This veggie-packed vegetarian gumbo recipe is made in a slow cooker, so it's super easy to make - and it's a healthy vegan option as well!
Kidney beans, zucchini, and mushrooms, replace the meat in this healthy, goodness-packed slow-cooker stew.
And don't worry! The heat is still there with the addition of Cajun seasoning and hot sauce.
If you're not opposed to meatless sausage, Field Roast's Sausage would be a great way to add some heat (and a little faux meatiness) too.
And if you love this vegetarian gumbo, be sure to check out these other tasty recipes:
- 17 Best Vegetarian Slow Cooker Recipes
- Spicy Vegetarian Chickpea Stew
- The Ultimate Vegetarian Comfort Foods
Servings: 4 -6 servings
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 14.5 oz diced tomatoes canned
- 15 oz kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 8 oz white mushrooms quartered
- 1 small zucchini cut into thick half moons
- 1 cup frozen okra sliced
- 2 tbsp vegetarian worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp cajun seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper to taste
- hot sauce and cooked rice for serving
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, celery, and garlic and cook until softened and just beginning to brown, 8–10 minutes. Transfer veggies to a 4–6 quart slow cooker.
- Return the Dutch oven to the stovetop and heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in it. Stir in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, until it's golden brown, about 4 minutes. Pour in the broth and bring to a boil; once the broth has come to a boil, transfer it to the slow cooker. Add all of the remaining ingredients to the slow cooker except the hot sauce and cooked rice.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 6–8 hours. Once the gumbo has finished cooking, remove the bay leaf and add more salt and pepper to taste if needed. Serve over rice with hot sauce.
Calories: 298kcalCarbohydrates: 46gProtein: 14gFat: 8gSaturated Fat: 1gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 5gSodium: 594mgPotassium: 1270mgFiber: 13gSugar: 10gVitamin A: 1718IUVitamin C: 55mgCalcium: 127mgIron: 6mg
Craving more veg-friendly recipes? Shop our collection of vegetarian and vegan cookbooks, including our new Vegan Thanksgiving and Vegan Christmas cookbooks!
Angel Ayden says
Wow, this looks fantastic! It's amazing how you guys replaced meat with kidney beans, zucchini and mushrooms. Mushrooms are my all time favorite and I love them so much.