Have you tried your hand at spiralized vegetable noodles yet? They’re all the rage, and for a good reason! Veggie noodles are a fun way to get some extra nutrients into your diet, and they’re super easy to prepare. I love my spiralizer so much that I can’t help but make doe eyes at it and commend it for all the deliciously healthy meals it has brought to my table.
Chances are, you or someone you know was blessed with an abundant crop of zucchini this year. Spiralizing it into noodles is a great way of using up a lot of squash in one go once you’ve had your fill of zucchini bread, zucchini muffins, and zucchini everything else. If you’re new to spiralizing vegetables, you can use a hand-held or free-standing spiralizer — I use a Spirelli, which I reviewed over on the Marketplace. No matter what tool you use, it takes seconds to turn vegetables into noodles – quicker than boiling a pot of pasta!
You can serve zucchini noodles with marinara or pesto, just like regular noodles, but this version is tossed in a light lemon-garlic dressing. While the tomatoes are roasting in the oven, spiralize the zucchini and whisk together the dressing — the whole meal is finished in less than 30 minutes! And if you don’t want to turn on the oven, that’s okay too — fresh tomatoes or sun-dried tomatoes will work just as well.
This post was originally published July 28, 2014.
Zucchini noodles tossed with oven-roasted tomatoes, pine nuts, and a garlicky lemon dressing.
- 10 ounces grape tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil (or any neutral-flavored cooking oil you have on hand)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt to taste
- 2 pounds zucchini, spiralized
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Toss together the grape tomatoes, oil, oregano and a pinch of salt on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the skins begin to wrinkle and move away from the flesh. Remove from the oven and let the tomatoes cool slightly.
- Place the zucchini noodles in a large serving bowl.
- Whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, lemon zest, and garlic; pour it over the zucchini noodles and toss to coat. Add the roasted tomatoes and pine nuts and serve.