It’s carrot season over here, and my goal is to eat as many carrots as possible until I start turning orange.
I usually prefer eating my carrots straight up (even with a little dirt still on them). They taste the sweetest this way. However, a girl can only eat so much dirt, and these carrot fritters with cumin-lime cashew cream are a pretty amazing way to prepare them.
Carrots are one of my favorite crops that my husband and I grow on our farm. Fresh carrots are the best because they tend to be sweeter and crunchier than store-bought carrots. Carrots prefer cooler weather, but can withstand some heat. Since we farm in Oregon, we are able to grow carrots all summer long because it doesn’t get too hot here, but if you’re in a warmer climate, now is the perfect time to start thinking about growing carrots for harvesting in the fall. They can be a little finicky to grow, but if you are working with light, well-drained, fertile soil, they are a great addition to your garden. Besides, if you grow your own you can choose varieties that are just as beautiful as they are tasty — the Colorful Carrot Heirloom Mix from Cubit’s is a great way to try a few different kinds.
If growing carrots isn’t a reality for you, don’t worry. Head to your local farmers market and pick up the goods to make these simple and delicious carrot fritters. They are a great appetizer for a dinner party—or a complete meal when served with a side salad and a glass of your favorite wine. Cheers!
This post was originally published August 3, 2014.Print
Carrot Fritters with Cumin-Lime Cashew Cream
Our recipe tester proclaimed these carrot fritters one of the best things she’s ever made — they’re that good!
- Prep Time: 4 hours
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Total Time: 4 hours 12 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
For the cashew cream:
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked in water for at least 4 hours
- 1/2 cup water + more to thin if necessary
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
For the fritters:
- 2 cups shredded carrots (about 5 carrots)
- 1 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Prepare the cashew cream by combining all the ingredients together in a food processor and processing until you’ve reached a consistency of whipped cream. Add more water if necessary. Taste test and adjust seasonings if needed. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the shredded carrots, cilantro, chickpea flour, onion, cumin, and salt. Add in the eggs and water and stir until well combined.
- Heat the coconut oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Scoop the fritter mixture into the pan in 1/4-cup portions and lightly flatten them with a spatula. Cook for about 3 minutes per side or until golden brown.
- Serve with cashew cream and additional cilantro.