4 Ways/ Tips & Hints

4 Ways to Use Leftover Cabbage

4 Ways to Use Leftover Cabbage

4 Ways to Use Leftover Cabbage
If the subject of this post doesn’t make sense to you, then you probably don’t cook with cabbage very often. But if you do, I have a feeling you have probably dealt with the leftover cabbage dilemma. Very few recipes call for an entire head of cabbage, so unless you happen to shop at one of those fantastic supermarkets that sell halved cabbage heads (or you’re lucky enough to find a small cabbage), you’re probably going to have some leftovers to use up afterwards. So here are 4 easy ways to use leftover cabbageโ€”and they’re all made with ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen!

Roasted Cabbage SlicesRoasted Cabbage Slices // Roasting makes everything taste better and cabbage is no exception. Cut your cabbage into 1-inch thick slices, brush them on both sides with olive or grapeseed oil, and season them with salt, pepper, and a few sprinkles of Italian seasoning. Put the cabbage slices on a baking sheet, and roast them at 400ยบF for 30-40 minutes, flipping them over halfway through cooking time. You’ll know they’re done when they’re tender in the middle and browned and crispy on the edges.

Cabbage Stir FryCabbage Stir Fry // This stir fry looks unassuming, but it’s so good! Roughly chop half a head of cabbage and whisk together 2 tablespoons of tamari or soy sauce, 1 teaspoon each of rice vinegar, honey, and toasted sesame oil, a few squeezes of sriracha, and a minced clove of garlic. Heat a large skillet or wok to medium high, then swirl it with oil to coat. Add the cabbage and a handful of raw cashews and cook until the cabbage is almost tender, about 5 minutes. Pour the sauce into the skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes more, or until the cabbage is soft and the sauce has reduced a bit. If you’re serving this over rice or quinoa, you can double the sauce and if you have other veggies on hand that need to be used, you can throw those in with the cabbage too.

Baked Cabbage ChipsBaked Cabbage Chips // Cabbage can be made into chips! Just like kale! Although this recipe from Bon Appetit is for savoy cabbage, I’ve used it successfully with regular cabbage too. I like adding flavored salts to mineโ€”curry and smoked paprika salt work especially well, although if you don’t have flavored salts, plain salt and pepper is just as tasty.

Easy Cabbage SlawEasy Cabbage Slaw // Cabbage slaw makes a great topping for barbecue tofu or tempeh sandwiches; I toss about a cup of shredded cabbage with a tablespoon each of apple cider vinegar and olive oil, a pinch of sugar, and salt and pepper to taste. If you’re having tacos, try making a slaw with freshly squeezed lime juice instead. When I have them on hand, I usually add thinly sliced green onions, shredded carrots, and cilantro too.

Do you have a favorite way to use leftover cabbage? Share it in the comments below!

February 18, 2014 at 8:49 am

I don’t cook with heads of cabbage…well, ever but I think my mom would love that slaw. Bookmarked for summer!

Meg @ Beard and Bonnet
    February 18, 2014 at 9:09 am

Well those cabbage chips are simply brilliant!!! Love this entire post Kiersten.:)

Rhey
    February 18, 2014 at 9:20 am

My mom always used to boil it with pickling spices until tender and serve. That’s actually how I learned to like it.

Kiersten Frase
      February 19, 2014 at 7:32 pm

My mom boiled it too! She’d serve it with butter and I used to love it like that. ๐Ÿ™‚

Kelli @ The Corner Kitchen
    February 18, 2014 at 9:20 am

This is such an awesome post!!!! I used to secretly have buying cabbage for recipes bc it took up a decent amount of space in my fridge AND i rarely even used half the head of cabbage in a recipe. That problem is solved forever….thanks ๐Ÿ™‚

Kiersten Frase
      February 19, 2014 at 7:37 pm

I have felt the same way about buying cabbage. But roasted cabbage slices are a gamechanger. ๐Ÿ™‚

Disha Kapadia
    February 18, 2014 at 9:40 am

I love making salads out of cabbage usually, must try the stir fry this time though… might have to substitute some ingredients for the ones I can find in my Indian kitchen! ๐Ÿ™‚

Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl
    February 18, 2014 at 10:26 am

I am always looking for ways to use leftover cabbage so I thank you so much in advance in helping me out here!

dishing up the dirt
    February 18, 2014 at 11:33 am

I love cabbage and I love all the extra uses for it! The baked cabbage chips sound amazing!

Alissa N @ Girl Makes Food
    February 18, 2014 at 11:51 am

I think I currently have 4 partial heads of cabbage in my fridge at this very moment. I don’t really know how that happened, I think winter is making me delirious, but wow these are such a fantastic way for me to use them so they don’t sit there until spring!! I am super into slaws right now (that’s a thing people get into right?) so I am loving that idea!!

Kiersten Frase
      February 19, 2014 at 7:29 pm

Yeah, sometimes I have cabbage of every variety sitting in the crisper drawer. :/

Sherrie | With Food + Love
    February 18, 2014 at 12:19 pm

This is brilliant. I get cabbage in my winter CSA share allllll the time and I NEVER know what to do with it besides just a simple cabbage saute.

Love this,
    XOX SHERRIE

Maria Tadic
    February 18, 2014 at 12:52 pm

I’ve never thought of cabbage chips before! What a cool idea! Do they get just as crispy as kale chips???

Kiersten Frase
      February 19, 2014 at 7:28 pm

They do! I actually like them a little bit more than kale chips, although they’re more of a hassle to make.

Gina @ So Let's Hang Out
    February 18, 2014 at 12:53 pm

Did my fridge text you again with it’s personal problems? I am currently dealing with a “what the heck do i do with the cabbage” crisis. NO LONGER! Mama’s gonna make some slaw.

Kiersten Frase
      February 19, 2014 at 7:28 pm

Go use that cabbage! Use the heck out of it!

jaswinder kaur
    February 18, 2014 at 2:06 pm

How to make cabbage chips.I love your post.thanks for giving ideas

Laura @ The Table blog
    February 18, 2014 at 2:29 pm

Awesome! I get cabbage in my CSA share and struggle with how to use all of it. My favorite is actually a fresh cabbage salad with a thai peanut dressing. I throw in whatever other veggies we have on hand and it is so yummy! I also like a bit shredded on soft tacos, but that uses so little.
    Looking forward to using the rest of my next head of cabbage roasted or in that stir fry!

Kiersten Frase
      February 19, 2014 at 7:26 pm

I love cabbage in salads too. ๐Ÿ™‚ Pairing it with a peanut dressing sounds perfect!

February 18, 2014 at 3:32 pm

Well duh! Can’t believe I never thought of cabbage chips! So excited to try it!

February 18, 2014 at 4:51 pm

Thanks so much for this! How did you know that we have half a head of cabbage in the fridge right now? ๐Ÿ™‚ I never would have thought to roast it!

Kiersten Frase
      February 19, 2014 at 7:23 pm

I kind of figured the whole spare cabbage thing was a common problem. ๐Ÿ™‚ I knew I couldn’t be the only one!

Gaby
    February 18, 2014 at 5:00 pm

Thai salad rolls!

Joanne
    February 18, 2014 at 8:36 pm

YES. This is my life. Especially since one of us *ahem* refuses to eat cabbage. I see some cabbage chips in my future!!

Kiersten Frase
      February 19, 2014 at 7:21 pm

Chris doesn’t like cabbage, so I kind of feel like I’m on my own with it too. Although he does really like it roasted and stir fried, but other than that, he won’t eat it.

Susanne
    February 18, 2014 at 8:38 pm

Fried cabbage. Chop and fry a half lb of bacon and diced onion before it is done. Drain grease off. Add about half a head of thinly sliced cabbage. Stir fry till cabbage is soft but not wilted. Squeeze juice of one whole lemon into the cabbage. Heat through and serve

Connie
    February 18, 2014 at 9:20 pm

I totally have leftover cabbage in the fridge! I vote for slaw!

Lee at Veggie Quest
    February 18, 2014 at 9:44 pm

Kiersten, love these ideas! Leftover cabbage is also good in a smoothie, especially one with a pear or apple base. (Easy way to work in more cruciferous veggies!)

Kiersten Frase
      February 19, 2014 at 7:20 pm

I’ve never thought to put it in a smoothie! I’ll have to try that. ๐Ÿ™‚

Angie (@angiesrecipess)
    February 18, 2014 at 11:00 pm

I love those cabbage chips! So fun and creative, Kiersten.

February 18, 2014 at 11:46 pm

I can never use the whole head of cabbage, and I still have part of one in the fridge. I used it for a stir fry, then it sat in the crisper for a while. I made cole slaw a couple times this week, but I want to try roasting it. I tried in the past and got these burnt, dry pieces, so I’m going to try again per your directions.

Kiersten Frase
      February 19, 2014 at 7:19 pm

If it starts burning on the edges, you can pull those leaves off and put the rest back in the oven. ๐Ÿ™‚ If the cabbage isn’t compact and has leaves loose on the sides, sometimes those will burn.

Lily (A Rhubarb Rhapsody)
    February 19, 2014 at 5:11 am

This is so handy! I don’t think I’ve ever managed to finish a whole head of cabbage ever.

Marta @ What should I eat for breakfast today
    February 19, 2014 at 12:13 pm

Cabbage chips, here I come ๐Ÿ˜€

Emma
    February 19, 2014 at 12:19 pm

Yes! I definitely relate to this problem. Cabbage seems to breed in my fridge it seems.
    I usually find myself eating slaw for days on end but I’m definitely trying that easy stir-fried cabbage next time.

Kiersten Frase