate water and I make my own syrups. Which sounds really intense, I know! And if you’re rolling your eyes right now, I don’t blame you! But making your own syrups is easy. It’s just a matter of combining fruits, herbs, and spices with the right amount of sugar.

Peach Thyme Syrup Ingredients
It’s impossible to walk two feet at the farmers market and not bump into pints and pints of peaches right now. The farmers market peaches aren’t as plump and perfect as the ones you buy at the store, but they always seem to be sweeter and at the peak of ripeness. I love adding an herbal note to syrups, so I added several sprigs of thyme too. You combine the peaches, sugar, and thyme and let them cook down until the peaches are soft and the liquid is thick, then you strain the mixture and hello Peach Thyme Syrup!

Peach Thyme Syrup IngredientsPeach Thyme Soda
I like Italian sodas because they’re not overly sweet, so I usually pour a little syrup at the bottom of a glass and then pour sparkling water on top. But this syrup can also be used to sweeten iced tea or lemonade instead of sugar! The recipe only makes about a cup of syrup, so if you’re making a big batch of tea or lemonade (or if you like your drinks extra sweet), you might want to double the recipe.

Peach Thyme Syrup Recipe

Peach Thyme Syrup

A sweet, herbal syrup made with fresh summer peaches. It's perfect for adding to sparkling water, lemonade, or iced tea!
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes

• 3 large peaches pitted and diced (mine were about 20 ounces before dicing)
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • A few sprigs of thyme

• Combine all the ingredients in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cook for 30 minutes. Every few minutes, stir the pot with a wooden spoon and use it to smash the peaches a little bit. Strain the syrup into a bowl using a fine mesh sieve and discard the solids. Transfer the syrup to a bottle or jar and refrigerate for up to a week.
Craving more veg-friendly recipes? Shop our collection of vegetarian and vegan cookbooks!

marissa @ the boot
    July 25, 2013 at 9:33 am

wow, this is such a great idea! i love adding a little flavor to my water and seltzer and this would be so delicious! the herb/fruit combo is the best but i’ve never tried peach and thyme!

July 28, 2013 at 8:27 pm

Peaches and thyme are SO good together. Sometimes I grill peaches for dessert, drizzle them with a little honey, and sprinkle them with chopped fresh lemon thyme.

Christine @ Gotta Eat Green
    July 25, 2013 at 9:36 am

Your pictures are beautiful! I love the light in all of them. And this syrup – amazing!!!

July 28, 2013 at 8:26 pm

Thank you! I don’t do fruit very often on my blog, so I was excited to have something different to photograph. 😉

Alissa N
    July 25, 2013 at 9:56 am

I love this idea!! Peaches and thyme sound like they would be an amazing combo. And you are right about getting smacked in the face by peaches at the farmers markets. Here it is like they will almost pay you to take peaches because they have so many of them!! 🙂

July 28, 2013 at 8:25 pm

It’s true! All the vendors here try to get you to eat samples too–they practically shove them into your hands.

Caitlin
    July 25, 2013 at 10:05 am

what a great idea! i used to drink diet soda all the time until i had a horrible reaction to it and had to go to the hospital. after that, no (diet) soda for me! but, i do LOVE carbonated water. whenever i’m somewhere fancy with a bar, i ask for club soda with a wedge of lemon. i’ve always wanted a fancy soda machine just to make my own sparking water. i love that you make your own syrups. peach and thyme flavored soda sounds delicious!

July 28, 2013 at 8:23 pm

REALLY?! Holy crap, that is scary. I love sparkling water with lemon or lime too. I think it’s the fizziness that I really like about soda, more than the sweetness, so most of the time a little bit of sparkling water is enough for me. But sometimes I really want soda. 😉

July 25, 2013 at 12:34 pm

It’s stone fruit season! Though not a soda drinker…but I love the peach thyme syrup. Would be great to serve with some breakfast pancakes.

Robyn Stone | Add a Pinch
    July 25, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Can’t wait to try this! Peaches are everywhere right now and so juicy and delicious!!!

Daniela @ FoodrecipesHQ
    July 25, 2013 at 12:53 pm

Sodas are just a concentrate of modified sugars. Thumbs up for homemade juices and syrups! Gotta try this recipe of yours.

July 25, 2013 at 2:05 pm

Mmm, this looks awesome! I bet it’d be good in the lemon shake up’s we’re making all the time right now.

July 28, 2013 at 8:21 pm

Ooh, yes, it would be! Or any kind of fruit syrup, really.

Laura (Tutti Dolci)
    July 25, 2013 at 3:04 pm

I love peaches and this syrup is just gorgeous!

Maria Tadic
    July 25, 2013 at 4:03 pm

I think homemade syrups and drinks are SO worth the effort. You know everything that goes in them and they always taste so much better. And where could you find a peach/thyme soda?! Nowhere! Can’t wait to try this combo!

July 28, 2013 at 8:20 pm

Exactly! If you want crazy flavors, you have to DIY it. 🙂

July 25, 2013 at 4:16 pm

I haven’t had a good Italian Soda in years! What a great idea to use fresh peaches 🙂

Anna (Hidden Ponies)
    July 25, 2013 at 5:30 pm

This is beautiful, and must taste amazing! I need to go on a peach hunt asap…
    I used to drink Italian Sodas like they were going out of style when I worked in coffee shops!

July 28, 2013 at 8:19 pm

I don’t drink coffee, so I always order Italian sodas at coffee shops. 🙂

JulieD
    July 25, 2013 at 7:10 pm

🙂 this makes me smile so much! I’m so excited for peaches right now!

Suzanne @ hello, veggy!!
    July 25, 2013 at 9:32 pm

I adore peaches! Is the syrup thick enough to pour atop pancakes/waffles??

July 28, 2013 at 8:16 pm

It’s a little bit thinner than a pancake syrup, but to remedy that you could either boil it down a little bit longer OR puree some of the solids with the syrup–that would make it more of a sauce than a syrup, but it will still be delicious. 🙂

mjskit
    July 25, 2013 at 9:58 pm

We both definitely have fruit sodas on our minds right now. 🙂 I’ve never made a peach syrup, which is surprising since I LOVE peaches! I happen to have about 12 peaches on the counter so this looks like a perfect idea for 3 of them. Love the addition of the thyme. GREAT syrup for a soda!!!!

July 28, 2013 at 8:16 pm

Ooh, perfect! I hope you like it if you make it! 😀

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen
    July 25, 2013 at 10:17 pm

I must make this for my peach loving kid. I’ve been buying Minute Maid Peach “juice” for him to add to his tea. I never even thought of making homemade. So smart!

July 28, 2013 at 8:15 pm

I didn’t even know Minute Maid had a peach juice?! That’s one flavor of juice you rarely see in stores…

Honey What's Cooking
    July 25, 2013 at 10:46 pm

sucha cool idea.. i love this. love peaches!

Richa
    July 26, 2013 at 12:14 am

i love this idea.. i am going to add this to plain chilled water! those flavors!

Andrea
    July 26, 2013 at 11:46 pm

This peach syrup sound like a winner!
    Once you strain the syrup, what do you do with the pulp?
    Can a pie or cake be made with the fruit pulp?

July 28, 2013 at 7:45 pm

You definitely could! Just remove the sprigs of thyme first.

Stephanie Person
    July 27, 2013 at 10:27 am

This looks fabulous! What a yummy summer drink XOXO

Paula - bell'alimento
    July 27, 2013 at 10:47 am

This is summer perfection! You had me at peaches. And then thyme ; )

Marta @ What Should I eat for breakfast today
    July 27, 2013 at 5:00 pm

It’s hard to concentrate on a recipe while you keep uploding such an amazing pictures.

July 28, 2013 at 7:38 pm

That means a lot coming from you–I am always in awe of your photography! 🙂

Eat Good 4 Life
    July 28, 2013 at 5:34 am

What a great idea, I have never thought of adding thyme to them. It sounds mighty unique 🙂 and I bet delish!!

skoraq cooks
    July 28, 2013 at 11:19 am

Great idea. I’m soooo making such peach and thyme syrup at home. I’m bored with regular water and not that much into store-bought sodas so this is a perfect summer treat for me. And by the way, I have to tell you that, although you most probably know it well – you have really awesome blog. Great and easy vegetarian recipes and beautiful photos. Abolutely awesome 🙂 I’ll keep visiting 🙂

July 28, 2013 at 7:36 pm

Aw, thank you! 🙂 And yes, if you don’t like store-bought sodas, making your own at home is super easy and you can make an endless number of flavors!

Crista
    July 28, 2013 at 3:25 pm

this is a great idea! and easy to make….

• 1 2