This Vanilla Pot De Creme is loaded with flavor from white chocolate, honey-roasted figs, and cherries. It's creamy, decadent, and totally worthy of being your Thanksgiving or Christmas dessert.
Can you believe the holidays are sneaking up on us again already?
These little creamy white pots of chocolatey goodness are flecked with black vanilla seeds, and topped with honey-roasted figs and cherries.
I'm a sucker for figs - they are my very favorite fruit and I'll eat them anyway I can get them.
Tips for Making a Vanilla Pot de Creme!
Prepare the vanilla pots in advance.
These little vanilla pots de creme take about an hour to put together, and another three hours to chill before serving.
This makes them the perfect make-ahead dessert for holiday gatherings. You can prepare the pots de creme the night before your gathering, and they'll be ready to serve the next day.
Same for the roasted figs and cherries.
And in fact, I think they benefit from sitting overnight along with the roasting spices. It lets all the flavors meld together!
Experiment with the toppings!
While I think the figs and cherries are just perfect for this, feel free to experiment with your own favorite toppings.
I bet roasted strawberries would be another delicious topping for a vanilla pot de creme.
Or you could simply top your vanilla pots with fresh fruit, or a bit of white chocolate shavings.
And if you are looking for some more holiday dessert options, check out these recipes:
- Eggnog Truffles
- Strawberry-Chocolate Chip Christmas Wreaths
- Scottish Tablet
- Cookies and Cream Cheesecake Truffles
- 1 cup whipping cream or heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 vanilla bean seeds scraped (keep the pod for the roasted figs and cherries)
- 4 egg yolks
- ¼ cup caster sugar
- 300 g white chocolate chopped, 10 ½ ozs
- HONEY ROASTED FIGS AND CHERRIES:
- 2 figs cut into eighths
- 2 cups cherries pitted
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tspp olive oil
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ½ star anise
- ½ tsp nutmeg grated
- Combine the milk, cream and vanilla bean seeds in a saucepan over a medium heat and bring to a boil. While the cream mixture is coming to a boil whisk the egg yolks and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer until pale and glossy. When the cream has come to the boil switch the mixer to it’s slowest speed and add the cream slowly so as not to curdle the eggs. When combined return the mixture to the saucepan and place over a medium low heat and stir continuously until the mixture thickens and coats the back of the spoon thickly, around 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add the chocolate and whisk until smooth. Divide the mixture between 6 small glasses or small ramekins. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 3 hours to set.
- While the pots de creme are setting make the honey roasted figs and cherries. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180 C), and line a small roasting pan with baking paper. Place the cherries, figs, oil, spices, honey and the remaining vanilla pod in the roasting pan and toss gently until coated. Roast for 15 minutes, or until the figs are softened. Allow to cool in the pan and place the fruit in a sealed container, along with any pan juices and the spices and refrigerate overnight. Remove the spices before serving.
- Serve the roasted fruit on top of the pots de creme.