This hearty farro recipe is a surefire crowd-pleaser. Farro is tossed with a zesty sun-dried tomato and walnut pesto and pan-fried eggplant. It cooks up in just 30 minutes and can be enjoyed warm or cold, so it's great for meal prep. And it's 100% vegan too!
If you're new to the world of farro - prepared to be amazed. This delicious grain is perfect for cooking up a hearty, healthy vegan dinner that the whole family will love.
In this recipe, farro teams up with one of my own favorite ingredients - sun dried tomatoes - for an insanely good sun dried tomato pesto.
Toss it all with some fresh eggplant- and you have a flavorful meal that's ready in just 30 minutes!
And because this farro can be served hot or cold, it also makes a great packable vegetarian lunch.
This farro recipe is:
- Packed with flavor from a zest sun-dried tomato pesto sauce.
- Ready in 30 minutes!
While you're here, be sure to grab our FREE 5-Day Meatless Meal Plan. It's packed with tasty recipes to make vegetarian cooking easy and delicious!
What is farro?
Farro is an ancient grain that is packed with fiber, protein, and antioxidants. It's a great healthy replacement for refined grains such as rice and pasta - but every bit as delicious.
How to Make Farro
- Boil the farro 15-20 minutes, until al dente. (Check the package directions, as cook time can vary by brand.)
- Combine sun dried tomatoes, walnuts, parsley, garlic, olive oil, salt, and lemon juice in a food processor to form the sun dried tomato pesto.
- Fry eggplant slices for 3-5 minutes per side, until golden brown.
- Combine the farro, sun dried tomato pesto, and eggplant.
- Serve warm or cold.
Scroll down for the full printable recipe with measurements and detailed instructions.
Tips & Tricks
Meal prep it!
This farro can be kept in the refrigerator for 2-3 days, and can be served hot or cold. It's a perfect recipe for for vegan meal prep.
Freeze Extra Pesto
This pesto is totally delicious and you'll be wanting to try it in all kinds of vegan pasta recipes. Make extra, freeze it in an ice cube tray (these silicone ones work best), and you'll have fresh sun dried tomato pesto ready for months!
Food Processor Alternatives
Switch up the Sauce
And if you have a nut allergy, be sure to check out this nut-free pesto sauce!
Mix up the Veggies
Try adding your own favorite veggies based on what's in season. It works well with sauteed zucchini or mushrooms. Or toss in some fresh tomatoes.
Add Some Cheese
If you're not concerned with keeping this recipe vegan, then bring on the cheese! This farro is delicious with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese or topped with some crumbled feta.
If you love this recipe, you might like these other delicious recipes:
- Eggplant Tahini Kebabs
- Miso Glazed Eggplant
- Sun Dried Tomato and Feta Dip
- Tortellini with Sun Dried Tomatoes
- Cook the farro according to package instructions. (This can vary slightly by brand.)
- Combine all the pesto ingredients in a food processor and blend for 3-4 minutes, until it forms a thick paste.
- Heat 3 tbsp of olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Add eggplant slices to the pan, in a single layer.
- Fry for 2-3 minutes, until lightly browned. Flip the pieces and cook the other side for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from pan when pieces are browned on both sides and slightly soft.
- Toss the cooked farro with the sun-dried tomato pesto. Gently fold in the cooked eggplant.
- Serve hot or cold.